Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 3:31 am

We had to put the fire on tonight (we are nearly into winter in New Zealand) and Damein was starting quite hard at the flames and spinning wheels on a train.
I was just wondering if him starting at the flames was a visual stim????

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2008, 3:35 am

I find looking into a campfire quite comforting myself.... or a candle and can stare at a flame for a while...

it can be very meditative.. I think a controlled campfire can bring about an instinctive sense of security... From cave-men days -- fire meant warmth, food and community.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 6:48 am

Mum2ASDboy wrote:
We had to put the fire on tonight (we are nearly into winter in New Zealand) and Damein was starting quite hard at the flames and spinning wheels on a train.
I was just wondering if him starting at the flames was a visual stim????

I did that when I was little. Does Damien spin anything else? Does he spin himself around like a top? Chances are it's stimming behaviour.

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2008, 9:57 am

According to Wikipedia (the font of all knowledge), stims are physical, so staring at the fire wouldn't be a "stim," persay.

However, he might just find it fascinating or relaxing. (Or he might be a budding pyromaniac, just kidding!)

AlteredEgo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2008, 10:16 am

Felinity wrote:
I find looking into a campfire quite comforting myself.... or a candle and can stare at a flame for a while...
it can be very meditative.. I think a controlled campfire can bring about an instinctive sense of security... From cave-men days -- fire meant warmth, food and community.

I agree :D

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2008, 11:48 am

I know that I find watching a fire very relaxing, as well as at raindrops on the window. I can watch it for a very long time. It's mesmerizing. My NT son loves fires...but my AS more so.

All of my stims are physical...I instigate them and they feel good. While I enjoy staring at the fire, it doesn't take the place of my stims.

momtanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2008, 11:48 am

My son LOVES watching a fireplace or campfire. He can sit
there for hours just staring at it.