Better person without drugs, medication, herbs or vitamins?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 1:58 pm

silentchaos wrote:
I don't think anyone would inject themselves with cobra venom but i have been mistaken in the past. :lol: I agree with everything you said, especially pharmaceuticals being dangerous. I was merely attempting to point out that cheap,all natural,seemingly benign herbs that you can buy from walmart can be dangerous. I wasn't trying to say that they have no use or shouldn't be taken.

EDIT
Immediately after posting this i realized that a few people actually do inject themselves with cobra venom, namely Bill Haast. He started self-immunizing himself from elapid venoms back in the 1940's. He has been bitten over one hundred times and is perfectly fine, actually better than normal at the age of 91 i believe. Some people have wondered if his health is related to his self-immunization. I think he retired from running a serpentarium that milked snake venom for antivenin a few years ago. Handling mambas at age 80 can't be an easy task. I can't believe i used the venom example when i knew about this, lol. I should think before i type. :lol:

Interesting... I'm sure there's also a homoeopathic remedy involving snake venom, though I'm not sure which one. I'll be studying it next year though so will likely be able to tell you then if you're willing to wait. ;) A lot of homoeopathics involve poisons massively diluted; the current theory as to why they work so well is that they contain the resonance of the original substance, and this resonates with your own DNA to provoke the desired response. I find them far more effective than standard pharmaceticals.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 4:10 pm

Age1600 wrote:
Anybody ever just find themselves to be a better person without all that extra stuff, like vitmans, herbs, drugs, medication :?:

I took calcium for years as child and there were no bad side effects.

I took magnesium for a period of a year - about 2 years ago? - and it zombified me.

I had excellent concentration, much better than usually. But also all stimuli were reduced greatly. I was extraordinarily calm, nothing could cause me distress, I was in a dream-like word. Like in a shell, cut off from reality.

I stopped taking it and I won't take it again. It helped, I could focus for prolonged periods, even work together with others. But I was zombified, as if behind a pane of glass.

What I found odd: I was told that I was responding 'more normal' to stimuli.

I then imagined that's how NTs perceive the world. I hope not!

I also took iron for two years. I had a lot of nervous suddenly. Always jumpy.

NO minerals for me again.

Meds also have strong (usually negative) effects on me. I don't know why. It's really problematic if I need them: I hate that I always have to take less than was prescribed or take all and get side-effects.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 5:59 pm

I think the side-effects of many prescription drugs are worse than the symptoms they treat so I'm not surprised you feel better without some of them. Most of them don't treat the cause but only the symptoms so they usually aren't worth taking. A few of them, like Allegra, the one you mentioned, is a good one. Treats allergies without side-effects. Regarding vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other natural supplements, I think they are much better than prescription drugs because they are usually safer and have less side-effects.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 6:35 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
I've found that most, if not all, prescription drugs cause too many side effects to be worth taking in most cases. I use prescription drugs as a last resort for health problems that have a serious impact on my life.

For example, I take a drug for a chronic health problem that causes severe pain otherwise and cannot be treated any other way. However, I manage my depression and anxiety by getting plenty of exercise, eating well, and playing music.

I agree with you, and I also manage my depression (bipolar) "by getting plenty of exercise, eating well, and playing music."

Its far to easy to medicate for all the wrong reasons, and also feel only if reallynecessary and no other choose should take.

Do not feel anyone should medicate children unless 100% necessary, sometimes I feel parents medicate their children because they are not coping. Children do have rights too, and no one knows the effects yet of long term medication on children!

Do not drug us - Understand us:
http://asplanet.info/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=105

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 6:35 pm

As far as sleep goes, any over the counter sleep aid works for me. I have a hard time sleep but thankfully those heavily advertised in-the-media- sleep aids are't needed. Just what ever generic sleep aid works for me, thankfully.

The heaviest medication I ever took was Adderall. It helped and it did not help. It helped me focus and it helped boost my energy levels. But it also turns me into a raving lunatic with a very short fuse. So I stopped taking that.

I am a devout vitamin user. when I can afford to take them all, I take a good helping of multivitamins, choline and amino acids (in the form of a flavored sports shake).

I take a routine antidepressant. That is, I take these pills when I can remember or have time to take them. It's always hit and miss. I never really take them all every single day.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 6:45 pm

I take a multi-vitamin and calcium, I don't think that has any negative effect on my moods however. The 2 prescriptions I do take are BC pills and zyrtec, and I really wish I could quit them both. But then I'd be pregnant with hives and that would be worse than meds imo.