Is lower functioning austim inheritable?

Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 4:44 pm

My first impression would be that it is not, i have the idea that LFAs don't get married or raise kids, of course i've never met one in real life so i don't know.

I think it's important because asperger is inheritable and if LFA isn't then they can't be a different degree of the same thing, there would have to be different causes for LFA and the big question would be how can two different things look so alike.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 4:52 pm

I'm not an expert but, I believe all forms of autism are genetically based. Therefore, they all have a chance of being inherited.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

09 Feb 2008, 4:58 pm

Of course it is.
If a parent has any form of autism it can occur in their children...it can even occur if both parents are NT.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 5:00 pm

Again....and I am saying it again. It IS because LFA/HGA/AS are all psychiatric diagnoses and psychiatry is a BS pseudo-science profession. In my opinion , psychiatrist are the modern witch-doctors and if I was the ruler of the world I would jail them.

When real science is totally able to detect 'LFA/HGA/AS' then they might find out that these 3 three psychiatric labels are 3 totally different disorders with different causes.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 5:01 pm

Assuming that autism in general is genetic, I think that all forms of it would be genetic, regardless of the likelihood of autistic people themselves having children. Most inherited conditions can skip generations, somebody could be carrying the gene without themselves being autistic and it would only show itself in some cases.

If autism was caused by a combination of genes it would account for this thing we call the 'spectrum' - which of the genes you had would determine your particular kind of autism.

Sorry that the vocabulary I'm using isn't very scientific and I don't feel I've explained it very well - can someone else help me out?

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 5:01 pm

My husband and I are aspie types and one of our kids is HF/ aspie, and the other is profoundly autistic. I know it's our genes that passed it on to both. However, I wonder if specturm people don't start out low functioning but have very delicate brains when they're forming that are at risk of becoming low functioning.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 5:05 pm

OregonBecky wrote:
My husband and I are aspie types and one of our kids is HF/ aspie, and the other is profoundly autistic. I know it's our genes that passed it on to both. However, I wonder if specturm people don't start out low functioning but have very delicate brains when they're forming that are at risk of becoming low functioning.

According to my 'imaginary mating system' , you two should never got married or at least got married with adopted children.

How selfish you two are...pfff

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 5:08 pm

All i'm hearing is "I think..." , "I think....", "I think...". I WANT REAL INFO, has nobody ever meet an LFA and his parents? or maybe LFAs dont exist after all...

Last edited by fernando on 09 Feb 2008, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Feb 2008, 5:08 pm

I've read a few posts around here in the GAD, and it seems that if two aspies get married, the likelihood of a kid coming out with Low Functioning Autism is very high.
I don't want to jump to conclusions though, but I'd like to know if this has any basis or not.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 5:10 pm

fernando wrote:
All i'm hearing is "I think..." , "I think....", "I think...". I want real info, has nobody ever meet an LFA and his parents? or maybe LFAs dont exist after all...

Yeah, that what was annoying me lately here : "I think autism is... , ' I think autism that...'

BS

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 5:26 pm

Reyairia wrote:
I've read a few posts around here in the GAD, and it seems that if two aspies get married, the likelihood of a kid coming out with Low Functioning Autism is very high.

If the genes for autism are quantitive, the more the person has, the more autistic he/she is, or in other words, more towards the LFA end of the spectrum he/she is.

I don't know anything about the genetics of autism, but it would make sense and explain why two higher functioning individuals can have a lower functioning child.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 5:26 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
OregonBecky wrote:

According to my 'imaginary mating system' , you two should never got married or at least got married with adopted children.

But if you put our having children into a different perspective, like who more shouldn't have had children, me or Dick Cheney's parents? -then it all looks different.

jonk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2008, 5:33 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
OregonBecky wrote:

I'm her husband and only just noticed this on my own (she didn't point me to it and will be surprised to see me write.)

We sought and received genetic counseling before deciding to have children. At the time, no one thought there was any possible problem. And we certainly should have been married. I love her profoundly and still do after 30 years of living together.

Jon

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 5:39 pm

^^ hmmm ...then you are forgiven :). Good luck with your life.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 6:24 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:

As an aspie who is probably going to marry another aspie (and maybe have kids with him, who knows?), I dislike your eugenics-oriented thinking. It's not up to you to judge other people's choice to have children. I find it pretty disgusting that you would chastise someone for making a personal decision like that. It's even as though you're implying that certain people (most of us on this board!) have "bad" genes that ought not be passed on. If you feel that way for yourself, that's your choice. But don't superimpose your own messed up ideas on others. I agree with OregonBecky, personally. If George and Barbara Bush can inflict their offspring on their world, I don't see why myself and my boyfriend shouldn't (when we're much older and better-prepared).

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 6:28 pm

srriv345 wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:

As an aspie who is probably going to marry another aspie (and maybe have kids with him, who knows?), I dislike your eugenics-oriented thinking. It's not up to you to judge other people's choice to have children. I find it pretty disgusting that you would chastise someone for making a personal decision like that. It's even as though you're implying that certain people (most of us on this board!) have "bad" genes that ought not be passed on. If you feel that way for yourself, that's your choice. But don't superimpose your own messed up ideas on others. I agree with OregonBecky, personally. If George and Barbara Bush can inflict their offspring on their world, I don't see why myself and my boyfriend shouldn't (when we're much older and better-prepared).

It's your personal choice ....but don't back crying here when if you have a HFA or even an LFA child.

Don't you know that Mother Nature is eugenics-oriented btw?

Regards,

Last edited by LePetitPrince on 09 Feb 2008, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.