Do you have OCD?
Yes 74%  74%  [ 26 ]
No 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 35

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2008, 5:24 pm

I am curious if a significant percentage of people with AS have OCD.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 6:09 pm

Keep in mind that the results may not be completely accurate, as there can be some degree of overlap with the symptoms.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 6:18 pm

I read a study that said autistics have OC traits but it's different from OCD. People with OCD are like Monk on TV.

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2008, 6:22 pm

I don't think that I have OCD as described outside of AS.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 6:24 pm

zendell wrote:
People with OCD are like Monk on TV.

That's an extreme case of OCD, actually.

Most are not affected that much.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 6:35 pm

I have dermatillomania (however you spell it...!), which is apparently a form of OCD... haven't ticked the box yet, do you want to count it or not? :P

(I'm going to a hypnotist soon to beat it though so it'll be gone within a few months...).

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 6:43 pm

Punch the YES button 4x... 4 people in my house, 4 cases of OCD.... or as my best friend insists... CDO, in alphabetical order, the way it SHOULD be....

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

07 Jan 2008, 6:51 pm

undiagnosed, but it's common knowledge to those who know me

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 6:52 pm

beau99 wrote:
zendell wrote:
People with OCD are like Monk on TV.

That's an extreme case of OCD, actually.

Most are not affected that much.

On a technical note, Monk's problems seem ego-syntonic, and therefore, OCPD, obsessive compulsive personality disorder, rather than just OCD. Can anyone confirm my suspicion?

When I was a child, I washed my hands very often, frequently to the point of bleeding, and sometimes I have truly horrible thoughts that leak into my head (like I get anxious around blades because I can't shake the image of me stabbing someone), so OCD traits seem to be present, but I cannot truly say that I have it. Haven't voted yet.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 7:15 pm

I have OCD but I don't have compulsions. I have what's called "Pure-O", pure obsessions. I worry about things, have thoughts about hurting people that upset me a lot.

07 Jan 2008, 7:50 pm

I thought I had it because I have seen my mother mention ng it about me and it was in my records from my school. Then she said I don't have it or I'd be crippled by it. OCD cripples you.

I've been afraid of getting dirty, hated dirt and germs, obsessed about being clean. I used to be a perfectionist but then got over the clean freak stuff. I don't have my apartment like it's in a display magazine.
I washed my hands a lot when I was ten and they cracked and were bleeding so my mother bought me some lotion and told me I can't wash my hands a lot or it wrecks them and that was why my skin was dry and cracked. So I stopped washing my hands a lot.

I believe I have OCD tendencies because some things I have to do or it drives me crazy. I do get obsessive thinking patterns and get stuck on thoughts. One night the toilet was dirty and I had to wash it because it was driving me crazy so my boyfriend did it because he wanted me to stay calm and do my routine.

use_your_words
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2008, 9:42 pm

My mom, who's a psychologist, says that I have a lot of "OCD-like tendencies" - as in I often have strange compulsions about things. I don't actually have OCD, though.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 10:03 pm

Nope, no OCD here. Sure I can be a bit of a germaphobe and I like to keep things organized, but that's really about it.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 12:26 am

corroonb wrote:
I have OCD but I don't have compulsions. I have what's called "Pure-O", pure obsessions. I worry about things, have thoughts about hurting people that upset me a lot.

Yeah, I got dxed with "atypical" OCD for the same reason.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

LogicAndJeans
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2008, 2:00 am

twoshots wrote:

When I was a child, I washed my hands very often, frequently to the point of bleeding, and sometimes I have truly horrible thoughts that leak into my head (like I get anxious around blades because I can't shake the image of me stabbing someone), so OCD traits seem to be present, but I cannot truly say that I have it. Haven't voted yet.

I have some of those same traits... the thoughts of hurting people thing. I am also scared of the dark and things getting me. I have in the past had to check the cupboard and under the bed before I can go to sleep, and also that the door is locked, windows closed etc. I also tend to wash my hands a fair bit... But I'm not diagnosed with OCD.

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2008, 2:50 am

I don't know.

I have to constantly check if my car's e-brake is on, even when I leave it in gear and know it won't roll I have to go back in my car and pull the lever just in case. I also go back to check if I locked it. I might be inside the grocery store and then come back out because I felt I didn't lock it.

I spend hours thinking about a certain topic. For example, if I'm in a relationship I will think of the things I said, what things I'm going to say, how to say those things, the actions I've done, how I might have hurt the person, how something a person said made me feel, how my thoughts can make the person feel...for like the whole day or more. I can't do work, school work, or anything else.

I become anxious around weapons or objects that can be used like such. I feel if I hold it a certain way someone will get injured, I'll injure myself either intentionally or unintentionally. When I put gas in my car, it has to end on an even number. I can't stand overlapping breaks on a page and I constantly reorganize the ways books and paper are set up. When I am reading I constantly re-read, and when writing an essay I never feel confident--constantly editing and re-editing (even informal papers).

I've been like this since elementary, I think.

OCD or just some OCD traits?

I don't think I'm TOO compulsive. I can control myself, I think.

I think the fact that I obsess over the idea of having OCD is OCD. :lol: