Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Beckula
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2008, 11:27 am

When I am nervous or anxious, I laugh and smile a LOT, and I also do it in situations I shouldn't. I've read that with Aspergers you don't show a lot of emotion....so what does that mean? I just want to know if anyone on here has this same thing...or if I am just the only one who nervously smiles and laughs for no reason...

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 11:30 am

well, it doesn't seem like a NT would confuse emotions like that, so it may be an AS thing. I dunno, to be honest. I don't do it; I tend to get very very quiet when I get nervous. :S but then, we all deal with stress in different ways :D

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2008, 11:38 am

i do this too, i end up saying the irst thing that comes into my head followed by 'wahoo '
very cheesy and trying to stop it

Beckula
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2008, 11:40 am

Sometimes I get quiet, but when people stare at me or want me to react, seriously, my first reaction is to laugh things off and whatnot...I guess it depends on the situation...if I am embarassed, I clam up and turn red sometimes. I guess I never really was paying attention, but I know people have commented before that I seem to laugh a lot.

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2008, 11:48 am

I have giggling fits when I am really nervous or uncomfortable, and man has that been bad at times. (saying "no" and giggling is not a good combo.)

If I am smiling at the inappropriate time my mind has most likely wandered and I am thinking of something non-related. (feel free to use that excuse "sorry, I was thinking about something else."

I'm not diagnosed as anything though. About 95 percent sure I have asperger's.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 12:03 pm

hmm, I get red when I'm nervous, but when I'm really really nervous I turn pale :S

and if you've seen my photo on the left there, you'll realize that me turning pale would not be a pretty sight :D

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 1:01 pm

Me too. I had a friend once tell me, Here I am spilling my guts and you're laughing at me!

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 1:02 pm

to see me smile is as rare as seeing jesus
in person

spindriftdancer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2008, 1:08 pm

kleodimus wrote:
to see me smile is as rare as seeing jesus
in person

Oooooo. Yes, that only happens once in a blue moon... and most reports are somewhat suspect...

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 1:11 pm

those who say they have seen me smile are either lying or seen a picture a few years back not to mention my helly hansen jacket

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 1:12 pm

Specter wrote:
hmm, I get red when I'm nervous, but when I'm really really nervous I turn pale :S

and if you've seen my photo on the left there, you'll realize that me turning pale would not be a pretty sight :D

That's YOU? I thought that was Anthony Michael Hall from Weird Science. (just kidding. Actually I figured you'd been in a school play version of Men In Black) Seriously, I'm just teasing you. I'll stop now. No offense intended. Someone once told me I reminded them of Dean Haglund (Langley, the blonde guy from the X Files Lone Gunmen.) I still don't get that.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 1:17 pm

:wink: Actually, Anthony Michael Hall turned out to be a bit of a heartthrob.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 1:21 pm

Willard wrote:
Specter wrote:

That's YOU? I thought that was Anthony Michael Hall from Weird Science. (just kidding. Actually I figured you'd been in a school play version of Men In Black) Seriously, I'm just teasing you. I'll stop now. No offense intended. Someone once told me I reminded them of Dean Haglund (Langley, the blonde guy from the X Files Lone Gunmen.) I still don't get that.

yeah, that's me. :D and that was the night of a big choir performance. I had my glasses on as a joke. "agent smith" glasses, by the way. :D

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2008, 1:42 pm

My face is usually a blank (though sometimes looks "sad" or "upset" to others - not intentionally!); however, I have done this (smile or laugh at inappropriate times). It's just instinctual for some things and I'm not sure why. I don't do it (or haven't yet) when someone is telling me something very serious with which they need help, but when they're being serious about me, or when I (or someone else) has fallen or something like that, I laugh and shouldn't.

I don't know if it's an AS thing, but I know that rdos has a question about it on the Aspie-quiz.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 1:43 pm

Jeyradan wrote:
My face is usually a blank (though sometimes looks "sad" or "upset" to others - not intentionally!)

exactly :D

and kudos on the use of "; however," correctly :D

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2008, 1:54 pm

I smile a lot, and mostly at appropriate times. But smiling is sort of something I've had to teach myself to do, along with laughing in a non-hyperventilatory manner.

:D :) :lol: :wink: :P :tongue: 8) :roll: :bom: :dwarf:

Sorry. I got a bit carried away with the smilies.