Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 9:07 am

I get odd involuntary shivers once in a while, especially when I'm urinating

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 9:17 am

When your bladder empties after it's full you can experience the "shiver".

I experience the "jerks" before I fall to sleep, myoclonic jerks are their name, and they have origins in neurological disorders.

I had an unspecified seizure disorder when I was little (epilepsy--which is common in autism, go figure), so I guess I'm likely to experience said jerks now.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 8:26 pm

Everyone gets these. Sudden, random shivers. And then someone usually says, "Did a ghost just walk over your grave?" The ones as you are falling asleep are also normal and experienced by most people. It's something to do with your body experiencing the sensation of falling, and then your brain tries to wake you up. I can't remember the exact details.

UtukXul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2008, 8:29 pm

I had little ones for about a month last month. That was around the time I also felt like throwing up a lot. It was probably from a horrible diet in Edmonton and the fact that the "generic Celexa" stuff they gave me in Vancouver was citalopram hydrochloride when I'd been taking citalopram hydrobromide for 6 months in Edmonton. :)

EDIT: oops, this is Ana54. Once again, I forgot to log out and log in as myself. :)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 12:50 am

LostInSpace wrote:
The ones as you are falling asleep are also normal and experienced by most people.

Thanks for that; the feeling is the same as myoclonic jerks, this I know (I spoke to my mother about such).

After I had my bouts of seizures as a child (I was on Tegretol, which seemed to fix it); I "improved" to experiencing the involuntary jerks when I had a fever or stressor rather than seizures.

I haven't had a "true" myoclonic jerk for a long time.

SakasFixe
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2012, 11:14 am

I do have a lot of these "spasms", mostly in colder days. I always thought they were shivers of cold and it is very embarrassing in school. Everyone thinks I'm weird because of that... I didn't even associated the idea with my Asperger's.
Now, I know.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 11:17 am

I get them a lot. Before I was on my pills I got them every now and then but I think it had to do with my nerves and anxiety. Now that I'm on a ton of pills, I always get them. I get them really bad when I stop my pills cold turkey.

I think stopping benzos cold turkey are really bad for spasms as well.

Last edited by lostgirl1986 on 30 Apr 2012, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

Lumina wrote:
twosheds wrote:
zee wrote:
I get them at night, occasionally. It's always when I'm drifting off to sleep. :?

That's called a myoclonic jerk, if my memory of House serves.

Is that what those are? 8O The type of full body spasms that feel like someone has thrown you onto the bed?

Is that what this is? There's a build up in my brain before it happens , and mostly at night too!! Seizures ? it freaked me out one night when they happened 3 times in a row and I was getting paranoid about the buildup, because it feels like ....like my brain is going to throw up or something but at times it's pretty scary ....even though it's not painful ...

MiatheMutant
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2012, 3:40 pm

Hmmm... Now I kind of understand why so many people laugh at me about this and ask why I'm dancing in my seat. Mine only last a couple of seconds but I've had them for as long as I can remember. It's funny that I never realized I've never seen anyone else do this before.
I think these things are kind of like yawning: I've been reading through this thread and now I can feel one building up. I should find an article about it and see if I can get an NT to do it...

Undiagnosed: marginal costs > marginal benefits

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2012, 3:45 pm

I get these as well. It seems to be just one side of my body. I go kind of blank for a few seconds before, I can feel a big jolt coming, then my neck and shoulder contract and the feeling is released. I don't know if it's psychological or a neurological or what.
I'm glad to hear it's quite common though. I feel like an idiot when it happens. I normally just say something like, "Oh, that was just a shiver. I'm cold."

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2012, 5:07 pm

I get them also. I get a tinglign in my neek. and then it will hapen. my neak or arm or leg will jerk. Somtiems I get woken up when I am sleping to my leg shaking or with strang lights and also sensations. my ones are more slowed down now. I only am geting them when I am alsep. a year ago they were very bad and I got them alot also when I was awake.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 5:29 pm

Been getting them for years, as a result of taking medication.

lundygirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 6:02 pm

I also get spasms at night when I'm about to fall asleep. I take tablets for it but they don't always stop the spasms :(

ThatKidInTheCorner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 May 2012, 12:27 pm

While not whole body spasms, I do get random muscle and nervous tics all over my limbs from time to time, usually when I'm thinking about something that scares me.

Like needles. >_>

I once had a full seizure as a young child, but that was from a fever, so I'm not sure if it counts. XD

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 8:17 pm

Yeah I get this once in a while. Not often.

For anyone else - does it feel good? Like really, really good? When I get this it's like a wave of intense physical pleasure, stronger (but shorter) than orgasm

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2012, 8:51 pm

I have myclonic jerks dead bad to the point I can't sleep, whats worse is they get me worked up and I start worrying so that makes them more likely to frequent, even tho they're harmless and I know what they are.

Very strange sensation tho, like being electrocuted (but not hurting) and all your muscles doing a Mexican wave in not even a second, thats how it feels to me anyway, I kind of like it :D