Do you think I may have a mild form of Asperger's?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NicksQuestions
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2009, 10:13 pm

I thought that maybe I would ask this forum to see what they think. Someone the other day asked me to take an Autism Spectrum Quotient test online. I scored a 36. Is that something I should be worried about?

I thought that “Autism” means you can’t talk, so I don't think that's me, but then I might have a mild form of Asperger’s which is different. However, I’m trying to figure out if I may just have some type of other social disorder.

I'm 27 right now. I went from age 12 to 26 with no friends whatsoever, and the friend right now I have is a casual friend. I've been on four group dates in my life, and never have been on any single one on one dates. My parents said that I didn't start talking until I was four. They took me to a doctor and the doctor said there was nothing wrong with me, cognitive nor hearing, and that I just didn't seem to have the desire to talk. People say I'm a recluse and am very quiet. People insist that I don't want to socialize, while from my perspective I don't know how to socialize and feel people intentionally won't let me socialize with them (although they'll disagree strongly if they hear that from me). I don’t understand why they think that. In the last few years I actually made myself pretty good at people skills on the surface for regular structured situations, but deeper than that I'm very lacking in social/relating to others skills (maybe this is part of the reason why people don't believe me when I say I try to socialize but it doesn't work out no matter how hard I try). I think maybe if I could watch some videos where they show you how to tell if a girl is being friendly or interested (animated facial expressions with tone of voice) and how I should react, then I probably would start going on dates. If they were to base the videos on scientific method research, that would be great.

I think part of it may be because I like to immerse myself in things, which interferes with my ability to socialize. When I was a child, I would focus on one area of Science for about four to eight months, and had little interest in anything else, and wouldn't talk about anything else. Also, the vocabulary I used in normal everyday conversation was often the same from the area of Science that I happened to be interested in at the time. Now that I'm in my twenties, I'm very good at hiding it and can make my vocabulary sound like normal peoples' language. However, I still immerse myself in whatever I'm interested in, often for months, and it will show through sometimes. Often I'll listen to the same songs over and over again, for "mental stimulation". Roommates in college would say that doing things like that is OCD. I just need the mental stimulation; it's not anxiety. Frequently, I'll drive to the same place over and over again for mental stimulation. However, I don't feel like there's something wrong with my intelligence. I graduated from college with a 3.81 GPA. Some ask me how I did that, because they accuse me of often seeming "spacey". For example, when someone's talking to me sometimes I'll completely space out and I'll have to ask them, "What did you just say, I was day dreaming", even if we are both facing each other. I used to do that a lot, but not so much anymore.

I’m almost thinking that the reason I have social problems is because I may a social disorder. I mean, I want friends, and I don't want to be 80 by the time I start going on dates. Do any of you think I may have any particular type of social disorder?

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2009, 10:37 pm

Maybe, but from what i understand, us Aspies develop speach at the same age as NTs.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 10:47 pm

Quote:
I thought that maybe I would ask this forum to see what they think. Someone the other day asked me to take an Autism Spectrum Quotient test online. I scored a 36. Is that something I should be worried about?

It's nothing to worry about, knowledge is power. Knowing will help you to improve your life.

Quote:
I thought that “Autism” means you can’t talk, so I don't think that's me, but then I might have a mild form of Asperger’s which is different. However, I’m trying to figure out if I may just have some type of other social disorder.

Autism means you have a speech delay, people with autism usually speak their first few words around the age of 4.

Your social problems could be caused by autism, although most of your other problems in your post sound like they are caused by ADHD which can also cause social problems as well. ADHD and autism aren't mutually exclusive, it's possible to have both. You'd need to talk to a psychiatrist about being diagnosed to know what is causing your problems, i think you definately have reason to.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2009, 10:47 pm

It sounds like you have high-functioning autism. Whether there is a true difference between HFA and AS is a matter of contention. The DSM-V developers are leaning against making a distinction.

You can find the Adult Asperger Assessment [url="http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/tests/aaa_test.asp"]here[/url]. If you meet enough criteria in sections A-D, you can diagnose HFA. Certainly, if you meet all of them, you do have HFA. If you don't satisfy all of them, consult the DSM definitions of ASDs to see what exactly you have. You may need a professional to help you in this case.

DadX4
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2009, 10:55 pm

I may be a little freaky, or different, but I never had a real date until I was 35. I just never understood why I would date someone I KNEW I would not marry. Then, when I was 35 I met my wife and here I am 16 years later with that same wife and 4 children ages 4 to 14. I don't know for sure if I have Asperger's or not, but I am at least borderline. My son was diagnosed in December at age 12.

You sound like a good person. Don't give up. Seek whatever information you feel you need to seek. If a diagnosis would comfort you, make an appointment to be tested. I never saw the need for myself. But, it is nice to know why my son is the way he is.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2009, 11:11 pm

You sound so much like me. I guess you have Asperger's or close enough for me. Maybe you could talk earlier but didn't. See if you can gain some insights here and apply them. One thing I have found is that NTs think, communicate and have different values to me and vice versa. Placing more importance on what other people feel and comminicating non-verbally has been changing planets for me.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 11:26 pm

Michjo wrote:
Quote:

Autism means you have a speech delay, people with autism usually speak their first few words around the age of 4.

Around here, autism can also refer to any autistic spectrum disorder, which includes Asperger's. The current official definition of Asperger's means no speech delay, but for some reason it's not exclusionary in all cases of people diagnosed.

It sounds like a professional opinion may really help you. Seek out someone who specializes in autism spectrum disorders. Many do not know how to properly diagnose this area.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 11:42 pm

NicksQuestions wrote:

Autism is not progessive. It won't cause you to change from where you are now. So how could you worry?

NicksQuestions wrote:

Actually, AS people have HISTORICALLY been required to talk on time or EARLY! Even today, it can't be a clinically significant delay.

Kanners CAN be mute, but apparently often AREN'T!

NicksQuestions wrote:
I'm 27 right now. I went from age 12 to 26 with no friends whatsoever, and the friend right now I have is a casual friend. I've been on four group dates in my life, and never have been on any single one on one dates. My parents said that I didn't start talking until I was four. They took me to a doctor and the doctor said there was nothing wrong with me, cognitive nor hearing, and that I just didn't seem to have the desire to talk. People say I'm a recluse and am very quiet. People insist that I don't want to socialize, while from my perspective I don't know how to socialize and feel people intentionally won't let me socialize with them (although they'll disagree strongly if they hear that from me). I don’t understand why they think that. In the last few years I actually made myself pretty good at people skills on the surface for regular structured situations, but deeper than that I'm very lacking in social/relating to others skills (maybe this is part of the reason why people don't believe me when I say I try to socialize but it doesn't work out no matter how hard I try). I think maybe if I could watch some videos where they show you how to tell if a girl is being friendly or interested (animated facial expressions with tone of voice) and how I should react, then I probably would start going on dates. If they were to base the videos on scientific method research, that would be great.

That sounds ALMOST like AS! The 4yo age to start speaking MIGHT make it, though the DSM says BY THREE! Otherwise, it sounds like HFA!

NicksQuestions wrote:
I think part of it may be because I like to immerse myself in things, which interferes with my ability to socialize. When I was a child, I would focus on one area of Science for about four to eight months, and had little interest in anything else, and wouldn't talk about anything else. Also, the vocabulary I used in normal everyday conversation was often the same from the area of Science that I happened to be interested in at the time. Now that I'm in my twenties, I'm very good at hiding it and can make my vocabulary sound like normal peoples' language. However, I still immerse myself in whatever I'm interested in, often for months, and it will show through sometimes. Often I'll listen to the same songs over and over again, for "mental stimulation". Roommates in college would say that doing things like that is OCD. I just need the mental stimulation; it's not anxiety. Frequently, I'll drive to the same place over and over again for mental stimulation. However, I don't feel like there's something wrong with my intelligence. I graduated from college with a 3.81 GPA. Some ask me how I did that, because they accuse me of often seeming "spacey". For example, when someone's talking to me sometimes I'll completely space out and I'll have to ask them, "What did you just say, I was day dreaming", even if we are both facing each other. I used to do that a lot, but not so much anymore.

That sounds like AS. And AS people can't have any clinically significant problem with cognition, outside of social.

NicksQuestions wrote:
I’m almost thinking that the reason I have social problems is because I may a social disorder. I mean, I want friends, and I don't want to be 80 by the time I start going on dates. Do any of you think I may have any particular type of social disorder?

Autism IS a social disorder.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 11:45 pm

after reading your post, i highly recommend reading more about autism from varied sources and looking into getting an assessment.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2009, 2:10 am

For me, Asperger's gets lesser with age. When you take a test like this, make sure you answer them as a teen rather than what you are like right now.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2009, 2:53 am

From reading your story I'm fairly certain you have a form of AS or HFA. You sound a lot like me. I alternate between having a social life and being completely immersed in solitary interests, sometimes for months at a time. I can't seem to handle both at the same time. I'm also very familiar with the need for mental stimulation.

NicksQuestions
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2009, 5:13 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
NicksQuestions wrote:

Autism is not progessive. It won't cause you to change from where you are now. So how could you worry?

What I meant is should I be concerned that I may have a mild form of HFA/Asperger's.

I'm concerned that I have some social disorder, since people say I'm extremely shy while from my perspective that is all a lie and that people won't let me interact. I figure that I need to figure out what's going on, or else I'll be extremely socially isolated for the rest of my life. I don't think I'll snap out of it just by trying to learn how to socialize on my own.

I wonder what types of "interventions" in general they use for people with Asperger symptoms?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2009, 5:23 pm

Interventions... well, at your age, you would probably get a counselor who could teach you social skills. If you're lucky, you'll get somebody who doesn't insist it's all your emotions, because autism is not an emotional problem or being overly shy. (Not that you can't have those things too. They're just not the main issue.)

Little kids get everything from heavy-duty psych meds to 40-hour weeks of intensive therapy, but... well, frankly, I think that's overkill, and way more than what they need; the meds turn them into junior zombies half the time, and make it much harder to learn.

Seems to me you really just need some how-to lessons in People 101. With a diagnosis, you could probably get them. I opted for studying sociology, psychology, and anthropology... which helps, but is very theoretical.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

NicksQuestions
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jun 2009, 5:28 pm

Is this OCD or Asperger/HFA behavior? For example often I'll be walking and then all of a sudden freeze in place looking at some detail in the wall or ceiling, while keeping my head still while doing so. Then I'll move my eyes back the same way that they came, since sometimes it feels weird if I don't, and often repeat it a few times. Sometimes as one of my hands moves against something, I'll rub it back the same way because I don't like the way it feels to have my hand rubbed one way. Sometimes I'll stare at the number two on a clock (or another number the next time around) for twenty minutes very rigidly as I daydream. Sometimes I'll click back and forth on my browser tabs for a few minutes for stimulation. Sometimes I'll move back and forth on my feet because there's a crack under neath me and I don't like the way it feels and I'll try to move back the same exact way my feet rolled the first time, but then doing it several times to get the feel that I came back the same way.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 5:47 pm

NicksQuestions wrote:
My parents said that I didn't start talking until I was four.

DIDN'T doesn't mean COULDN'T.. Apparently I "didn't seem interested" in learning numbers as a very young child, and then one day, my parents were quite shocked to discover that I knew them. Along with the social problems goes this inability to properly show when you're interested in something, I think.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2009, 6:00 pm

hmmmm it sounds possable I don't know I am kinda the same, you did not mention hand flapping and eye contact these two by far are specific in asergers as it is a very prodominant feature, as marshall posted I am the same it sounds like yu culd do though it is quite tough that one as it starts of fairly normal person, the interests thing is certainly interesting but aspies struggle with holding social patterns/conversatios and people in general unless it is about my inerests cnversations are doomed for me lol.
But I suggest to that you read some literature and just crusisse te forums we are all helpful hehe yor speaking age is very low however which definatey indicates some social disorder I personally think it is more likly you have PDD or as you said mild AS I hope yu get some information sorted and if any more queries just post up and I certanly will have an answer. But certainly first build upa base knowledge understand all the symptoms and see ad ask if you had them and then build that to evence and get a referal, it depends on your country in the UK we have a referral base.

But definately either mild AS or PDD I think