Is it possible I do NOT have fibromyalgia?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Beckula
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2008, 9:21 pm

In light of my new "discovery" of Aspergers I am really wondering if it is possible I do NOT have fibromyalgia after all???

In case you don't know the symptoms, here they are:

Widespread pain. Fibromyalgia is characterized by pain in specific areas of your body when pressure is applied, including the back of your head, upper back and neck, upper chest, elbows, hips and knees. The pain generally persists for months at a time and is often accompanied by stiffness.
Fatigue and sleep disturbances. People with fibromyalgia often wake up tired and unrefreshed even though they seem to get plenty of sleep. Some studies suggest that this sleep problem is the result of a sleep disorder called alpha wave interrupted sleep pattern, a condition in which deep sleep is frequently interrupted by bursts of brain activity similar to wakefulness. So people with fibromyalgia miss the deep restorative stage of sleep. Nighttime muscle spasms in your legs and restless legs syndrome also may be associated with fibromyalgia.
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain and bloating associated with IBS are common in people with fibromyalgia.
Headaches and facial pain. Many people who have fibromyalgia also have headaches and facial pain that may be related to tenderness or stiffness in their neck and shoulders.
Heightened sensitivity. It's common for people with fibromyalgia to report being sensitive to odors, noises, bright lights and touch.

I have all of these, the worst is pain, mostly in the shoulders, neck and back. I guess it's possible that I could have both, but it would be cool if I didn't have fibromyalgia at ALL and it was just AS.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 9:36 pm

2 ARE common symptoms of ASD/AS, etc... 2 others ARE possible symptoms of of THOSE symptoms. Another IS a possible symptom of that.

Still, all that is obvious. Have you had insomnia?

Beckula
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2008, 9:42 pm

I have had insomnia for quite some time...even as a kid it was hard to go to sleep. Once I am asleep (I take Tylenol PM daily), I am fine.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 9:57 pm

They have a few things in common, but none relating to the pain that I know of.

I've always had problems with insomnia, IBS & sensory problems...but the pain, fatigue, & thick fog just rolled in about 10 years ago in my case.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2008, 7:07 am

I don't think there's much overlap between fibromyalgia and AS. My boyfriend has fibromyalgia and I have AS, and we don't really share any symptoms aside from sensory sensitivities (we both memory difficulties and trouble getting stuff done, but they have completely different causes; only the end result is similar). I know a lot of people with AS have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and sensory problems are definitely a part of AS. Pain isn't really a symptom of AS though. Regarding your sleep problems - is it more that you have insomnia, or that no matter how much you sleep you feel like you haven't slept at all? The former could be AS-related; the latter is more likely to be fibromyalgia-related.

Edit: Somehow I missed that you said you had insomnia, sorry... That could definitely be AS-related. I don't know if it's a part of fibromyalgia; I don't think it is, except if it's caused by pain (i.e. you hurt so much that you can't fall asleep). But waking up feeling like you haven't slept is more a fibromyalgia thing. And chronic pain isn't a symptom of AS.

Beckula
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2008, 8:18 am

Dang it...well, I guess I might have both.