dr. asperger, thank so much for what you did in your...

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jun 2009, 7:39 pm

lifetime.

you were an aspergers too sir, lol.........."EVERYONE, has a little autism in them", not a direct quote from him, but close

thank you for realizing that "childhood schiziophrenics", as autistics were called when he was a young doctor, were way different than early adult diagnosed and beyond schizophrenics.

asperger children seem to improve with age (as all autistics do), as schizophrenics decline with age he noted......................he was fascinated by this as he must have recalled his own childhood was similiar

he watched a group of young boys grow up to be men and wrote about them and created such a fascinating book of work.......unfortunately, most of the GREATS have to wait until after they die to see their works accepted, he was lucky to see the dawn

asperger however, saw the dawning of his work as it started to be translated from his native austrian tongue just before he died....must have been nice Sir

one of aspergers students actually found a mathematical flaw in one of isaac newton's formulas, lmao...way to go Dr. asperger, way to go......and student of course, lol

asperger also protected his students FROM THE NAZIS!! !! !! !! !, as the nazi custom was to euthanize children and adults like this :evil: :evil:

what a man among men

Dr. Asperger, many years from now your compassion, love, brains, and insight will be hailed. Thank you so much.....love, an autistic mind

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 8:41 pm

yeah, thanks Hans.

LivingOutsideTheBox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2009, 8:53 pm

Exponential progress and change to the tune of people in the history books.

In my now pseudo-acceptable madness, I kneel to your insight, perseverence and overall awesomeness.

Also, thanks :)

SlayerOwnz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2009, 9:51 pm

I could only thank Hans so much. He managed to define the problems, he changed history without any doubt.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 8:11 am

I think you are overstimating the role of Asperger: imagine a world where Asperger never existed but only Kanner and Wing.

Perhaps this world will be (in the question of diagnosis) exacty to our world, in the minor difference that AS will be named "Wing Syndrome"?

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 10:53 am

Kudos to a man who treated his patients with respect, at a time when it was all too common to treat them as inhuman.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 12:25 pm

The first account of AS-type behavior seems to have been published in 1926 by a female psychiatrist called G.E. Ssucharewa. It wasn't translated into English until the mid-nineties by Sula Wolff. It was referred to as schizoid personality disorder of childhood. Not as nice a name (I'd even prefer the German version autistic/schizoid psychopathy because at least it makes me smile). :)

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2009, 2:17 pm

TPE2 wrote:
I think you are overstimating the role of Asperger: imagine a world where Asperger never existed but only Kanner and Wing.

Perhaps this world will be (in the question of diagnosis) exacty to our world, in the minor difference that AS will be named "Wing Syndrome"?

hi TP..perhaps i am going a bit overboard but i will make these distinctions

-asperger was autistic

-asperger loved those boys and followed them up throughout their lives

-he had a common touch few in the field had

-he did not blame mothers needlessley for their childs condition and behaviors

- he saved a lot of children from the clutches of the nazis who would have exterminated them, this , by itself is enough to make him a saint

i think these issues make him stand out.....now i am not saying the others were bad or anything......HE STANDS OUT

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 4:41 pm

So many proffesionals have caused pain and heartache that it's wonderful to read about somebody who really worked to make a POSITIVE difference.

I want to park a little shout out here to another doctor from yesteryear who tried hard to make things better. Dr. Itard of 18th century France. I found out about him through the Truffaut movie "The Wild Child" ("L'Enfant Savage") which is nominally about a boy who was abandoned by his parents in toddlerhood and lived in the woods by himself till he was 9 or 10, when he was found and was completely feral. Dr. Itard chalked up the boy's problems (mostly being non-verbal) to his abandonment and feral life which probably does account for 80-90% of it. But I noticed something that neither Dr. Itard noticed (because autism wasn't "discovered" yet) nor did Truffaut notice (because he was going by the Dr. Itard's written account of feral-ness when he made the biographical movie) and that is that this "wild child" was probably autistic, which may have led to his abandonment in the woods.

In the movie (which was based on a book about Dr. Itard and incorporated his patient notes), Dr. Itard (who ran a school for the deaf) noticed that the boy couldn't talk but had a burning need for order so he used this need for order to teach the boy to read and communicate using a board with movable wood letters and little icon pictures of household objects. Truffaut didn't recognize this for what it was because I don't think non-verbal communication consoles had been invented yet when he made the movie in 1970. Or rather, they hadn't been re-invented. The boy's passion for order screamed "autism" to me even if it didn't, understandably, to either Dr. Itard in the 18th century or Truffaut in 1970. So I want to give a little shout out to Dr. Itard for inventing a communication console for non-verbal people in the 1700's--- and using it to help somebody communicate even while his proffesional peers rolled their eyes at him for trying to communicate with a "ret*d" boy. And a slap to all those peers who tried to talk Dr. Itard out of trying so hard to find a way for the boy to communicate, and who let the wooden prototype non-verbal communication console disappear into oblivion until it got re-invenetd 200 years later.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 5:36 pm

Yeah, thanks Hans dude.

Seriously, it's nice to have someone say 'I think you have Asperger syndrome' rather than 'I think you are f****d in the head and need help'.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2009, 4:36 am

This is a lovely thread. I didn't know he ws a good man like that; I just knew he worked out what Asperger's Syndrome was. I also found out recently that he said ""It seems that for success in science or art a dash of autism is essential."
According to Wikipedia, he also said that even the children (with Asperger's Syndrome) who had lots of difficulties and worried their parents could find a place in society. :)

Janissy - that's really interesting, thank you for posting that!

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jun 2009, 8:29 am

[quote="Kajjie"]This is a lovely thread. I didn't know he ws a good man like that; I just knew he worked out what Asperger's Syndrome was. I also found out recently that he said ""It seems that for success in science or art a dash of autism is essential."
According to Wikipedia, he also said that even the children (with Asperger's Syndrome) who had lots of difficulties and worried their parents could find a place in society. :)

Janissy - that's really interesting, thank you for posting that

thanks Kaj, i felt i owed it to him.historically he will be very significant