Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

sammer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2008, 4:02 am

I have two people I am working with who have been diagnosed with Asperger's. They were so relieved to finally understand themselves. They both suffered significant abuse as children and have PTSD. Does any one have any information, research etc on how to help someone who has both Asperger's and PTSD?
thanks for your ideas

bookwormde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2008, 7:12 am

I have not seen any specific studies, but to some extent all spectrum individuals have a “part” of this if they were “unsupported” for a significant part of their lives. The anxiety and manifestations it creates, particularly the hyper-vigilance and other co morbidities are where I would suggest you focus by helping the aspie to become as self realized about Aspergers as he can be and to rebuild self esteem by letting them know that there is nothing wrong or needing fixed about being an aspie. There are just skills that he has to learn and apply intellectually (to the extent that he wants to fit into the neurotypical world). There is getting to be a large number of works about people with spectrum indications and what positive contribution they have given to civilization. I would offer some of these to him for a little “light reading”.

bookwormde