Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hmmm???
Nah, you don't seem like you're yelling. 25%  25%  [ 7 ]
Nah, you don't seem like you're yelling. 25%  25%  [ 7 ]
OW! MY EYES!! ! FONT... TOO... BIG... *dying* 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
OW! MY EYES!! ! FONT... TOO... BIG... *dying* 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Hmmm... I don't even think 17 is yelling. It makes you special :D 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Hmmm... I don't even think 17 is yelling. It makes you special :D 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 28

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 8:49 pm

Well, for a little while I posted on AFF and one of the members (not a moderator, I want to make that abundantly clear) PMed me about my size 17 font and told me I looked like I was shouting and if I could use regular font like everyone else. Despite that I was a bit turned off since I am so very fond of my individual fontiness, I attempted to compromise and asked if 15 then would be alright.

This member wrote me back and said I should take into consideration the need for sameness of others on the forum and, essentially, shouldn't be so selfish and that I should conform.

Grrrrrr...

Well, I tried. I do not think I will post much anymore on AFF. This was not the warmest of welcomes and some of the members appear a bit stodgey (Mish, of course, is not included in this ;) ) in some respects and the air was just a wee bit cold.

PS- This font is 15. Does this seem like yelling???

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Sophist on 06 Oct 2005, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2005, 9:01 pm

No. I think that your font is fine. It would only look like yelling if you typed in all caps, but any size font looks like yelling in all caps.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 9:05 pm

Only caps seems like yelling.

But I don't understand why you use a massive font, I mean if you have trouble reading it you could just use the text size options on the browser.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 9:10 pm

I find larger font more aesthetically pleasing to myself, personally, but I also like my individuality. So, it is both. :)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 9:11 pm

No. Size 15 font doesn't bother me, or seem like yelling. I'm not part of the AFF community, but I have lurked there. They seem to be a bit... (can't really think of a good word)... picky.

Isn't it a tad ironic that AFF, which in my opinion is very (almost militantly) anti-NT, are forcing you to conform to their standards? Isn't lack of acceptance and forced conformity exactly the thing they are supposedly fighting against? :roll:

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 9:17 pm

Sophist wrote:

Well, I tried. I do not think I will post much anymore on AFF. This was not the warmest of welcomes and some of the members appear a bit stodgey (Mish, of course, is not included in this ;) ) in some respects and the air was just a wee bit cold.

PS- This font is 15. Does this seem like yelling???

No, it doesn't, it didn't on there either, just some are pickier than honestly they should be on there, anti-NT or whatever. For me, I'm not anti-NT, I have a son that is NT. My hubby is NT. At times I've spoke out against even TheASman's anti-NT tirades. I want autism/asperger awareness but doing it militantly isn't always the way. You want respect you give respect... you won't get people's acceptance by forcing something on them no matter how much we'd like change.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 9:20 pm

I don't see how size 17 font is considered shouting.

NORMALLY ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING ONLINE.

But I have no problem with a size 17 font. I like your choice of font

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 9:34 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
For me, I'm not anti-NT, I have a son that is NT. My hubby is NT. At times I've spoke out against even TheASman's anti-NT tirades.

Sorry if I made it sound like everyone at AFF was like that. I didn't get that feeling from every member (I definitely didn't get that feeling from you), but I did get it from the community as a whole.

Last edited by Bec on 05 Oct 2005, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 9:34 pm

Now that I am looking at it again, I am finding 15 quite pleasing in itself. Perhaps I shall shrink ever slightly... T'will take some pondering. :D

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2005, 10:22 pm

I like size 14, myself. Personally, that AFF member who told you off was really a bit assinine. I have shocking eyesight, I like larger fonts. What about autistics who have problems with visual processing? Or even ADD? Larger fonts are more able to keep my attention, easier to keep your place in where you're reading. Making such a comment, about conformity of all things(!) is really quite stupid.
Mish, I agree with your comment about raising autism/asperger awareness militantly being no way at all. Its stupid, you don't win anybody over like that. Awareness is something that is best done on an individual by individual basis. It's a war fought in the opinions and minds of people. You don't get people to listen by shouting it in their ear. It just closes them off to what you have to say.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2005, 12:36 am

I like your font size.

They're probably just running at 640x480 and each word fills their screen, but frankly that's their own fault! :P

Anna
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2005, 12:36 am

Sophist wrote:
Now that I am looking at it again, I am finding 15 quite pleasing in itself. Perhaps I shall shrink ever slightly... T'will take some pondering. :D

I like the 15. It's big enough to read easily, which is really nice.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2005, 4:24 am

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
(at AFF)...some are pickier than honestly they should be on there, anti-NT or whatever. For me, I'm not anti-NT, I have a son that is NT. My hubby is NT. At times I've spoke out against even TheASman's anti-NT tirades. I want autism/asperger awareness but doing it militantly isn't always the way. You want respect you give respect... you won't get people's acceptance by forcing something on them no matter how much we'd like change.

Same here - this is why I walked away from AFF and didn't feel welcome posting there despite Amy making me welcome - a moderate opinion expressed seemed to lead to accusation of being 'pro-cure', 'anti-Aspie', etc. I have no problem with Amy and Gareth, but that stance isn't my stance, which was why I started The Prism (formerly wrongplanet.org) as a focus for activities earlier in the year. Unfortunately it never really took off and I have mothballed it for now. :?

edited for typo :oops:

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Last edited by duncvis on 06 Oct 2005, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2005, 4:27 am

Oh and Sophist - 15pts is fine, nice and easy to read... I don't see a problem with you using whatever font you choose to.

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

06 Oct 2005, 6:13 am

Doesn't bother me that much, and it seems silly that a mod would make such a big deal about that.

But on AIM, I have it strip all formatting. There are a lot of girls who have, like, dark purple on black background size 11 Comic Sans MS italic words, and it's just impossible to read, plus it makes your own text invisible when they write. So I display it all plain, makes life easier.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2005, 6:21 am

15 sized font is fine. The regular sized font here is a little on the small side. Now, if you typed in nonstandard colors, netspeak, or all caps, then I'd see why someone had a problem.