Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 1:05 am

When I have a panic attack, my face and whole upper body, turn a very un-natural beet red. For me, it is the worst symptom because, it is so visible to others. I unwantedly, become the center of attention. I can always feel myself turning red, and that always puts my panic attack into maximum overdrive. Sometimes people ask me "are you OK, do you need help" because I get so red, it looks like I'm going to die or something. My meds help some, but it still something I struggle with. Anyone else have this problem?

Those who know, don't speak.

marmotta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2008, 1:41 am

Yep and sometimes tear up too.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 2:18 am

heh, the few I have had I turn ghost white and get clammy skin.

Though I have only had about 5 and none since about 22 years of age.

I go red during a meltdown however... *solidarity*

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 2:43 am

I've gotten cold chills and have passed out a few times. Other times, when so much is going on I space out and people will comment on me looking dead white. :pale:

Paperplate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2008, 3:54 am

This is a big problem for me. It seems like I turn red everytime I speak to someone. I just came out of a meeting and I know I made people uncomfortable. Any advice?

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 10:33 am

Paperplate wrote:
This is a big problem for me. It seems like I turn red everytime I speak to someone. I just came out of a meeting and I know I made people uncomfortable. Any advice?

So far, I've only had favorable results by taking meds. If you take enough, of the right types of meds, you can suppress the initial trigger. I take Seroquel 200mg/4x per day, Neurontin 600mg/4x per day, and Lexapro 20mg/daily. When 1st prescribed these meds, I was pretty sluggish but, it was much better than nothing at all. Also, I saw the shrink today, and convinced him to let me try a beta-blocker, for performance anxiety(public speaking, interviews,work etc...). After I try it out, I'll post my results.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 11:08 am

Paperplate wrote:

I used to turn red too when I talked to people due to anxiety in social situations. What worked for me was probiotics and a little magnesium. There are artificial drugs that may help but natural treatments are safer, cheaper, and more effective.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 11:21 am

I don't think this is possible for me. I'm already a brown/reddish color. :afro:

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 11:43 am

*sigh* yes.

like a cooked shrimp.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 12:26 pm

I don't seem to have the right complexion for this to happen. A friend who is Irish in background and naturally very pale, on the other hand, I have seen her turn not only red but really odd shades of purple, when either angry or laughing.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 12:36 pm

anbuend wrote:
I don't seem to have the right complexion for this to happen. A friend who is Irish in background and naturally very pale, on the other hand, I have seen her turn not only red but really odd shades of purple, when either angry or laughing.

I think you're right, about complexion being an important factor in this. I am also a quite pale person, when totally relaxed. When I get tan in summer, it is mostly reddish in color. People with darker complexions are less prone to this.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 12:51 pm

Yeah. I am superficially pale, because I don't get out much and I live in a not-very-sunny location. But my complexion is still not as light as people I know who turn that color of bright red, and that shows in the fact that I only get a bit of pink in the cheeks and that's all, I don't turn that dark red color all over my head the way some very pale people I know do. If I do get outdoors much I'm definitely a bit on the darker side of what is still considered white skin (whereas my friend is way on the lighter side of that), and I tan to light brown, not to red unless I'm sunburned.

Last edited by anbuend on 28 Feb 2008, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 Feb 2008, 12:51 pm

Do you turn red? yes. but not from panic attacks, i shy easily :o

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 1:05 pm

On occasion. :oops:

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 2:33 pm

When I have a panic attack, I can feel how white my face is and my breathing becomes labored. The fact that I fear suffocation adds fuel to the fire. I feel as though I'm either going to pass out or die.

I have found that staying active reduces the symptoms, proving that I only think I'm suffocating.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 6:03 pm

In living colour topic

Skin is so different; sometimes it goes beet red and other times it is as white as chalk. Depends on blood flow and blood vessels, original skin pigmentation, age, med use and preexisting health challenges, etc. Turning red is usually what happens in a meltdown/embarassment :oops: and in panic attacks a person usually goes a whiter shade of pale. :pale:
In people of colour, the whites of the eyes will go pinkish when turning red and the skin colour is noticeably grayish, when the person is paling. Paling skin is cool to the touch and reddening skin is warmer.

Human physiology is indeed fascinating! :)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo