Is anyone elsew losing their memory because of medications?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 6:53 pm

The subtle yet very constant erosion of my memory is really starting to inhibit my ability to function in everyday life. If I didn't know better I'd swear it was Alhzeimer's. I take a number of very strong psychiatric drugs and I strongly suspect they are the culprits. The cumulative effect of these drugs, since it can't be traced to one source, can't be treated or even contemplated by my doctor.

This blows! :x

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 7:04 pm

I suspect my working memory has actually been enhanced after taking strong prescribed psychiatric drugs. Concentration too.

Main problem is drowsiness, not executive function.

Nice avatar.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 7:41 pm

slowmutant wrote:
The subtle yet very constant erosion of my memory is really starting to inhibit my ability to function in everyday life. If I didn't know better I'd swear it was Alhzeimer's. I take a number of very strong psychiatric drugs and I strongly suspect they are the culprits. The cumulative effect of these drugs, since it can't be traced to one source, can't be treated or even contemplated by my doctor.

This blows! :x

If the memory problem is worse than the good that the medications do,then think about asking doctor whether lowering dose would still be helpful,or changing the drugs.
it might be that they are all too high dose,do definitely need to have a number of very strong pysch. drugs,or is there any that can deal with all problems? mixing them can cause problems to.
Am used to take neurontin a few years ago and that one made am have no memory at all,and feel like didnt exist,also very sedated from it and that was all from the lowest dose.
Autistics are commonly said to need lower doses than NTs in a lot of medications,Temple Grandin has talked about this before but it is not the same in everyone.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

lightbender88
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Mar 2008, 8:35 pm

me too

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

09 Mar 2008, 8:42 pm

I was given electroshock treatments, then heavily dosed with very powerful anti-psychotics and anti-depressants. I don't remember most of the past five years as a result, but I am also unsure of the precise culprit. It may have been the drugs themselves, it may have been the side effect of sedation (you can't remember what happened if you weren't awake to experience it), or it may have been the result of unnecessary medicating after the even more unnecessary electroshock. I'll never know, and I don't think anyone will.

I haven't read anything about short-term memory loss from the medications I was on, and I don't know what you are taking. But I'm sorry you are having trouble, and I hope you find a way to fix it soon. If you have related these problems to your psychiatrist, they should be able to suggest something appropriate for your case.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 8:45 pm

My husband had temporary memory loss with Lexapro (anti depressant). Luckily he's not on it anymore and doesn't have that problem any more.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 9:16 pm

My doctor is a prick who doesn't listen to me, does not value my opinions or observations. Due to shortage of doctors in my home province of Ontario, I can't exactly shop around for another one. My doctor has made many adjustments to meds but most of it amounts to trial and error. As far as chemical imbalances go, mine is extremely precarious. I tend to think that no manual adjustment of neurochemicals will ever be delicate enough.

Every so often I get what I call a "wobble," where my neurochemicals fluctuate dramatically and without explanation. And the meds have to be changed whenever my neurochemistry shifts one way or the other. New drugs are needed when my system has become indifferent to existing ones. The healthcare system in Ontario leaves much to be desired, but it's better than having to rely on medical insurance.

:roll:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 9:21 pm

Which meds do you take?

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 1:08 am

singularitymadam wrote:
I was given electroshock treatments, then heavily dosed with very powerful anti-psychotics and anti-depressants. I don't remember most of the past five years as a result, but I am also unsure of the precise culprit. It may have been the drugs themselves, it may have been the side effect of sedation (you can't remember what happened if you weren't awake to experience it), or it may have been the result of unnecessary medicating after the even more unnecessary electroshock. I'll never know, and I don't think anyone will.

I haven't read anything about short-term memory loss from the medications I was on, and I don't know what you are taking. But I'm sorry you are having trouble, and I hope you find a way to fix it soon. If you have related these problems to your psychiatrist, they should be able to suggest something appropriate for your case.
:evil: ..your psyciatric is evil b***h

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2008, 1:39 am

batista90 wrote:

He actually vanished from the medical profession. I think he was convicted for doing something horrible, or someone threatened to file litigation. Either way, he definitely deserved it.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 1:49 am

singularitymadam wrote:
batista90 wrote:

He actually vanished from the medical profession. I think he was convicted for doing something horrible, or someone threatened to file litigation. Either way, he definitely deserved it.
yes..i hope he got sued for it+ i would like to him become autistic because of her own treatment :twisted:

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2008, 2:01 am

batista90 wrote:
yes..i hope he got sued for it+ i would like to him become autistic because of her own treatment :twisted:

I have no illusions that his treatment caused my AS; that would be absurd. However, I'm quite sure he has suffered, and that is enough for me to be satisfied in my own success--even if it is a little vindictive.

Taking revenge on the doctor with their own treatment is a little too "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" for me.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 2:51 am

risperdal knocked me out so i couldn't remember things.

neurontin just plain eats memories for breakfast. :evil:
i eventually told my shrink when i was sixteen that i would not take them anymore.
of course, they replaced it with something else, but that something else didn't affect me in any discernable way, shape, or form. i was a big fan. :-D

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 2:54 am

singularitymadam wrote:
batista90 wrote:

I have no illusions that his treatment caused my AS; that would be absurd. However, I'm quite sure he has suffered, and that is enough for me to be satisfied in my own success--even if it is a little vindictive.

Taking revenge on the doctor with their own treatment is a little too "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" for me.

stripping their medical license and ginormous paycheck is a nice ego/luxury one-two punch and effective enough when stuff starts getting repo'd. *shrugs*
after all, you want him to REMEMBER what he did and recognize the former caused the latter. toasting of memory prevents this.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 4:00 am

I'm taking Lithium, risperdal, siroquil sp? and a few others. They've been switched around a lot, and I don't deal with the actual prescription papers themselves. Would you believe that I've forgotten the names of the meds I'm on? I know that they are of assorted sizes, shapes and colours. I know I have to take them. But don't ask me what they are and which is which.

My social worker prepares the meds for me, out of the vials and into little envelopes 2x for each day. I may not understand the how but I do understand the why. I understand the reason for the drugs to work. One time I foolishly thought I could simply "kick" all my prescriptions by going cold turkey. I do not recommend anyone do that. Once the blood-levels fall below a certain point, I begin to detoxify and suffer withdrawal symptoms. Sweats, shakes, terror, etc.

Even if I'm a little off-schedule with the drugs, withdrawal begins. I ask you WP, what is the difference between dependance and addiction?

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 4:02 am

Yep definitely I have lost some memory through SSRIs. But no point on dwelling on it or I will just feel bad.

Taking a break.