Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 7:03 pm

Scarlet_N wrote:
For me, when I am interrupted and loose my train of thought it helps to go back to the part of what I was saying that I can remember, then keep going until I find my spot.

Like, say we were talking and something happened, I would think "Okay, the last thing I remember we were talking about kittens, then I said I like orange kittens, then you said you liked orange posicles, then...aha! I was talking about pudding cups!"

If that makes any sense.

Those who know me well, all know that I cannot remember my thoughts so I will interrupt them with "remind me later to tel you about _____" and they are okay with it.

ditto

I also find I am often talking to someone and thinking about some think else multi tasking while I talk,. this may be why I lose the thread at times..

If I am in deep thought and someone or noise interrupts I can become quite agitated, and also forget what I was saying..

Just thought I would share am amusing moment with you all....

I had a meeting with a few people the other day, and as have been contained in cyberworld a little to much of late, had so many thoughts jumbling around in my head and unfortunately for the people I meet up with, I felt comfortable.

This meant of course there would be no blank silent, my words proceeded to come out at the speed of light, in a chaotic jumble.. the lady who tried to listen knew me well enough not to interrupt and the poor man I did not know so well, sat in silent...

At times I have this need to say so much, I seem to be thinking, processing and talking all at the same time, the speed makes my words seem like another lanauage - at least the computer slows these thoughts down

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 7:53 pm

slowmutant wrote:
They sometimes just talk over each, louder and louder as they try to get their point across.

That's what my parents have tried to tell me to do. Well, my voice just doesn't carry or get louder. The hell with Aspies being monotonous, half the time my voice stays the same volume. I can yell as loud as I can and still doesn't affect anything. Except for when I get mad, I can be a drill sgt!

But yeah, I've tried.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 1:01 pm

aries wrote:
I think also this explains why Aspies find it hard to get into the conversation (aside from missing more subtle cues). NT's interrupt all the time! As aspies it's the last thing we'll consciously do. So we wait patiently for our turn which may never come.

Yeah, exactly! That sounds very familiar.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 1:10 pm

I HATE that sort of thing! Espically when it is done on purpose!! ! Like...when you are desperately trying to get a point across and some just cuts you off(usually LOUDLY),completely misses your point, and refuses to let you speak again until THEY are finished...sometimes not even listening after they have shut up.(discussion over or i don't want to hear it). It gets to the point that I am ready to throw the nearest heavy object at the person.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 2:40 pm

blackcat wrote:
I HATE that sort of thing! Espically when it is done on purpose!! ! Like...when you are desperately trying to get a point across and some just cuts you off(usually LOUDLY),completely misses your point, and refuses to let you speak again until THEY are finished...sometimes not even listening after they have shut up.(discussion over or i don't want to hear it). It gets to the point that I am ready to throw the nearest heavy object at the person.

That is exactly what my mom does! :x
I'll be trying to talk to her, then she'll interrupt and never ever let me finish what I was trying to say. She'll just be like, "DISCUSSION OVER!"

Sometimes if someone interrupts me, I will politely interrupt them back and say, "*ahem* Excuse me, but I need to finish what I was saying. Please don't interrupt me, because I'll be finished shortly."

And if they still interrupt, I just walk away. Then they'll know how it feels to not be listened to. :twisted: Maybe it's a bit cold of me, but it really frustrates me to no end!

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 1:15 am

There’s this odd thing that really irritates about NT conversation. Though not exactly the original topic I think it’s relevant.

Whenever I’m with a group of people at a bar or restaurant they’ll first be talking a bunch of boring fluff… then gradually the conversation will go more in depth on a topic… but just when I’m getting really excited about some idea I wish to express there will be an interruption. For instence, the waiter will come and ask if people want desert.

Of course I still want to carry on the conversation, but guess what happens next? First one person will get up to go to the bathroom… then another person will remark “I’m getting tired, I think I’ll be heading out”… then the remaining group will change the subject completely to something mundane such as their “list of things to do tomorrow”. Argh!! :roll: :evil:

It always feels like I have to be so patient waiting for an interesting topic to come up and then when something finally strikes a chord with me it’s over in an instant. Nobody else seems to mind cutting off a deep discussion so suddenly. I can’t understand it at all.

Tell me if any of you relate to this at all. Please let me know that I'm not alone!

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2008, 2:53 am

Yeah, interruptions drive me up the wall, too... but it's not limited to conversation. I don't like stopping what I'm doing to do something else. I think a lot of this is because I am afraid I will completely forget what I am doing and it will never get done.

On the upside, I absolutely LOVE conversations via IM, because you can actually finish your thought while the other person is typing, and even if their message comes through while you're still typing, no actual loss of content comes with it.