Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Which statement fits you best?
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork to buy and I own or want one. 26%  26%  [ 18 ]
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork to buy and I own or want one. 26%  26%  [ 18 ]
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork to buy and I don't want/own one. 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork to buy and I don't want/own one. 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork, but I am disqualified for psychiatric reasons. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork, but I am disqualified for psychiatric reasons. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's alot of trouble to get a gun legally in my country, but I managed to get one. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's alot of trouble to get a gun legally in my country, but I managed to get one. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's alot of trouble to get a gun legally in my country, and I don't have one. 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
It's alot of trouble to get a gun legally in my country, and I don't have one. 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Guns are banned without exception here. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Guns are banned without exception here. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Screw everybody's gun laws! I bought mine on the black market! 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Screw everybody's gun laws! I bought mine on the black market! 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 70

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 1:42 am

I finally got my gun! :jester: I was going to get a semiautomatic shotgun, but I found a really nice Soviet SKS rifle that would be cheaper to feed since money is a bit of an issue at the moment. It's probably going to be my only gun for a while, so it's known as a great recreational shooting gun, and it was designed for the Red Army at the end of WWII, so it will make a great personal defense weapon as well- especially since it still has the bayonet. :D

Most of my shooting has been .22s, 12 gauge target loads, and .50 cal. black powder. Has anybody has any sensory issue problems with shooting any particular type of gun or caliber, and has anybody ever had sensory overload problems at a range (I plan to use remote places mostly though)?

PLEASE, no gun control debate here. :)

Lyssie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2005, 1:49 am

In California, you can own a gun, but you can't really carry in public and getting a concealed carry permit is very difficult and you have to get one for each county. So, it's not really realistic for me to own one while I'm here. I do want to move out of the state, however - and Texas has been high on my list of places to move. Concealed carry permits are very easy to come by over there. My gun of choice would be a Kahr PM40... a nice subcompact .40 S&W.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 3:31 am

I have a WW2 era Russian Nagant that shoots 7.62x54 rounds.

I joined the gun club at the university. We went to the shooting range a few times. I can shoot my own gun fine, but all those other weapons going off around me made me jumpy. I stopped going.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2005, 4:16 am

Only have a BB gun ! They are fun. Used to sit out in the garden shooting cans.

After watching countless WWII movies .... "I want a Luger" :lol:

I think its lucky i live in a country that doesnt accept guns. Never know what might happen when depression kicks in :cry:

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 6:19 am

I want a gun for self-defense to keep either in my glove box or somewhere in my apartment. Ohio has a concealed carry law, but it sucks because almost every place prohibits weapons.

I've never shot at a range. My grandparents had this huge backwoods farm in Alabama, and that's where I used to do my shooting.

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 7:29 am

Well I wonder if it's as easy as how Homer got the gun:

Homer: Now, I believe you have some sort of firearm for me.
Gun Shop Owner: Well, let's see here. According to your background check, you've been in a mental institution...
Homer: Yeah.
Gun Shop Owner: ...frequent problems with alcohol...
Homer: [laughs nervously] Yeah.
Gun Shop Owner: ...beat up President Bush!
Homer: Former President Bush.
[The owner slaps a red rubber stamper on Homer's printout.]
Homer: "Potentially dangerous"?!
Gun Shop Owner: Relax, that just limits you to three handguns or less.
Homer: Woo hoo!

Anyway Sean, it's nice to know you'll be able to keep the King of England out of your face. :wink:

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 8:48 am

Or rather, you would IF we wanted you're country back. To be honest, the state you guys are getting it into, no thanks :P

Plus, we don't have a king at the moment.

Ho hum.

Anyways, a quote Sean may find funny.

"There are few problems in the world that cannot be solved by repeatedly shooting at them."

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 12:20 pm

BlackLiger wrote:
Plus, we don't have a king at the moment.

I know there's no king, that was the whole joke. What I said was a parody of The Simpsons:

Homer: But I have to have a gun! It's in the Constitution!
Lisa: Dad! The Second Amendment is just a remnant from revolutionary days. It has no meaning today!
Homer: You couldn't be more wrong, Lisa. If I didn't have this gun, the King of England could just walk in here any time he wants, and start shoving you around. [pushing Lisa] Do you want that? [pushing her harder] Huh? Do you?
Lisa: [quietly indignant] No...
Homer: All right, then.

Also, later on:

Krusty: Hey, yutz! Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 6:32 pm

Where I live is one town you never want to be without a gun. With all these fools around here doing home invasions, murders and car-jackings, plus this city having the second highest crime rate in the country, it would be foolish not to consider owning one.

My dealings with perverts, weirdos and close calls with men who were up to no good have prompted me into considering buying a 9 mill or .38. I need something I can carry in my purse so at least I can step outside without fearing for my life.........and that isn't an exaggeration, by the way.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 6:36 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
Where I live is one town you never want to be without a gun. With all these fools around here doing home invasions, murders and car-jackings, plus this city having the second highest crime rate in the country, it would be foolish not to consider owning one.

My dealings with perverts, weirdos and close calls with men who were up to no good have prompted me into considering buying a 9 mill or .38. I need something I can carry in my purse so at least I can step outside without fearing for my life.........and that isn't an exaggeration, by the way.

9mm's don't always stop somebody. For a semiautomatic, you should get at least a .40s&w. For a revolver, you shoud get at least a .357. Oh, don't forget the hollow points.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 6:45 pm

Sean wrote:
I finally got my gun! :jester: I was going to get a semiautomatic shotgun, but I found a really nice Soviet SKS rifle that would be cheaper to feed since money is a bit of an issue at the moment. It's probably going to be my only gun for a while, so it's known as a great recreational shooting gun, and it was designed for the Red Army at the end of WWII

Congratulations, Sean. As you know, I am not a gun person, but I still think the one you got sounds cool. A rifle designed for the Red Army during WWII! That is too cool!

You better be careful, though. Those Soviets were commies, so that is a liberal gun! :lol:

Sean wrote:
it will make a great personal defense weapon as well- especially since it still has the bayonet. :D

*imagines Sean carrying his rifle around and warding off attackers with his bayonet* :lol:

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 10:50 pm

fareeq wrote:
I want a gun for self-defense to keep either in my glove box or somewhere in my apartment. Ohio has a concealed carry law, but it sucks because almost every place prohibits weapons.

What if you got the CCW, and left the gun in the car at those particular places? If the NRA and gun industry get their way in the near future, those "no guns allowed" signs will be prohibited in Ohio.

thatrsdude wrote:
[The owner slaps a red rubber stamper on Homer's printout.]
Homer: "Potentially dangerous"?!
Gun Shop Owner: Relax, that just limits you to three handguns or less.
Homer: Woo hoo!

Anyway Sean, it's nice to know you'll be able to keep the King of England out of your face.

I devided up information about my mental health among many people (including online) six months ago to avoid that problem. I probably would be temporarily ineligable to own a gun right now if I wasn't smarter and better informed than the politicians that wrote the mental health laws and also the mental health professionals they rely on to help enforce them.

As for the King of England, I'm not too worried about that. Apart from the local crackheads, my biggest homeland security concerns are:
terrorists
Mexican drug cartels
China
the UN (yes, I would fire on UN troops)

BlackLiger wrote:
Anyways, a quote Sean may find funny.

"There are few problems in the world that cannot be solved by repeatedly shooting at them."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bec wrote:
Congratulations, Sean. As you know, I am not a gun person, but I still think the one you got sounds cool. A rifle designed for the Red Army during WWII! That is too cool!

You better be careful, though. Those Soviets were commies, so that is a liberal gun! :lol:

You should try going shooting sometime- at least once. :) As for being a Communist gun, it was manufactured during the Stalin regime with the purpose of converting people over to communism at the end of a bayonet. Now, communism has long since collapsed in all but a few places and some enterprising capitalist convert in the Red Army has sold it on the free market. :D It's more like a really sweet little monument to our victory in the Cold War. :jester:

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 10:55 pm

I knew Sean had to put a thread like this on sooner or later, and it just made me laugh.
Good on you Sean, I am glad you are happy.

I have used a .22 rifle in army cadets. It was great fun. :)

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 10:55 pm

I knew Sean had to put a thread like this on sooner or later, and it just made me laugh.
Good on you Sean, I am glad you are happy.

I have used a .22 rifle in army cadets. It was great fun. :)

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 12:44 am

My mum owned a .22, for the parrots. A 12 gauge shotgun for bunny bashing. We also had an air rifle, and an air pistol. My mum's .22 rocks. Its got a scope, and a cartridge that can hold about 13 bullets. She had long range bullets too, that could go for miles. A veritable sniper rifle.
S&W's suck. Give me a H&K. Mmmm, an MP5'd be nice.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 12:57 am

danlo wrote:
My mum owned a .22, for the parrots. A 12 gauge shotgun for bunny bashing. We also had an air rifle, and an air pistol. My mum's .22 rocks. Its got a scope, and a cartridge that can hold about 13 bullets. She had long range bullets too, that could go for miles. A veritable sniper rifle.
S&W's suck. Give me a H&K. Mmmm, an MP5'd be nice.

Why do you say had? Were the guns confinscated?

I'd like to get a Federal Firearms license for a Thompson, scilenced MP5, M-60, and a Browning .50. I wouldn't want an AK-47, because an SKS can be customized into a much nicer submachinegun with a higher capacity than an AK-47, so I'd rather just buy another SKS and aftermarket parts.