It's almost official: I don't have Asperger's Syndrome

Page 5 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:45 pm

In response to hyperbolic's comments: Personality disorders generally are not treated with medication. Treatment for PDs is practically non-existent. I mistrust most diagnoses involving the letters "NOS." Professionals have tried to tag me with "Anxiety NOS" and "Bipolar NOS" before, but I find that a rather broad descriptor. "PD-NOS" is basically psychiatry's way of saying "we think there's something wrong with you, but don't really have a word for it so we'll just say you have a non-specified personality disorder."

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 12:19 am

cas, ssriv345: The SSRI antidepressant Zoloft has been shown to be effective in improving symptoms in patients with personality disorders. ( See the link at this bookmark on the Zoloft wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoloft#cit ... 9817625-99 ). In addition, I guess that antipsychotics would be very effective in the personality disorders that have psychotic and/or paranoid features, although I do not know for sure whether they are used for them or not. Finally, I suppose that obsessive personality disorder might benefit from the same SSRI treatments that are used to help people with obsessive compulsive disorder.

Personality disorders are treatable in a way that autism and AS are not. I do think that the negative aspects of AS like anxiety and ADD can be improved with medication and learning social skills, but the underlying causes for the AS are not changed by taking medication or learning social skills. Personality disorders have been linked to serotonin, but it is possible to look a them as nothing more than disorders of the personality. The personality is something that is probably much easier to change than the underlying causes of autism and AS. The underlying causes of autism spectrum disorders are probably biological in their manifestations as opposed to being aspects of the personality that, as in a personality disorder, can be improved with work and some help from medication. The fact that "therapy" is a treatment that is used for people with personality disorders shows that with personality disorders some patients can just talk through their problems. For someone with AS who does not necessarily have a personality disorder, talking through problems is not going to change the underlying biological cause in the DNA, endocrine system, brain structure, etc.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

06 Apr 2008, 5:18 am

zen_mistress wrote:
silentchaos wrote:
As a side note, when did certain disorders become generic? Which are name brand? :)

Mw99 wrote:
When they append a nos after disorder.

because of this post by the OP I suspect that he has received a PDD-NOS diagnosis. PDD-NOS is not a personality disorder though. It is a Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

at first glance, given the first two quotes, i assumed
we were about to be linguistically zenned, mistress

however, one appended generically bilingual observation:
translated literally from dutch, i have very recently been diagnosed with:

axis I: serious suspicion of AS
axis II: personality disorder nos, with schizotypical, narcissistic & adhd traits

how remarkably has the pervasive aspect disappeared from the AII-label &
how remarkably has developmental turned into personality

this is straight from the professional horse's mouth

may your god forgive you

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

06 Apr 2008, 5:38 am

cas wrote:
hyperbolic wrote:
Being diagnosed with a personality disorder may not be so bad as having Asperger's at least in the way that with a personality disorder the disorder itself can be treated with medication.

Can it? I thought that personality disorders were considered largely untreatable, and if there was any treatment possible it was with therapy.

i suppose you mean 'behavioural therapy'
as opposed to medicinal therapy=treatment?

may your god forgive you

cas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2008, 10:32 am

oblio wrote:
cas wrote:
Can it? I thought that personality disorders were considered largely untreatable, and if there was any treatment possible it was with therapy.

i suppose you mean 'behavioural therapy'
as opposed to medicinal therapy=treatment?

I guess so, I don't know that much about psych(olog/iatr)y and the words they use for the kinds of treating. I mean person-to-person therapy, one trying to bring the other away from unsocietal thought and action through a kind of social intervention. No medical doctors and medicine unless there is a different problem overlaid.

Medicine is still treat, but saying "untreatable" I meant that usually nothing helps but maybe person-to-person could help a little if (they say) the goals are not too large.

hyperbolic, thanks for the link. I've copied the abstract text to read.