Do you mentally jump over road markings?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

googlewhack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2008, 4:35 pm

I've been plagued by this my whole life: as I'm being driven, or as I drive myself, I mentally jump over road markings, lamp posts (I imagine a lamp post to be like an invisible line across the road from where the base goes into the ground), road signs and changes in tarmac.

On long motorway journeys this used to drive me mad.

Does anyone else experience this? I suppose it's similar to stepping over cracks in the pavement or jumping over manhole covers, except it's purely a mental jump rather than physical. I just imagine that my car has leapt over the object instead of driven over it, if that makes sense.

I just wonder whether everyone does it, or no-one does it, or it's just a meaningless little quirk.

P.S. I'm not diagosed AS but suspect I have it (in case that helps in how you view this post).

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 4:38 pm

Yes! LOL I didn't think I'd find another person who does this! :lol:

I have to look over lamp posts and landmarkers, almost as if my focal point had to "hop" over these things, or like they can't be visually "touched".

tbam
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2008, 4:40 pm

When I drive I have a game when changing lanes to try and get the tyres to avoid going over the road markings(broken lines). I also notice a distinct but very small frustration at actually hitting the road markings.

I've never really noticed if I mentally visualise jumping over anything in the car, however. So I'm not too sure.

I tend to walk intentionally on the cracks, and on crossings and markings on the road, as I like walking in patterns, and it entertains me to see if i can do it.

I am also unsure of my Dx and am still at early stages of getting referrals etc.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 5:04 pm

Jumping jacks topic

This is the reason why I kept failing the driving test. Too much OCD in this department. I cannot even look at the pavement when i walk and certainly not when I ride a bike because I will literally fall between the cracks, getting caught up in the details of the topography of the sidewalks and roadway, and reading the signs. Walking attention deficit, I suppose.

I hope this is not a safety issue with anyone here.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 5:12 pm

googlewhack wrote:
I've been plagued by this my whole life: as I'm being driven, or as I drive myself, I mentally jump over road markings, lamp posts (I imagine a lamp post to be like an invisible line across the road from where the base goes into the ground), road signs and changes in tarmac.

On long motorway journeys this used to drive me mad.

Does anyone else experience this? I suppose it's similar to stepping over cracks in the pavement or jumping over manhole covers, except it's purely a mental jump rather than physical. I just imagine that my car has leapt over the object instead of driven over it, if that makes sense.

I just wonder whether everyone does it, or no-one does it, or it's just a meaningless little quirk.

P.S. I'm not diagosed AS but suspect I have it (in case that helps in how you view this post).

hahaha oh my... yes... and of course I have to count them all also... like their are 87 vertical girders between my office and my old apartment... :)

googlewhack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2008, 5:25 pm

The good thing about lamp posts on the motorway is that they're numbered!

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 5:29 pm

I used to imagine the Flash running along telephonr pole linrs.

Also as a kid on long trips I imagined the dotted lines "shooting" out of the back window like machine gun fire.

Keoren
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2008, 5:50 pm

I always do this! :D
Never even thought about finding so many other people doing the same.
While in a car, I'm almost like playing a video game, mentally avoiding the obstacles.

TrueDave wrote:

Not Flash, but I also have a character running on the side of the road (on the lines, on the fence, jumping over traffic signs whenever there's something).

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 6:22 pm

Keoren wrote:
I always do this! :D
Never even thought about finding so many other people doing the same.
While in a car, I'm almost like playing a video game, mentally avoiding the obstacles.

TrueDave wrote:

Not Flash, but I also have a character running on the side of the road (on the lines, on the fence, jumping over traffic signs whenever there's something).

i do this, too!! i have a character that does the same thing... i've been doing this since i can remember... never thought it was something other people did, too!! i just thought i was weird.. XD

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2008, 7:15 pm

I used to do that too. I'm glad I don't anymore; it felt like an OCD thing I couldn't stop.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

21 Feb 2008, 7:34 pm

I can't say that I do this. I don't drive, anyway.

lovebat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2008, 7:44 pm

Wow, I thought I was the only one. I feel a little less crazy than I did before. I'm still pretty damn nuts though. :D

LeonKrahe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2008, 1:00 am

I do something kind of like that too!

One thing I've noticed lately is that I seem to feel like I am where I'm looking at; if there's a car 400 feet ahead slowing down to make a turn, most of the time I'll apply my brakes to avoid hitting them before realizing I'm actually much much further behind that car than I actually am! There's no way I'd hit it continuing the same speed, yet my attention is so far ahead so that's where I feel that I am. Intersections are kind of like that too; I almost always stop for the yellow light now because too many times I've run read lights thinking I was further ahead than I really was. >_<

And as a little kid passenger in a car, I'd imagine there being dinosaurs or Sonic the Hedgehog running alongside the car or something lol, thought I was the only one who did that stuff too!

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2008, 1:14 am

Yep, I do (or did) that too.

I guess I don't do it much anymore, and it was never a compulsive thing (like I could not do it if I wanted) but more like something to do when bored in the car...

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 1:21 am

I do that too. Strange how there are always someone else on this site who is excatly like me.

googlewhack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2008, 4:03 am

Heh well good to know there are others out there! Just a note though: my mum also mentally jumps lamp posts and she's not Aspie. At least I know where I get it from!