Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 4:12 pm

Would you say, based on experiences/research, that nvld is simply a mild form of Aspergers?

Is there a better outcome for kids/adults dx'd with nvld?

curious.

aspiegirl87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2008, 4:13 pm

what is nvld? i mean what does it stand for?

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 4:18 pm

Not Very Lemonade Drinker :P

Seriously,

Non Verbal Learning Disorder.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 4:22 pm

Non-verbal learning disorder is something entirely separate from AS. They can coincide sometimes, but not always.

GoatOnFire, you have an interesting avatar. Is it referring to the Democratic Party over the Republicans? If so, why the switch from donkey to goat?

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 4:24 pm

aspiegirl87 wrote:
what is nvld? i mean what does it stand for?

no voles like dancing *nods*

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 4:52 pm

Orwell wrote:
Non-verbal learning disorder is something entirely separate from AS. They can coincide sometimes, but not always.

I believe this is the case. NVLD and AS(D) tend to but don't always appear together. NVLD affects some similar, some different areas than AS. I'm autistic but do not have NVLD. My profile is actually the opposite of a stereotypical NVLD profile.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 5:18 pm

I think that in terms of social problems, NLD is somewhat milder than AS usually. However, NLD is characterized by deficits in visual perception, visual memory, spatial perception, tactile perception, visual-motor integration, etc., which someone with AS may or may not have. So in terms of "mildness," it really depends on what specific impairment you are talking about. NLD is also associated with certain strengths by the way, such as rote memory and verbal skills.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:24 pm

I have some parts of the NVLD & not others - I have the spatial perception & visual-motor integration problems (the latter with my upper body only - it gets worse the higher up I get, so my head is the worst part!), & the strengths of rote memory & verbal skills.

However, I am very good at Maths in general, but not with practical things such as understanding how 3-D things fit together.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:50 pm

shopaholic wrote:
I have some parts of the NVLD & not others - I have the spatial perception & visual-motor integration problems (the latter with my upper body only - it gets worse the higher up I get, so my head is the worst part!), & the strengths of rote memory & verbal skills.

However, I am very good at Maths in general, but not with practical things such as understanding how 3-D things fit together.

You can be good at math and have NLD. I aced Calculus in high school, and I am officially diagnosed with NLD. If you read articles by researchers other than Rourke (who tends to focus on NLD as a math disability), you learn that there are different subtypes of NLD, and only about 50-75% of kids with NLD actually have difficulties in math.

There's kind of a triad of impairment for NLD the same way there is for ASDs:

(1) visual-spatial ability
(2) visual-motor integration
(3) social skills

Impairments in these three areas indicate NLD.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:57 pm

OK, so I may have this as well to add to the collection then!

When I read the NVLD website, the description of the NVLD child could actually have been written about me, except for the part aboutt not being able to do maths, which I was really good at.

But I definitely don't just have NVLD, because I have other AS traits such as the stimming, the meltdowns & the interests.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 3:25 pm

My son, too, fits other criteria for ASD such as repetitive and stereotypical behaviors, fixation on interest (s), stimming etc. So, how could the psych say no ASD--but tack on NVLD, ADHD, and a bit of OCD???? Aren't these all part and parcel of the spectrum? UGH! Brief visit--not long enough (45 minute chat) and he noticed social cue issues. But no history about, just a few questions. No evaluation should ever be done so haphazardly of a child diagnosed with a spectrum disorder in my opinion. Too many subtleties.

My son is percieved to have too much potential to be on the spectrum--does this make sense?

But, he said leave the autism label because you treat NVLD as Aspergers. It's all so arbitrary it seems.

I'm sticking with the autism label of course. I feel like I know more about Aspergers than any of them! They are very limited, it appears, in their understanding of AS/HFA (the team that is along with the psych--he obviously has a different viewpoint).

equinn

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 9:22 pm

equinn wrote:
But, he said leave the autism label because you treat NVLD as Aspergers. It's all so arbitrary it seems.

"Autism" by itself usually equates to Autistic Disorder. Autism/Autistic Spectrum Disorder is accurate in defining NVLD and AS.

It sounds like your son is too "high-functioning" for the AS label; which is a good thing. It's common for young children with AS to be aloof to others, i.e., appears uninterested in interacting with anyone other than family members. NVLD has less a severe social impairment (empathy and theory of mind are less affected, as well as nonverbal cues).

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 9:42 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
equinn wrote:

"Autism" by itself usually equates to Autistic Disorder. Autism/Autistic Spectrum Disorder is accurate in defining NVLD and AS.

It sounds like your son is too "high-functioning" for the AS label; which is a good thing. It's common for young children with AS to be aloof to others, i.e., appears uninterested in interacting with anyone other than family members. NVLD has less a severe social impairment (empathy and theory of mind are less affected, as well as nonverbal cues).

I think this is why he was pdd-nos, but to eliminate the spectrum altogether, I don't think is wise.

From what I've read, AS kids can also be extremely engaging with adults like my son. But he's too "with it" or engaged? I'm just not sure. Believe me, I'm not looking for autism but if you lived with my son you'd see the autistic behaviors. He can't function with large groups of kids, on his own and requires a 1:1 aide for attention and other reasons. So to say he is too high functioning to be AS??? I just don't know. Why does he need a 1:1 aide then?

What I do know is that autism for educational purposes captures the best picture of him. When you tack on ADHD--this overrides everything else because it is easier to understand and deal with I suppose.

okay--thx,

equinn

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 10:47 pm

PDD-NOS is a part of the spectrum. This can include "mild" Asperger's.

Perhaps his social reciprocation isn't too bad; some children with AS can "lecture" adults, but that's usually it. If he can interact with the professionals without too much difficulty as they assess him, they'll probably say that he's too high-functioning for AS [no matter his repetitive behaviors].

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 6:52 am

Danielismyname wrote:
PDD-NOS is a part of the spectrum. This can include "mild" Asperger's.

Perhaps his social reciprocation isn't too bad; some children with AS can "lecture" adults, but that's usually it. If he can interact with the professionals without too much difficulty as they assess him, they'll probably say that he's too high-functioning for AS [no matter his repetitive behaviors].

I think you've got it. This was the reason he didn't get Asperger diagnosis he was "quite appropriate" when conversing with evaluator despite his perseverating on his lap top in the car and wanting to return to it.

Unfortunately, this should not be the reason why he's not diagnosed with AS. The other parts of him are equally as important. It is a big picture.

His social impairments are seious enough that he misconstrues how something is said and has difficulty relating to his peers (yet he doesn't seem so put off by it).

Also, he converses with adults about what HE wants to discuss--not their agenda. If they can answer his questions, he's interested. Believe me, otherwise he's very abrupt and noninterested. So, is this appropriate? I think he does answer questions, but then switches instantly to his interests/questions. He approaches an adult with a question.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 8:17 am

No Validated Link Darnit!

They are not the same thing.