Do you have problems with dressing yourself?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:25 am

From a severe impairment in such (being unable to do such without support), to perhaps feeling discomfort if you don't dress yourself in the same way, or having to wear the same clothes for example. Perhaps you have no problems with such?

I'm of the, cannot wear clothes unless I put them on the same way and I wear the same type of stuff ilk.

(Before anyone says that how can one actually communicate if they cannot dress themselves at all, I know of a young man with AS who cannot dress himself most mornings, granted, he was diagnosed using Gillberg's AS criteria, but his IQ is above-average, and his speech is fine).

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:41 am

most of mornings i would dress in same clothes this has gived me hard time until i learned to but new ones ready for morning(and hide old in whasher so i cant get em :lol: ) but sometimes i still prefer to use old ones :)

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2008, 1:57 am

I used to be far worse, hating anything constricting my neck at all, and hating tight clothes. I still can't wear tight trousers or anything that brushes against my knees (long shorts, etc.).

My main problems now are more due to my Dyspraxic tendencies. On a bad day, I have a lot of trouble with tight buttons, zippers, etc. At one point, my mum had to create a new button-hole and button on a pair of jeans I had, because the existing one was impossible for me to fasten. I just could not push the big metal button through the small fabric eyelet.

On a similar vein, I have trouble with taps, bottle lids, etc if they are fastened/closed too tightly. It's embarrassing to me to have to ask a stranger to open my water bottle for me when I really need to sip some water :?

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 2:01 am

I think I do like too. But I have my favorites.
When I was little I just liked dresses - I still do! I wear pants/jeans, but dresses feel 'right.'
Do you like to set out what you'll wear the night before? I used to do this - it helps.
I wish, at night, I could remember to sleep.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 2:05 am

Sorry to post twice; about water bottles:

At work once (different place) I had a really embarssing experience - I still feel awful. A female that I had always treated well never really liked me much. I had helped train her too, which she liked. She just didn't like ME. I try very hard.

Anyway, at break time I had an open water bottle. I was speaking to her and I accidentally started to tip the bottle and spill some water on her pantleg (she was seated)! I apologized profusely, really sorry, and offered her a paper towel. I guess I was, in combination, nervous and uncoordinated. I think she used this as arsenal against me.
I don't like being teased.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 2:19 am

LabPet wrote:
I think I do like too. But I have my favorites.
When I was little I just liked dresses - I still do! I wear pants/jeans, but dresses feel 'right.'
Do you like to set out what you'll wear the night before? I used to do this - it helps.
I wish, at night, I could remember to sleep.
i still do this in order to survive

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

02 May 2008, 4:07 am

I like to wear the same stuff each day and have a few copys of the same clothes.
I hate coats and alot of jackets so sometimes i get very cold but would rather feel cold than the alternative.
When i was really young i would refuse to wear clothes but i can also remember how bad some things were to wear.
Jelly shoes-Hard plastic cutting into the feet.
Jeans-cardboard like feel.
Petty coats-Itchy sandpaper like.
Now im older i have to always have my legs covered so i wear nightwear,i can't stand the feel of my thighs touching.
Wearing the wrong kind of clothes can seriously ruin my day.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 May 2008, 4:36 am

Yes, there is a very restricted range of clothes that I am happy/confortable/secure wearing, either for sensory reasons ( hate tight clothes, scritchy stuff, shinysmooth nylony stuff or silk for some reason), or for "sense of myself"/second skin reasons, ( shapes and colours have to be "just right" according to some standard in my head).

:study:

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 6:00 am

I have no problems with dressing myself.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 6:23 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
I have no problems with dressing myself.

Same here. I DO, however, remember having some trouble with buttoning certain buttons, or tying my shoes. I was VERY young, but I DID have a high IQ and communicated well. WHY the problem? Buttons had to do with dexterity and the fact I pushed myself a bit. The shoelaces I really didn't have help with. When I was like in highschool, I had the same problem with a tie.

Funny that you should mention it, Daniel. I was JUST watching a video showing stupid simple physical acts and how they can be difficult because they are new and/or mutually distracting. One was the "vulcan salute" and REVERSE "vulcan salute". I can do THOSE, but only because nimoy once challenged people to do it, and I practiced. Everyone in that video probably did the stuff perfectly by the next day. BTW the people were all people there to study new memory methods, and speed reading.

Still, EVERYONE has problems with this for SOME reason, and MOST try to get rid of it ASAP. TODAY there are different clothing styles, and cheats, and I guess some don't even WANT to try. I, for example, slip my shoes on/off every day. Of course, SOMETIMES they come untyed, and I have to tie them again. When the time comes though, it is no big hassle.

Tigercub
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 May 2008, 6:32 am

Yes. I am severely limited in what I can wear due to sensory issues - clothes can be neither too tight nor too loose, absolutely no high collars, only certain fabrics, no too-stiff anything (but especially waistbands!). If I wear a "bad" piece of clothing for more than a few minutes, I feel like my hand has been shoved in an electrical socket and have a sensory meltdown. My peers sometimes make rude comments about my clothing choices (I don’t really know why - I usually just wear tan shorts and a t-shirt (nothing provocative) but I guess they don’t like it because it’s not in style). Shopping for clothes is a nightmare - when I find an acceptable shirt or pair of shorts or pants, I usually buy a few. I sometimes re-wear clothes from the day before, and occasionally everything I own will become unacceptable with the exception of one outfit, which I will wear for a week or more (washing it at night, of course :wink:).

I am slightly myopic (nearsighted), but I hate to wear my glasses because the part that presses on my nose makes me feel like I am going to sneeze.

Color coordination - I'm not sure I even know what that means. I often realize midday that my socks do not match. 8O :D

To this day, I have a hard time tying my shoes. It's not that I can't do it, but it takes me about five minutes (sometimes more) to do the laces and they often come undone. These days I just tie the knots on my sneakers loose enough so that I can slide my feet in and out without having to redo the laces.

Oh, and I have to wear my watch at all times (and it has to have a plastic band like my watch now, because I don’t like the feeling of leather or metal on my wrist). I become quite upset if I want to know the time and can't find it out. (I know - it seems weird even to me :?).

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 6:49 am

I cannot wear a watch due to sensory problems. As well as my need for a routine, I need to wear certain things due to their sensation on my skin; many clothes are out due to such. I sleep in the stuff I wear during the day at night.

2ukenkerl,

There's several unique reasons for why people with ASDs have trouble with clothes [compared to normal people]: needing a routine to dress themselves (a certain order, a certain type, a certain colour, etcetera), the need for certain tactile sensations over others, the lack of executive functioning to initiate the action of such, all of these people can't simply get rid of it, just like any symptom of ASDs.

I wonder which reason affects people with ASDs more; I'm betting it's varied, some people have this reason, others have all of them, and any combination thereof. Or some people have none (I'm betting that none is in the minority).

northern_light_girl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2008, 7:24 am

Tails wrote:
I used to be far worse, hating anything constricting my neck at all, and hating tight clothes. I still can't wear tight trousers or anything that brushes against my knees (long shorts, etc.).

I HATE anything with a tight collar around my neck..even necklaces (there are moments when I feel so sensitive to anything around my neck, even the smallest touch!) I can't wear caps or even sunglasses -I do but I'd rather avoid it....they tend to disorient me a bit (you know how a cat reacts when you put a sock on her foot? She jumps and does all kinds of funny movements..it's uncoordonated..that's how it feels, like trying to get rid of a foreign object:) But I don't think it's AS related.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 7:28 am

I hate shirts with collars on them they feel very constricting, plus I don't feel comfortable unless I'm wearing a jacket or sweater(even when it's 80 degrees outside)

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 8:15 am

I used 2 have a problem dressing up 4 myself when i was a lot younger but once i became a teenager i had no problems wotsoever.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2008, 8:21 am

Yes and no.

No: I usually have no problems putting on the clothes that I own. I've chosen to buy only clothing that is comfortable for me (i.e., no turtlenecks, no skirts or dresses, a certain fit and tightness, nothing with certain types of seam thread, etc.) and if I don't like it after buying it, I get rid of it. So that's not a problem.

Yes: I sometimes have difficulty with buttons or zippers when I'm in "clumsy" mode. I don't know if this is dyspraxic, fine motor skills, or something else, but I sometimes have trouble with them. Also, I have a somewhat restricted range of clothing that I'll wear, as mentioned above, so I'd have problems wearing something that wasn't comfortable to me.

Some clothing has tags that I can tolerate; most doesn't. I really am not yet sure of the difference between the tags I can handle and those I can't (other than perhaps the good ones are softer). And I hate the tags that are on the side of the clothing.