Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 10:32 pm

My friend and I think they are. Has this been posted before...I'm not sure.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 10:35 pm

.It's said all cats have Aspergers because they do not like being told what to do, intelligent independent, hate change, emotionally detached, inquisitive and have a second sense. - Alyson Bradley

So I think so, and feel most other animals are - maybe its just that we seem to have a second sense like them!

There are a few threads already on this subject....

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2008, 10:36 pm

I've recently realized I prefer cats to dogs, so maybe aspies tend to be cat-people, I dunno.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 10:43 pm

No, they're cats.

:lol:

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 10:51 pm

No, that is neurotypical behavior for cats. We're completely different species; what may be considered unusual behavior for one may be the typical for another.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 10:51 pm

I always used to tell the school that if I were in charge of handing out teaching certificates for teachers to be allowed to work with Spectrum people, I'd require them to teach a cat three dog tricks first. It can be done but they'd have to humble themselves into getting out of their own heads and learning how to teach smart creatures who have different thought processes but do learn on their terms.

If you connect to well to cat culture, I think you can connect well to autism spectrum culture.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 12:28 am

Dunwich wrote:
I've recently realized I prefer cats to dogs, so maybe aspies tend to be cat-people, I dunno.

I noticed that when I first joined this site. I thought I was the only cat person. I lost a cat a year ago and still haven't gotten over it. Now I have a family member who's not doing good. I hate death but I guess it's a part of life. :cry:

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 9:42 am

Am believe cats can be on the autism spectrum,and they're not all aspie like,Biscuit is more Autie-like than anything.

Give it time,and it'll become a official cat diagnosis eventually,OCD and depression have.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 9:58 am

Cat-agorical topic

I think Aspies (in general) prefer animals as there is no judgement. Cats are soft and quiet. They are low maintenance. They are not generally noisy and do not eat as much as dogs, and do not require walks. They may not greet you with wagging tails, but mine jumps on my lap early in the morning before I go to work, while the dogs sleep.

I do love my dogs, but for anyone who needs a pet and has little space/time/money, a cat is the one to go with, unless the dander is a problem.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 10:21 am

I had a cat, Samantha, who was very into music and ate things that were not typical foods for cats. She loved butter. I think her uniqueness helped her to live to be 20 years old. She was also Siamese, which made her even more independent. I have other cats, but I will always remember Samantha.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 12:34 pm

Sorry, I guess what I said didn't fit the topic. I don't know about autism in cats because they can't tell me. As a cat lover though, everyone know they got their own little quirks. My cat doesn't act skiddish around my other one, but he does keep to himself. For example, when my other cat plays, my shy cat will just sit and watch. Same thing when people come over, he isn't skiddish but keeps to himself. :cat:

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2008, 12:43 pm

I have cats. They are themselves. You can't CATegorize them. I get along with them better than I do people.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 12:47 pm

Well time and time again, with my youngest son especially, if a teacher's going to succeed with him, they turn out to have cats.... and if they ONLY have dogs or no pets they never connect with him. We always called him catboy because when he wanted attention he crawled into your lap and curled up, when he was done he got down and walked away without looking back....

Cats are cats... that's the way they are. I know people like to anthropomorphize them, but cats really aren't "intelligent" just supremely adapted. Dogs aren't "intelligent" either, but they've evolved more than any other animal to exist symbiotically with us.

On the other hand, you can have fun talking all about cat traits... how they stim (playing with string), how they self medicate (catnip), how they fixate and obsess (stalking)... One of our cats (Ziggy Stardust) thinks our black labrador is the biggest toy in the house. He will follow him for an hour waiting for the dog to sit and wag his tail, then he attacks...

Fretion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2008, 3:05 pm

OregonBecky wrote:
I always used to tell the school that if I were in charge of handing out teaching certificates for teachers to be allowed to work with Spectrum people, I'd require them to teach a cat three dog tricks first. It can be done but they'd have to humble themselves into getting out of their own heads and learning how to teach smart creatures who have different thought processes but do learn on their terms.

If you connect to well to cat culture, I think you can connect well to autism spectrum culture.

You know, I think that's a very good idea. I do know that I have always been drawn to cats myself, and currently have 2 wonderful cats. I've also found that I very much prefer associating with "cat people".

Where I don't necessarily think that cats are "aspies", as Phagocyte said, really it is TYPICAL for a cat to behave as they do. I do suspect that the majority of aspies are "cat people".

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 8:36 pm

I have always had a good repore with cats. I come from a crazy cat family and astrologicly am a Leo/Rabbit....and rabbit is also referred to as cat....

We seem to understand each other. i can read the facial expressions of cats better than I can those of humans. I am very good at developing back and forth communication with cats. My remaining cat Lovey seems to take pride in demonstrating that she understands me...if that makes sense....She responds very well to verbal and visual cues, and is very loyal.
We make alot of eye contact with eachother...i mimic her blinks and she will sometimes mimic my mouth movement when I greet her by saying hi...(maybe that makes her a more "NT" cat....or maybe it is the opposite for cats and to be "NT" for a cat is to be less attentive to humans....who knows?

Clawdia (who was my baby)..knew that she only needed to heed me whenever she felt like it, and in general, was more apt to boss me around, like when she would herd me to the cat bowl because she needed to be petted while she ate...

Thanks for the thread in memory of Clawdia.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 9:10 pm

I heard someone say once......" you think you're so powerful?...try ordering a cat around."