Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Matt_the_Rat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2008, 7:22 pm

My mom is really struggling financially. She is working three different jobs and still just barely manages to pay the bills on time. I only get in about 4-5 hours of work a week on minimum wage, so I can't really help. To make matters worse, my mom can't get me medical insurance for my medications. The three companies she went to all said they can't insure me because they "have to assume all autistics are rain man" First off, this is insulting, because I am very high functioning. Secondly it's ridiculous because my mom says these people would provide coverage for plenty of other disorders like cerebral palsy and schizophrenia.

Basically, I'm hoping somebody here has medical insurance, and can tell me how I can get it. I live in Illinois, if that makes any difference.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 7:38 pm

Matt_the_Rat wrote:
My mom is really struggling financially. She is working three different jobs and still just barely manages to pay the bills on time. I only get in about 4-5 hours of work a week on minimum wage, so I can't really help. To make matters worse, my mom can't get me medical insurance for my medications. The three companies she went to all said they can't insure me because they "have to assume all autistics are rain man" First off, this is insulting, because I am very high functioning. Secondly it's ridiculous because my mom says these people would provide coverage for plenty of other disorders like cerebral palsy and schizophrenia.

Basically, I'm hoping somebody here has medical insurance, and can tell me how I can get it. I live in Illinois, if that makes any difference.

WOW! Is there any way you can get the psychologist to make it clear that you are relatively normal?

You MIGHT want to check: http://www.idfpr.com/DOI/Default2.asp Check with the state insurance commissioner, and tell THEM your story.

ALSO, was your family continuously covered from your birth? THAT might be crucial to getting coverage.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 9:02 pm

If your mom contacts the drug companies that make the prescription medications that you are taking and explains that you are
low income and cannot obtain health insurance to get the medication you need... the drugs companies will often provide them to you...free of charge.

All drug companies have websites and your mom can contact them through the email address on their Home Page. All that is usually required is that she mail them a copy of the prescription form signed by a medical doctor (what you usually take to a pharmacy) verifying that you are indeed on such medications...and the drug companies will send her the medication by snail mail.

Good luck!

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 9:28 pm

Personally, I think that should be grounds for filing an ADA lawsuit because they are basing their decision on stereotypes. I would be talking to someone like the human rights commission in Illinois.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 9:33 pm

If you're 18 or younger, you should check out http://www.allkidscovered.com/ I think you can get free health insurance through the state and the income limits are pretty high. A family of four can earn up to $103,000 a year to get government subsidized health insurance and earn up to $30,000 to get it for free.

Anyone who has limited income can get most prescription drugs for free. Check out http://www.needymeds.com/ and https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php and you can search for prescription assistance programs for low income persons (the income limits are pretty high).

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 9:38 pm

If anyone in the US wants health insurance this site tells you the laws and your rights in each states and what insurance options are available http://www.healthinsuranceinfo.net/

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2008, 1:52 am

Yet another reason I'm reluctant to get a formal Dx.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Feb 2008, 12:32 pm

i only have hospital insurance. and for some reason i have presription drug coverage wich i dont understand because i dont take any meds

Matt_the_Rat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2008, 10:13 pm

richardbenson wrote:
i only have hospital insurance. and for some reason i have presription drug coverage wich i dont understand because i dont take any meds

What do you mean you have hospital insurance? How did you get it?