Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 8:59 pm

I know I have this. I need some help. Where do I go?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

29 Apr 2008, 9:02 pm

Your math teacher. :lol: Sorry, I don't know.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 9:05 pm

nueropsychologist

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 9:40 pm

what is it?

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Apr 2008, 9:48 pm

pakled wrote:
what is it?

Assuming you haven't googled it yet, it is the neurological inability to carry out mathematical equations mentally.

Mikomi wrote:
I know I have this. I need some help. Where do I go?

Sadly, you go to any psychologist, same as for Aspergers. Easier said than done I know.

Which reminds me, i must confirm my "preliminary psychological consult" appointment tomorrow.

VioletClementine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2008, 10:02 pm

I was diagnosed with dyscalculia (and Aspergers at the same time) when I went through a "test battery" at the age of 14 by some sort of neuropsychologist. I was too young to fully understand what her job was.

The good thing is, once you're officially diagnosed, you can get the proper assistance on math tests and such in school, if you're of that age. It helps so much. :D

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2008, 10:20 pm

I'm pretty certain I have dyscalculia too. For me, after I told my college about my maths struggles, they said they could test for it at college, but, due to not being completely sure whether I had it or not, I opted out, fearing that if I didn't have it, I'd look a bit stupid for suggesting it. I'm almost completely sure I have it though, but I just got turned down for a college course today (coincidentally, due to failing the maths part of the exam) and after I told the course tutor some of my issues with maths he said "well loads of people do that" so now he's made me doubt myself eveb more, if I didn't already. Do normal people really mix up numbers like 37 and 73 though? Everytime I see that number, I just can't figure out what the number is unless I concentrate really hard.

Anyway, my point is, if you go to a college, perhaps talk to them about it any see if they have any facilities available, or if they don't, they might have a list of places or people who deal with Dyscalculia who they could refer you to.

If you're not in college then I'm not sure what you would do. Contact a psychologist or talk to your doctor maybe?

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 11:20 pm

I can't figure this one out (runs and hides).

pixie-bell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2008, 4:13 am

Mikomi,

There is little point in trying to get a diagnosis of dyscalculia as an adult as it won't contribute to anything (e.g. employment) and just confirm you have difficulty with numbers or so people perceive it. It is usually picked up during early primary school (although, not as successfully as it should!) via a educational psychologist, or if you're fortunate, a neuropsychologist. Here in the UK (and suspect also the US) as an adult, many employers hold the attitude 'oh, difficulty with maths, doesn't everyone?' or the very irritating 'well, you're a woman', as it is still very new and researchers are still trying to disband what makes it different from other 'maths disorders'. It is a maths disorder, but, oh so much more!

It coincides with developmental dyspraxia (and AS). I myself am severely affected by it e.g difficulty with time, memory, frequently getting lost because of difficulties with direction/left/right, which causes severe panic because I don't know where I am (I used to walk the entire hospital trying to find my way to where the clinic was because I couldn't follow nor remember the verbal instructions).

If this is also the case with you, (going far beyond having difficulty with mathematical notations, concepts and time) then I would get an ASD card, as having one makes life a little easier. It helps immensely when going to the hospital (when my family can't accompany me) as it means that even when I can't communicate verbally, I can show the card and staff can help (usually by drawing a map or taking me where I have to go), saving a lot of time, stress and meltdowns. Obviously, it also helps in explaining any sensory issues also.

Hopes this helps!

Pixie-bell

Last edited by pixie-bell on 30 Apr 2008, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 4:26 am

Anniemaniac wrote:
I'm pretty certain I have dyscalculia too. For me, after I told my college about my maths struggles, they said they could test for it at college, but, due to not being completely sure whether I had it or not, I opted out, fearing that if I didn't have it, I'd look a bit stupid for suggesting it. I'm almost completely sure I have it though, but I just got turned down for a college course today (coincidentally, due to failing the maths part of the exam) and after I told the course tutor some of my issues with maths he said "well loads of people do that" so now he's made me doubt myself eveb more, if I didn't already. Do normal people really mix up numbers like 37 and 73 though? Everytime I see that number, I just can't figure out what the number is unless I concentrate really hard.

Anyway, my point is, if you go to a college, perhaps talk to them about it any see if they have any facilities available, or if they don't, they might have a list of places or people who deal with Dyscalculia who they could refer you to.

If you're not in college then I'm not sure what you would do. Contact a psychologist or talk to your doctor maybe?

Haha, I need like 2 or 3 extra mnemonic devices to stop myself from switching two numbers around.