Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 10:21 am

I was curious of those who remember their childhood obsessions.

I used to have obsessions with rocks in elementary school. Later, I became obsessed with people I met. It wasn't really a crush, but that was what I thought at the time. This is in my early teens too. I didn't know I was autistic then either. I actually thought it was normal to have obsessions, yet I didn't understand that the intensity of my obsessions wasn't normal either. I actually have old journals in my treasure box of the obsessions I had with certain people too. Thinking back to it also, I realize it was strange and a little awkward to have these sort of obsessions.

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2014, 10:24 am

When i was young i became extremely obsessed with constellations. I knew that names of all the constellations and the stories behind them.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2014, 11:10 am

When I was little, before I started to speak, I was obsessed with dinosaurs and Jurassic Park. I would watch Jurassic Park almost every day. When I turned two, I started to recite the names of dinosaur species over and over again but wouldn't say anything else. I kept dinosaur toys and drew pictures of dinosaurs too. I still love dinosaurs and am currently reading a book called The Pocket Book of Dinosaurs.

I was also obsessed with Lion King and would always take my lion toy with me if I was going to go out otherwise I would melt down. I watched Lion King on repeat too.

Now my special interests are reading and drawing comics and dinosaurs.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 11:18 am

DarkAscent wrote:
When I was little, before I started to speak, I was obsessed with dinosaurs and Jurassic Park. I would watch Jurassic Park almost every day. When I turned two, I started to recite the names of dinosaur species over and over again but wouldn't say anything else. I kept dinosaur toys and drew pictures of dinosaurs too. I still love dinosaurs and am currently reading a book called The Pocket Book of Dinosaurs.

I was also obsessed with Lion King and would always take my lion toy with me if I was going to go out otherwise I would melt down. I watched Lion King on repeat too.

Now my special interests are reading and drawing comics and dinosaurs.

I read 'Lion King' as Loki at first. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!?

At the time, I used to have an obsession with Space Jam too. At one time, I had rented the movie. Well, when it came time to take the movie back... I melted down because I didn't want to. I was so obsessed with it that my parents had to actually buy the movie for me. lol

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 1:17 pm

I was obsessed with hair/fur, horses and dinosaurs.

KAOS
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2014, 1:55 pm

I also was obsessed with dinosaurs, but my biggest obsession were letters.

It started when I was ten months old, my mother later told me that I used to stand at a small table and look at magazines. When I entered school, I was very fast at learning how to read and write. As soon as I knew the whole alphabet, I started creating "secret languages". Sadly, I never found anybody who was willing to write messages with me in one of my alphabets. :( I think I stopped designing alphabets when I was ten or eleven.
I had one book at home that provided lots of random knowledge from car signs over currencies of different countries to alphabets. As examples, there were the Latin, Greek and Hebrew alphabet. All the Greek and Hebrew letters had funny names, and I read them again and again. When I turned eight, I noticed I could recite the whole Greek alphabet by heart, and so I sometimes used this to impress people. :lol:

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2014, 3:20 pm

When I first started playgroup (before I could talk), I was obsessed with Disney characters, especially Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore. I still remember my teacher having an Eeyore plush toy on her desk, and I always used to stare at it. I wanted it so much.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 3:32 pm

I was obsessed with Winnie the Pooh, as well----I still love him!!

The other things that I can think-of, off the top of my head, are: cars, fashion, anything purple, and crafts----and, I'm still obsessed with all of them.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 3:40 pm

I was obsessed with politics as a kid, but realized a career in politics just wasn't for me. Now, if I can't get a career in film as a writer, it'll likely be a career in journalism.

elysian1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2014, 3:44 pm

I was obsessed with dogs - I mean really obsessed. As a hyperlexic kid I read everything I could get my hands on, too, especially scientific and historical non-fiction. The only fiction I really ended up obsessing over was J.R.R. Tolkien - not just the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but everything he ever wrote.

In middle school and high school I was absolutely smitten with the rock band Journey- more than the typical teenage girl over hair bands. I had all the albums. I could sing all the lyrics. I knew everything I possibly could learn about every single one of them. Way, way, way too much. I dreamed of Steve Perry :heart: constantly.

Weird. I knew I wasn't normal but I didn't know (until I was 35) that my kind of not-normal has a name.

Last edited by elysian1969 on 10 Dec 2014, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 3:52 pm

I just remembered something else I used to be sooooooo obsessed with Elmo and Scooby. I had the entire bed set and curtains for Scooby Doo! As for Elmo, I had so many of him. I used to carry around this baby elmo, and I even tried to potty train him once, resulting in him falling into the toilet. XD He was washed so much that he actually turned pink. I used to have a big elmo that was old and blind as well. lol

I still have my two baby elmos. The second one I got because I had lost my first one, which resulted in frequent trips to go get him. Oh! I also had an obsession with Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story at one time as well.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2014, 4:16 pm

My main obsessions were my dolls and school conduct/behavioral systems. I would combine the obsessions by playing school - I wanted to be able to test out the conduct systems on my dolls. I remember making so many different systems, too, because I always copied the ones my teachers had and the ones other teachers had. My obsession with dolls usually came in a form similar to this - preparing for the doll's arrival, especially if she was a Christmas present. With one doll that had chickenpox (I loved having sick dolls for some reason), I remember drawing and cutting out oreos for her to eat. I think I was making a lunch box for her or something, because everything had to be ready for her. With my American Girl doll, I basically did a similar thing, only this time I prepared for her arrival by printing out pictures of her and clothes I wanted for her and writing a story about her life.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 4:50 pm

I remember being obsessed with Beetle Juice cartoon. I was watching it everyday and I was imagining what would my life look like if I were Lydia and Beetlejuice was my friend. I could recite the summoning, I knew all the cartoon characters, remembered all episodes and somehow I could laugh at the puns.

What's worth to mention - I was 8 year old Polish girl and I was watching English version of the cartoon despite and not knowing English at all (Cartoon Network was only in English back then and it was the only cartoon channel in my grandma TV, I started learning english when I was 12). Not knowing the language didn't stop me from getting obsessed.

I also remember having random collections as a kid - snails, stones, four clover leaves, flashlights, unusual pens, iron balls, pokemon tazos (I didn't really like Pokemons and I didn't play the tazos but I liked collecting, sorting, fidgeting and making towers of them), collective cards...
I don't recall myself being obsessive about those although my parents say I was pretty stubborn about some of them. Especially the flashlights - I would beg my mom to buy me any flashlight I seen.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 7:11 am

elysian1969 wrote:
In middle school and high school I was absolutely smitten with the rock band Journey- more than the typical teenage girl over hair bands. I had all the albums. I could sing all the lyrics. I knew everything I possibly could learn about every single one of them. Way, way, way too much. I dreamed of Steve Perry constantly.

I know next to nothing about the band, except that I LOVED their music----"Oh, Sherry" was my favorite----and I loved, Loved, LOVED Steve Perry!!

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 7:58 am

Same as mine now.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 10:15 am

I was very obsessed with certain TV programmes by the time I was 7 years old. I think "Riverboat" was the first. I couldn't fathom the plots very well - it was the idea of the boat itself that fascinated me. I could hardly bear to miss an episode of that, or "Supercar" (note the common theme of a show based on a vehicle). I was quite fascinated with dinosaurs for a long time. When I was 10 years old I was obsessed with Doctor Who and the Daleks, and I couldn't get enough of The Beatles. Then I was obsessed with forming a band and making records. As time went by, all the TV stuff ceased to interest me so much, and all my efforts went into music (or more accurately, music technology). I developed crushes on girls when I went through puberty.