Could I talk to some Aspies with depression and/or anxiety?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 12:21 am

I have both, and I'm having a hard time dealing tonight. I'm hoping hearing other people's side of things will help me, as I feel so alone right now.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 12:26 am

I'm going to bed now, but I don't expect my mood to switch, so I would apperiate as many nice (or not so nice if that's what you want to do) as possible :D

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 12:27 am

If other people are teaming up on you, I know exactly how you feel. That's what I'm going through right now.

Actually, I think I'm a fairly nice person, direspected as I am.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

peppicatred
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2008, 12:30 am

i have both.

I find when im depressed, playing a video game or drawing makes me feel better.

even watching a dvd or video.

:D hope i was able to help.

Peppi

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 1:15 am

Exercise is SO important!
For both.

Click on the link in my sig for some words of advice concerning anxiety.

For depression;distraction,participation.You have your interests -find a community that shares it and involve yourself with them.
Ban 'I' from your mental vocabulary.
Focus your energies outward,help and support those less fortunate than youself,be humbled that what you have is a bounty in comparison.
Love something,anything.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 1:19 am

yeah excersise always lifts me right out.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 1:58 am

syzygyish wrote:
Exercise is SO important!

SeaBright wrote:
yeah excersise always lifts me right out.

I know exercise is important. I use it a lot. Although being reminded of it right now wasn't good because I haven't been able to exercise for over a week because I f****d up my back. :evil: Consequently, I'm even more depressed than usual at the moment. The painkillers I'm on seem to be making me even more anxious than usual. And I'm usually depressed and anxious anyway, so if you're looking for someone depressed and anxious to talk to, I'm the right guy.

Anyway, hope you feel better when you wake up ebec.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 2:24 am

I wouldn't know if I've depression. I wouldn't know how it feels because I am not even sure what I am feeling most of the time. I'm very much stuck in my head trying to find out why I am feeling a certain way (my counselor and I came to the conclusion that I'm disconnected emotionally).

I do get very down to the point others can notice that there is something very wrong with me. This happened to me Friday when I, lost in time, missed an exam with no chance of making it up. I became very anxious and "depressed". I stay up all night wondering what to do and how to do things. What brings me out of it is time. I've not the strength to exercise, but driving does sooth me. Reading also relaxes me, if I've the focus to read.

Try to watch something that directs your attention elsewhere. This doesn't really work on me as I will still have the underlying cause of my emotions but it will at least bring new things in my head that will eventually overpower my negative thoughts.

dork-hadou
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2008, 2:34 am

I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from depression. It can be hard to live with sometimes, to be sure. One of my favorite "get happy" activities is actually cleaning up. I'm a huge slob most of the time, and when I'm really depressed getting rid of all my accumulated junk is very therapeutic.

In any case, I'm offering you a great big hug (or happy happy thoughts if hugs aren't your thing).

Bea
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2008, 3:57 am

Yeah, hugs. Hope you're feeling better by the time you read this. I've had problems with depression off and on for years. For awhile I was on Prozac, and that helped some, but in order to keep it working I had to keep shifting the dose so I stayed at the point where the side effects were strongest (made me feel like crawling out of my skin.) Haven't been on that med for a few years now. If you can, getting out to experience something new might lift your spirits. Maybe look through the newspaper to find the community calendar and see if there are any local plays (high school or other theater groups), concerts, slide shows, book readings. Something where you don't have to spend a lot of energy on trying to fit in to the social crowd. Something with a good story would be best. A story can take you out of yourself. Or start writing one of your own. Make up the characters you want to have in your story, imagine these characters in exciting circumstances. In your mind picture every detail of what they wear, what they say. Sometimes what helps me is to reorganize my desk, or the broom closet, or make some other kind of improvement in my living space. Change things around a little. And like some others have said, exercise is essential. Do you have a good place where you can get out and walk for awhile?

jade10025
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2008, 1:42 pm

I have both as well. besides exercise and medications, the thing ive found most helpfull is to try and find as many things that are causing me anxiety and depression. make a list. then, see if there are any of those factors that you can change. for example, I have a friend who makes horrible decisions. He gets himself into weird complicated situations, then calls me to give him advise and reassure him that its ok he made the decisions he did. i dont know why he does this as i never tell him he made a good decision, and give him advise how to get out. he then calls some teenage friend who tells him what he wants to hear and goes on that. Its a waste of my time, and being constantly reminded of the bad outcomes that are inevitable gives me anxiety attacks and the fact he refuses to listen to my advise he keeps asking for makes me feel lass valued, used. As much as i love him like a brother, I have stopped listening to his problems, stopped giving him advice, and cut back on the time i spend with him. I have reclaimed my sanity that he was taking away. It feels good to not be helpless and to fix the things you can for you. And accept the things yo cant change, and let them go as best as us obsessive aspies can, lol. thats the hardest for me, anyway. I hope you feel better! I hate when i get depressive/anxiety periods.

Billard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2008, 8:09 pm

I also have both depression and anxiety.

While it took me a couple of years of hell to find an effective medication combination, I finally found the right person who was able to come up with a drug combination that works for me. Before that happened, I tried a lot of things that would either do nothing at all, or help a bit, but not enough, or would help, but had unacceptable side effects. I finally had to ask my therapist and my medical dispenser to get together and I asked them if how I was feeling was the best they could do. As a result, they referred me to another office, and the people in that office have been great.

While I know exercise would help me, frankly, I loathe exercise, so that has not been much of a help to me.

It takes time to find the combination of medications that work. Then you need to fine-tune dosages as things change. Don't accept anything less than feeling more-or-less normal. I've been over-medicated, under-medicated, and had to deal with some very unpleasant side effects. All those are things that you need to take back to them and have them deal with it. Remember -- while you may be the one with depression, if the drugs they prescribe are causing you problems, they need to do better.

Right now I think I need a bump in my anxiety drugs, as I'm having trouble concentrating at work. But that's a easy tweak, as I've taken more of my anti-anxiety drugs in the past.

Another person mentioned getting rid of the things (often people) that cause you problems. That one was a key turning point for me. There was a person in my life that was causing me a lot of problems. However, it took me a long time to get well enough to recognize that person as a problem, and to know that I had to ask them to do something about what they were doing to me.

The one thing that has really helped me deal with depression is to keep in mind that depression is a disease, like the flu. When you feel down, remember that it's not *you*, it's the damn depression that is making you feel bad, just like you will have a fever when you get the flu. This trick works for me, anyway.

I don't need a lot of talk therapy, because I know when depression makes me feel bad, I *know* it's the depression talking, not me. Depression causes your mind to play tricks on you. Recognize that *you* would not think those things; the only reason those things pop into your head is because of the sickness you have -- just like you get a fever when you are sick.

So -- hang in there; remember that depression is making you think all the negative things. Work with your providers until you come up with a drug or combination of drugs that make you feel more-or-less normal. Don't accept taking drugs that don't work or have side effects for you. Use talk therapy as much as you need to. Exercise. Get rid of irritants in your life. Do something that cheers you up, even if it's just looking at flowers at a botanical center. Do something you have not done for a while. Get out a bit. Live a little. Share the burden with people who can help you.

I hope I have been of some help. I know that beating depression is a long, hard battle. But know that you can beat it!

Hang in there!

"The difference between me and a mad man is that he is mad" ? Salvador Dali

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 8:18 pm

I have anxiety at certain times, such as during job interviews and behind the wheel driving tests. I find that half a Xanax helps me a lot.