Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jaimee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2008, 3:26 pm

Random question: Do you think that you experience music differently from a non AS person?

Also...
I am studying the transition to adulthood and am looking for people to participate in my project who have been diagnosed Aspergers or high-functioning autism and are between the ages of 18 and 25.

Its a 15 minute, completely anonymous survey.
I really appreciate any support!

I will gladly share the results when I am finished. The results will focus on how people with Aspergers/ HFA experience Emerging adulthood compared to non-autistic spectrum individuals

Jaimee Schulson

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2008, 3:45 pm

Yes, I think I experience music differently from a neurotypical.
Why did you create a new account?

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 10:42 pm

For me, music is much more about the emotion involved (since it is one of the few ways I can feel the NT range of emotions), and the meaning of the lyrics (if any are present)...

I don't dance to music. Music isn't just something to accompany dance parties or the "club atmosphere" as some NT's would think.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 11:49 pm

Well, I'm a singer, so I experience music differently from a person who's not a musician. But I do think people with AS feel it differently, because (and that's the beauty of music), it can express about every emotion imaginable, but at the same time it's all about math and formulas. In some way I could say that music serves as a translator between NT and aspie language.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 12:03 am

As a music therapy grad student, I'm also interested in this. I might ask you jaimee if you would not mind adding a question about music preference? If you haven't and still can add a question that is?

*blinks cutely at you*

As for me, I find that I enjoy a lot of music that a lot of people don't like--especially stuff that tends a little on the wildly hectic (but steady) rhythmic, crazy horns screaming into the stratosphere, bass blowing parts that feel a storm in the distance picking up speed. :) And that's the stuff that I'll stick on repeat that drives people nuts.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"