Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 7:26 am

I do this. Lately I have been wondering if it is because I have difficulty verbally communicating.

When someone asks me a question I have difficulty retrieving a specific answer from my mind- instead a whole lot of other stuff comes out with it.

Perhaps this means I am not a true verbal thinker. Until recently I thought I was. But if I was a verbal thinker wouldnt I be better at giving concrete answers to verbal questions?

There has been threads on verbal versus other thinking and I am wondering, does anyone else tell long stories? Are you a verbal thinker?

Taking a break.

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 8:30 am

I tell stories the length they happen to be, if my point is best proven by a long story, or if the story is for the sake of entertainment, then I see no reason to shorten it.
I can be direct when needed though.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 9:42 am

Making a short story long topic

If I am asked an open ended question, I become uncomfortable and engage in a long-winded diatribe. I want to do justice to the subject.

The above is a short-winded diatribe, because you asked a closed question. :)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 9:49 am

I suck at telling stories, but ask me a factual question and I will go on and on stream-of-consciousness style.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 11:05 am

I can very easily make stories up if I feel like it. They usually aren't believable though. As for whether I'm good at it, well, it depends on the story. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Quote:
If I am asked an open ended question, I become uncomfortable and engage in a long-winded diatribe. I want to do justice to the subject.

I do that too!

Often times, I don't recognize an open-ended question for what it is and end up giving too short of an answer. Same with a closed question, only I give too long of an answer... It is usually a half hour or more or more after the fact that I realize I made an error.

leaford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2008, 11:08 am

Yeah, when I'm telling a story about my day or something that happened to me I tend to include a LOT of irrelevant information. I guess I have trouble differentiating between key and unimportant details.

lovebat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2008, 12:48 pm

Odin wrote:
I suck at telling stories, but ask me a factual question and I will go on and on stream-of-consciousness style.

I'm just like that too. If someone asks me a broad question, like "what did you do yesterday," I probably won't be able to recall much of anything. If they ask something more specific, like, "did you watch Darkwing Duck when you were little?" And then I'll go off for like 5 minutes straight, not just about Darkwing Duck, but then I'll move on to old Disney propaganda shorts from World War 2 that were absolutely hilariously racist. Then they'll get all uncomfortable because they don't know me because they were just the unfortunate soul who happened to be sitting next to me in econ lecture that day, and they won't realize that I'm not really a racist bastard, just someone with a slightly twisted sense of humor. Then they'll tell me to shut up and I won't talk to anybody for the rest of the day and I'll get all depressed about how I don't fit in :lol:. I'm awesome :D.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 1:05 pm

I usually keep mine as short as possible.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 3:09 pm

lovebat,
You sound like fun. Are you going to UW or where?

I tend to rabbit trail in my answers before I get to the point.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 3:28 pm

Exact opposite. I purposely, edit any story, to provide maximum info, in minimum time.

Those who know, don't speak.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 12:42 am

Odin wrote:

Oh really, perhaps you've heard of Asperger's? ...I can tell a good story every now and then, and I tend to stifle myself on the whole "blah blah blah" non-ending fact ramble. And, trying to stay to topic, I'm probably a verbal thinker. I assume verbal thinking means you think verbally, is there another way? Audio, with the occassional image, and that's it.

harvester52
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2008, 1:31 am

I can tell stories for AGES... and I tend to tell them in a stand-up comedy style. I'm very animated, and I have a real thick drawl that my friends say makes me sound like Ron White when I tell stories.

I'm a major talker. I love public speaking, and telling stories to large crowds.

-BC

Hedgehog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2008, 2:09 am

Yes, if I get into it I go on for hours. No joke. I tend to have all these really obscure details that I'm always able to bring into the plot. For some reason I can create wonderful verbal stories, but I have trouble with essays. Oh well.

Rack
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2008, 2:38 am

Nope, I'm absolutely brutal with self editing, since I have no way of telling if I'm boring someone I'll assume I am and only speak as little as possible to get my point across.

mac266
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Mar 2008, 3:19 am

I tend to write long stories, both fiction and non-fiction. Almost every day I write a story about events from work (I'm a cop) so my non-cop friends can get a kick out of them. ALL of them tell me to keep them and put them in a book....it must be related to my Asperger's because I would never get the same response verbalizing my stories.

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton