Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2008, 9:33 pm

So my mother threw something out into the recycling bin by accident. I was upset. I told her I would go through the bin. She insists on doing it herself.

As she is looking through the bin, I open the garage door. Our neighbor across the street sees my mother looking through the bin. She goes ballistic at me thinking the neighbor will get a bad impression of her digging through the recycling bin. She really lost it.

Is it that bad that the neighbor saw her going through the bin? Does it really make her look bad?

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2008, 9:37 pm

Oh not really, but NT's often get hung up about what others think. I doubt very much that the neighbour thought anything of her going through the bin, just that your mom was looking for something.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Apr 2008, 11:12 pm

Sounds like my mom. Seriously, it would have been far more embarrassing, if she'd been caught going through the neighbor's bin.

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2008, 11:29 pm

JWRed wrote:
So my mother threw something out into the recycling bin by accident. I was upset. I told her I would go through the bin. She insists on doing it herself.

As she is looking through the bin, I open the garage door. Our neighbor across the street sees my mother looking through the bin. She goes ballistic at me thinking the neighbor will get a bad impression of her digging through the recycling bin. She really lost it.

Is it that bad that the neighbor saw her going through the bin? Does it really make her look bad?

Would the neighbor have known it was her bin? If she thought the neighbor didn't know that, she may have been afraid he'd think she was reduced to poverty and going through other's bins for food. Or else had some kind of OCD or hoarding disorder. It seems like kind of an overreaction though, showing that maybe she's really insecure. NT's that feel more secure and calm don't usually react this way, even if they do care what others think to a certain extent.

Last edited by Norah_W on 28 Apr 2008, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 11:31 pm

i wouldnt think nothing of it unless she was proper halfway down the bin head first or something

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2008, 11:54 pm

The bin was in our garage.

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2008, 12:15 am

JWRed wrote:
The bin was in our garage.

Oh she was definitely overreacting then! Either something else was going on in her life or she has an anxiety or other disorder, but she shouldn't have taken it out on you whatever the case.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2008, 3:17 am

I think most people have accidentally thrown away stuff before and tried to revover it, it's nothing to be embarrassed about, but I can imagine she does, I would.
Show her you appreciate her efforts, she did try.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 11:25 am

yup, people care too much what people think, in my opinion.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 3:07 pm

Your mom definitely over-reacted, an overreaction that I'm guessing is based on how she was raised. Garbage is one of those things that are often a part of neurosis-causing taboos of "respectability."

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 3:37 pm

She definitely over-reacted. I wonder what she would have made of me this morning - we've got a blocked drain and I had my arm submerged in the sewage of the septic tank trying to poke a rod into the pipe. Frankly I wasn't bothered if a neighbour saw me, and you can't do much more disgusting than that! 8O

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Apr 2008, 5:09 pm

IMO, caring what people think is a useless exercise, since you can't know for sure what they are thinking about unless you are a mind reader. So you might as well not care!