Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 6:04 pm

D1nk0 wrote:
BTW, its Autist and not Autie. The latter just sounds too babyish.

Autie is like aspie I think.

Some auties on here say they're auties.

Autist is a common German word by the way. We're all Autisten here.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 6:14 pm

beau99 wrote:
D1nk0 wrote:
BTW, its Autist and not Autie. The latter just sounds too babyish.
Whats the username of the person you're talking about BTW?

"Autist" sounds too sophisticated.

Too sophisticated? 8O

Well autie sounds incredibly childish, effete, and f*cking immature :x

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 6:31 pm

I don't watch the Oprah show anymore and neither does my mum. My mum said that she was getting ticked off at Oprah around the time that show aired, and that she was done with her, and I can see why.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 6:31 pm

D1nk0 wrote:
Shelby wrote:
After Oprah did a show recently on autism, I visited the forum at her website. There is a whole section just for autism, which is great to see. What surprised me though, is there are some people there who are completely bigoted against us auties. One in particular, has an intense hatred for autistic people and wants a cure to wipe us all out. She says we are arrogant, and that our lives are hell. She's even visited THIS site, just to read here and make hateful comments about us on the Oprah site!! !

I think a few of us need to get over there and defend ourselves. Let's speak up for ourselves and our fellow auties who cannot speak. I can't believe this kind of hatred exists toward us. We auties have so many positives, gifts and abilities.

Here's the link, it's easy to join up:
http://www.oprah.com/community/communit ... iscussions

Not suprised in the LEAST :evil: . BTW, its Autist and not Autie. The latter just sounds too babyish.
Whats the username of the person you're talking about BTW?

'Autie' is a informal person description for autistic disorder/classic autism like 'aspie' is for aspergers,so it does not work as a spectrum description anyway as not all with ASD are autie [or aspie].

original topic.

what stuff have they been saying that shows they have hate for autistics? am have been looking through some of the threads and it seems there are some negative comments,but not what am understand as hate.

also,am noticed a post from Shelby mentioning estrella? being the racism equivilent of disability [if that makes any sense am trying to work out the words for it],if she has definitely shown hatred to autistics because of their autism,there is a official name for it- disabilism,in the uk at least it's classed as a hate crime which is seen as equal to racism [supposed to be,but it isnt].
if what she is saying is definitely disabilist,and if not in uk look up hate crime in own country,see if it includes disabilism,and quote it to the mods of the oprah forum.

am think that lady is one of the few non WPers to not judge all WPers as being the same in everything like some users on the AS board,eg,they say all WPers are- HFA/aspies,anti cure,anti parents,anti NT etc,she's not grouping all in one description,she does not seem bad at all,just differnt with views that arent likely to be popular with a lot of spectrumers,am think a lot of it is about clashing with views,as was the problem with the AS board and some members from here as well.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2008, 6:53 pm

Thanks MysteryFan3. It's great that you got a diagnosis last year, brave of you. I agree with your comments about her needing more information.

This thread is generating a lot of good feedback to that conversation between Estella and Shelby.

I think it would benefit Estella if one of you on the Oprah forum cut and paste this whole thread there for her so she can see the kind of responses her attitude garners.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:41 pm

D1nk0 wrote:
Well autie sounds incredibly childish, effete, and f*cking immature :x

You just described me perfectly :)

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:44 pm

I recently read Jenny McCarthy's book, "Louder than Words." It was full of her usual foul language and temper tantrums. She has melted down in public numerous times. The sexual talk in the book was inappropriate for an autism book.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 8:08 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
'Autie' is a informal person description for autistic disorder/classic autism like 'aspie' is for aspergers,so it does not work as a spectrum description anyway as not all with ASD are autie [or aspie].

Actually 'autie' as far as I use it just is short for 'autistic', which includes all forms of 'ASD' given that 'autistic' is the 'A' in 'ASD'.

'Aspie' is a more specific term that can only refer to some autistic people (those with a certain rate and pattern of speech development), but I've always used 'autie' as the more general term.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2008, 9:57 pm

Oh my god you guys rock, so many great posts here and I agree with everyone except the person who thinks autie is babyish. I like it and a lot of people use it here. Anyway, I believe in calling yourself whatever you feel comfortable with, which is why I was so opposed to Holly who really got quite aggressive with her opinion that we MUST be called "people with autism" and that autistic was nails on a chalkboard to her :roll: If you prefer autist, great, some like ASD better. I've heard "Aspergian", which I think is a bit lame but the guy who uses it likes it. I like Autistic, and autie is a great abbreviation when online!! !! I also like to put eeee on the end of everything and I don't care about babyishness since I'm 29 and still wear pigtails at times :lol:

Oh and D1nk0 there's no need for that kind of response to beau99 and clearly you're in the minority because a lot of us say autie. If you think it's immature then don't say it. Don't tell us what to say and quit hijacking the thread. Start a new one "autie vs autist." :roll:

Nory: If you get a chance to see the Oprah episode when it reairs, watch it but be prepared to be ticked off! The negative attitude of both of them was terrible. I love Jim Carrey also, and he has a WONDERFUL attitude to autism. He said he was fascinated by Evan (Jenny's son) and that he believed auties have been sent to the world for a reason. He's fantastic, and hopefully that attitude is rubbing off on his girlfriend. He'll make a great dad to that boy.

KingdomOfRats: Disabilism, I like that! Yes I wanted to report her to the mods of Oprah.com, because as I pointed out on that thread if she was saying that about black people, she'd be banned (especially on oprah.com of all sites!) But clearly the mods are reading because they already delete one of my posts to estrella, and don't see disabilism as a form of hate crime.

Liverbird: Yeah, I pretty much agree that Jenny is an idiot. I can't stand to see her on TV anymore. She's usually only doing bimbo things anyway!!

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 10:50 pm

Shelby wrote:
I think a few of us need to get over there and defend ourselves. Let's speak up for ourselves and our fellow auties who cannot speak. I can't believe this kind of hatred exists toward us. We auties have so many positives, gifts and abilities.

You are right, yet simultaneously you are so wrong... The best way to slain a troll is to ignore it.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 11:48 pm

Shelby wrote:
Oh my god you guys rock, so many great posts here and I agree with everyone except the person who thinks autie is babyish. I like it and a lot of people use it here. Anyway, I believe in calling yourself whatever you feel comfortable with, which is why I was so opposed to Holly who really got quite aggressive with her opinion that we MUST be called "people with autism" and that autistic was nails on a chalkboard to her :roll: If you prefer autist, great, some like ASD better. I've heard "Aspergian", which I think is a bit lame but the guy who uses it likes it. I like Autistic, and autie is a great abbreviation when online!! !! I also like to put eeee on the end of everything and I don't care about babyishness since I'm 29 and still wear pigtails at times :lol:

Oh and D1nk0 there's no need for that kind of response to beau99 and clearly you're in the minority because a lot of us say autie. If you think it's immature then don't say it. Don't tell us what to say and quit hijacking the thread. Start a new one "autie vs autist." :roll:

Nory: If you get a chance to see the Oprah episode when it reairs, watch it but be prepared to be ticked off! The negative attitude of both of them was terrible. I love Jim Carrey also, and he has a WONDERFUL attitude to autism. He said he was fascinated by Evan (Jenny's son) and that he believed auties have been sent to the world for a reason. He's fantastic, and hopefully that attitude is rubbing off on his girlfriend. He'll make a great dad to that boy.

KingdomOfRats: Disabilism, I like that! Yes I wanted to report her to the mods of Oprah.com, because as I pointed out on that thread if she was saying that about black people, she'd be banned (especially on oprah.com of all sites!) But clearly the mods are reading because they already delete one of my posts to estrella, and don't see disabilism as a form of hate crime.

Liverbird: Yeah, I pretty much agree that Jenny is an idiot. I can't stand to see her on TV anymore. She's usually only doing bimbo things anyway!!

You didn f_cking answer my question of the username of the individual who was talkin sh1t about aspies & autists.
But back on topic, I wanna say that being an Aspie is a LOT more like being black than being gay(for me at least).
Its the kind of thing that is Totally obvious just by someone looking at and watching me(in person).

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2008, 1:39 am

Vexcalibur: I absolutely agree with you about ignoring trolls, but this woman was not a troll. To ignore her in this instance would be to let her continue spreading her hateful words about autism and possibly influencing the others who may visit that board to get advice - mainly parents of autistic children looking for information. I believe we have succeeded, estrella is now changing her tune after getting an earful from us. You can't ignore discrimination, that's how it gets out of control.

But yes, ignoring trolls is great advice which is why I will ignore the poster above me who insists on swearing and abusing others for using an expression he does not like.

24 Apr 2008, 8:45 am

I made a post about innocent people being accused of trolls just because of their opinions, or ignorant thoughts, etc. I was referring to some people though like estrella77 but I wasn't going to point fingers at anyone in my post. I figure those who read the post would know who I'm talking about so I wanted to hear their opinion of why they do it.

I don't think D1nk0 is being a troll, I think he is just frustrated.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2008, 9:21 am

Race is such a touchy subject. I’m not sure what to say.

I find any time people complain about something a person or child cannot change, especially something genetic, very painful. That is what upset me in part about the article in O magazine. That the children were possibly presented as a bad deal, not what was paid for so to speak and its dehumanizing to the child and damaging to their future self esteem and identity or sense of belonging.

The comments about race, reminded me though of a similar case involving not autism but also genes/cryobank kind of thing. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/03 ... aby-1.html I felt just so sorry for the child whose existence was flawless other than that she was genetically not what was expected.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 10:02 am

Shelby wrote:
I believe in calling yourself whatever you feel comfortable with, which is why I was so opposed to Holly who really got quite aggressive with her opinion that we MUST be called "people with autism" and that autistic was nails on a chalkboard to her :roll: If you prefer autist, great, some like ASD better. I've heard "Aspergian", which I think is a bit lame but the guy who uses it likes it. I like Autistic, and autie is a great abbreviation when online!! !!

Is she autistic? If not, what right does SHE claim to name what I am?

As I've ranted before, I am not a "person with maleness" - I'm a man. I'm not a "person with excess adipose tissue" - I'm fat. I'm not a "person with autism" - I'm autistic. I wonder how Oprah would react if we insisted that she should be referred to as a "person with extra melanin", rather than a "black woman"?

I think I'm going to swipe the German word, though - I like the sound of Autisten.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 10:57 am

OprahNT conditioning topic

I suppose for all the good Oprah does, there is going to be some bad. Differently abled people seem to be the last to be accepted, and are easily the subjects of discrimination. But we can and we are making a Difference with our Differences.

I like that term Autisten. Awesomely awe-tistic! :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo