It's almost official: I don't have Asperger's Syndrome

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 7:15 pm

The psychologist told me that I don't meet the criteria for Asperger's Syndrome. She told me that the fact that I indicated that I wasn't the way I am when I was a kid disqualified me for an Asperger's diagnosis. Instead, I got diagnosed with a personality disorder :(.

What should I do? Should I believe her? Or should I keep searching for a psychologist who will let me diagnose myself with Asperger's Syndrome?

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 7:42 pm

hm ok well if you still feel Aspie then you are still Aspie. I don't know how time could change that. Maybe do an Aspie test for you own peace of mind.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2008, 7:48 pm

I believe that any developmental disorder has to display symptoms from a young age - the latest I've ever heard are the criteria for CDD, which allow the issues to develop up to age 10. If they begin in adulthood, I don't think they can be called "developmental."
However, there may be a similar diagnosis or similar collection of symptoms that initiates in adulthood? If there's a "childhood disintegrative disorder," then that implies a similar disintegrative disorder of adulthood exists, doesn't it?

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 7:52 pm

Mum2ASDboy wrote:
hm ok well if you still feel Aspie then you are still Aspie. I don't know how time could change that. Maybe do an Aspie test for you own peace of mind.

I qualify for Asperger's according to every single online test I have taken. Online tests don't have any validity as far as dignoses are concerned, though.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 7:52 pm

Mw99 wrote:
The psychologist told me that I don't meet the criteria for Asperger's Syndrome. She told me that the fact that I indicated that I wasn't the way I am when I was a kid disqualified me for an Asperger's diagnosis. Instead, I got diagnosed with a personality disorder :(.

What should I do? Should I believe her? Or should I keep searching for a psychologist who will let me diagnose myself with Asperger's Syndrome?

She shouldn't undiagnose you without getting corroborating evidence from an outside party (e.g., another family member) who says whether you did or didn't act aspie.

Earlier in my own search for diagnosis, I didn't think I was quite as aspie back when I was a kid as I am today. But once I had some long talks with my mother, I realized my perception was skewed and it's just that I'm more aware of my behavior now as an adult than when I was a child, but I was still definitely aspie-- MORE aspie.

I think this is an important point you need to bring up to her. Memory is a biased thing and should be held to more rigorous scrutiny in a case like this. Getting the correct diagnosis is very important for your therapeutic treatment plan. You don't put a Bipolar on antiepileptics, do you? Same thing.

Just out of curiosity, what PD did she diagnose you with?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 8:04 pm

But to be fair, my mom also claims that I wasn't the way I am when I was kid.

Last edited by Mw99 on 07 Apr 2008, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 8:23 pm

That to me sounds a lot like "yes, we acknowledge that you have something, but we don't know what, so we'll give you a generic label."

Last edited by Mw99 on 03 Apr 2008, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 8:32 pm

Mw99 wrote:
Nos. But to be fair, my mom also claims that I wasn't the way I am when I was kid, though she readily acknowledges that I was a difficult child; she still talks about my tantrums, indecisiveness and hypersensitivity to clothing.

This is what worries me about having to get my mother to come in to talk with the doctor. I can remember doing things as a child that I do now - pacing (especially in circles), rocking, being obsessed with Greek mythology and historical trivia. I also remember her following me around stores asking over and over if I liked something, when I thought I had communicated my like or dislike of the item quite well and couldn't figure out why she didn't understand. I was also painfully shy and still am. I'm fairly certain, however, that if asked, my 80 yo mother wouldn't remember these things. She tends to have a selective memory about my childhood.

Does it have to be a parent? I have an older sister who was an adult (she's 16 years my senior) who remembers me as being, as she puts it, "a changeling child," never quite seeming to be in the same world with the rest of them. She thinks an ASD of some sort would explain a lot about my childhood. I also have a neice who is about my age and who shared a bedroom with me for a number of years; she says she's more than willing to testify to my being weird. :)

Patricia

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 8:34 pm

Mw99 wrote:
The psychologist told me that I don't meet the criteria for Asperger's Syndrome.

I am sorry that you're having problems with your doctor.

Patricia

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 8:50 pm

Yeah, the truth is that I don't think I have Asperger's Syndrome - though my idiosyncracies are such that I can easily pass for an aspie when I talk to people on the internet. Evidently, I have something, and it would have been nice if that something had been Asperger's Syndrome. An Asperger's diagnosis would have sanitized, even redeemed my personality flaws.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 8:54 pm

You could go for a second opinion, or just live happily being self-diagnosed.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 9:13 pm

No, wait! A diagnosis, given that it's done properly, thoroughly, and verifiably holds true. What one 'feels' about the Dx is of no matter! This would be like a doctor, upon careful evaluation, tests, etc. saying to patient, "You have cancer in the form of __________, at Stage X." This is an objective, non-judgmental diagnosis based upon data, evidence.

If patient 'feels' that they instead have lupus, for instance, and willfully 'decide' they do not have cancer, they're just deluding themselves! What you 'feel' is irrelevant!

That being said, there are caveats: Such as, do you have real evidence, not revealed or articulated well, to state otherwise?
Yes, psychology is a 'soft science,' but still a GOOD diagnostician's evaluation is valid! Forget what you 'feel' or 'want' your Dx to be. It just is.

Much like when I'm collecting data; just get what you get! What I 'feel' about the data accumulated isn't a factor. Again, unless there's real evidence there's a procedural error, etc.

I suggest you get a 2nd opinion - just in case. If you truly think you've been overlooked, this is what a 2nd opinion is for. But do not obscure or 'sway' the facts - that's just wrong and is a disserve to you.

Whether or not you have AS is a moot point; you are what you are. I suppose then you'll need to accept/adjust accordingly. But you may not, at will, just arbitrarily change your Dx.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 9:22 pm

Just have to add: Be leery about 'self-diagnosis.' There are some on WP who I think have valid reason to suspect they have AS - I respect and appreciate this. Sometimes if the symptoms are overt, maybe an official Dx isn't really necessary. And, if it's not a 'problem,' per se, then no matter.

WATCH those on-line tests! Those are NOT real diagnostic crititeria (necessarily); just someone's designed test which may or may not be based upon current parameters. You simply cannot look up something on the Internet, match some qualities, and, VIOLA - an Aspie. NOOOOO.

That's called slopppy science/reasoning at best.

Please note that forensic diagnostics are valid, given they 'fit' the DSM standards, as I've stated. These forensic Dx's are rigorous and in-depth. This is why they're considered 'real' and valid, plus peer-reviewed. For ex: I think we can safely agree Einstein was a HFA/Aspie based upon overwhelming collaborative evidence from his early childhood and development, through his life endevours, etc.

But lets be judicious about just 'labeling' someone. Just some Aspie/Autie traits doesn't cut it!

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 9:30 pm

(Sorry, another post), but Sophist is precisely right. Your recall of events, maybe especially when you're little are invariably skewed. Family members, teachers, well-respected others who were/are close to you - they can input. Just the facts: NO ONE can remember their behavior, accurately, when they were, say, 4 or 5, etc. A factor for consideration, but NOT a clear reality.

Whether one has AS or not (or any other Dx) doesn't really 'change' anything; behavioral traits still exist and it's not an 'excuse' for being or acting in a certain manner.

Don't feel sad (right emotion?), Mw99: Regardless of Dx, you're still you!

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 9:46 pm

LabPet wrote:
No, wait! A diagnosis, given that it's done properly, thoroughly, and verifiably holds true. What one 'feels' about the Dx is of no matter! This would be like a doctor, upon careful evaluation, tests, etc. saying to patient, "You have cancer in the form of __________, at Stage X." This is an objective, non-judgmental diagnosis based upon data, evidence.

Your reasoning seems valid, but it doesn't shed any light on my present situation.

Last edited by Mw99 on 07 Apr 2008, 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2008, 9:52 pm

I think it would be very hard to DX AS in a visit or two. Maybe you just need to talk with them some more. Second opinions are always nice as well.

Keep in mind that even cancer is misdiagnosed from time to time.