I finally broke down to set an apointment to see a psychiatr

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 2:26 pm

I finally made an apointment to see a psychiatrist to get checked for Aspergers. My medical insurance will cover 10 visits up to April 30, 2011. Yay! I have not seen a psychologist since 1985 so who knows what they will dredge up. I tried to get my old school records of those visits but they get rid all non-transcript information after 10 years.

poppyx
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2010, 2:27 pm

:D :lol: :D

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 2:41 pm

thats wonderful :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2010, 2:47 pm

I was told that perhaps my job insurance will cover the cost of getting evaluated, but I'm afraid it will get back to my employer and be used against me!

THAT is the NUMBER ONE BARRIER to getting it done!

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 2:47 pm

I hope it goes well and the person you see has a clue.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 3:25 pm

j0sh wrote:

He was refered to me by Autistic Services Inc. in Williamsville NY, I hope they did not steer me in the direction wrong.

So do I see the doctor then he refers me for testing? Autistic Services Inc. also gave me a list of good testing centers.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 4:09 pm

Surreal wrote:
I was told that perhaps my job insurance will cover the cost of getting evaluated, but I'm afraid it will get back to my employer and be used against me!

THAT is the NUMBER ONE BARRIER to getting it done!

Its not like Having AS is going to cause you to miss work for hospital visits, or drive up the companies' insurance rates. I know companies will fire an employee for having a heart attack (I've seen it happen), though they will never admit that's why. But having an invisible neurological condition won't affect their bottom line either way, and the suits won't understand what AS is, even if you explain it to them with coloring books and an Elmo doll.

More likely if they know you have a diagnosed neuropsychiatric disability it will make them more hesitant to fire you. Corporate suits are afraid to be perceived as discriminatory against the disabled, because they don't want expensive lawsuits cutting into their profit margin, or picketers and news crews outside damaging their brand image. I worked with a very nice, quiet guy who had schizophrenia, and the executives walked on eggshells around him, lest they upset him in any way. You'd have thought he was going to turn into the Hulk or something. :lol:

And once you've disclosed it to them, if they use it against you, sue them for discrimination. I think you're more likely to be fired for it if they don't know. They're going to fire you for being odd, antisocial, uncooperative or insubordinate when you can't comply with a direct order - not being able to give it a clinical name actually makes you more vulnerable, because you have no recourse when they fire you for your disorder, since you don't OFFICIALLY have a disorder.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 4:54 pm

Todesking wrote:
j0sh wrote:

He was refered to me by Autistic Services Inc. in Williamsville NY, I hope they did not steer me in the direction wrong.

So do I see the doctor then he refers me for testing? Autistic Services Inc. also gave me a list of good testing centers.

There should be an initial visit where the psychologist just gets a general idea of what your like and asks a few introductory questions, then a series of visits for testing. Then a follow up visit to discuss the results of the testing. Your psych. might also see you to do some behavioral therapy or to talk about what it all means. Ours doesn't do that just referred us to someone who does.