Do you think your condition is apparent to others?

Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 5:49 pm

Nobody's ever asked.

Okay, fine, I'll make my post longer.

None of my peers at school ever suspected that I had a specific condition, much less Asperger's, although that's probably because most of them had never heard of it. The one person who did notice that I had AS was a support teacher who was used to working with pupils with learning difficulties and special needs.

I was always the quiet one, the walking dictionary, the one who smiles all the time, the brainy one, the teacher's son, the eccentric, the maths wizz (haha) and so on. Since I had a reputation of being eccentric, I was never afraid to do quirky things so this reinforced the fact that I was, let's say, unusual.

I didn't talk a great deal at school, but I was never completely isolated. Also, I don't stim noticeably in front of other people, and my eye contact isn't bad, so even if my friends did know what AS was, they might not have picked it up. They'd have just put me down as 'quiet, brainy and weird.'

I did have one friend who was also diagnosed with AS, but he never knew I had it until I told him.

cyrus1874
Raven
Raven

13 May 2008, 10:21 pm

Most people would probably call me odd but not autistic. I work in field where it is not unusual to find "weird" people so many of my co-workers probably don't suspect anything.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 10:42 pm

pinkbowtiepumps wrote:
When you interact with other people, do you think that they assume you're on the spectrum, or do they just assume you're quiet and quirky? Do you think it crosses their minds?

Most people I know don't know what AS is, so they assume I'm just a little quiet. If I happen to tell anybody, then they'll usually respond with "...oh, that makes so much sense!"

What about you?

I don't tell them adn I don't intend to. It's none of their business. Yes, people are aware that there's something 'different' or 'slightly off' about me, but I haven't been actually confronted about my 'oddness' since my school days. Adults just avoid me these days, except for the super-outgoing ones. I did once have the title of 'Shyest Girl in the Whole School,' noted in one of my high school yearbooks. Normally I pride myself in my ability to fly under most people's radar, but evidently someone took notice of me that year. Back then, people did ask me right to my face what was wrong with me. I'd never even suspected that there was such a thing as AS, let alone be one, so I really had no answer for them except to lower my head and slink away while they laughed at me.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 11:55 pm

I've noticed a lot of us are known as 'odd', 'weird', or 'eccentric'

is this telling us something?

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2008, 12:27 am

I not only have AS, but Tourette Syndrome and Dysgraphia as well, so I know for a fact that my condition is apparent to others, the real question is, do I care? not really

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 May 2008, 1:06 am

Lily_cat wrote:
I've noticed a lot of us are known as 'odd', 'weird', or 'eccentric'

is this telling us something?

Yes! That people are frightfully intolerant and limited, and driven mercilessly by the crack of the herd master's whip! :twisted:

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 2:57 am

As someone going through a process of late discovery, I have asked those few people who are closest to me what their initials thoughts were. The answers were surprisingly varied, although those I have dated were much, MUCH more inclined to agree with the similarities than those whose experience with me was more professional, and in a structured environment where I am able to utilize my nuances to the benefit of myself and my students. I've always known that I didn't process or understand things the same at the next person, and I've stuck out like a zebra amongst the herd... but I don't know whether, or to what extent, it was apparent to others.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

_BRI_
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 May 2008, 8:03 am

They say I'm weird... but being extroverted and appealing to woman puts me in a even worse situation... everyone's talks back to me... I have a recipy for disaster even thou I'm quite honest and good hearted... they say s**t about me you couldn't even imagine... I have no real friends. I don't what could happen if I move on... maybe the same thing. I'm impaired.

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2008, 8:05 am

Beenthere wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
People just think I am weird. I know this, because they usually don't hesitate to pronounce me so. :?

Same story here. :wink:

Ditto. It's especially distressing when they express it with anger and/or retaliation.

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 8:22 am

People find me stand-offish, unfriendly and abrupt.

They also think I am immature, volatile and emotional.

They would be right. (I'm not one of those quiet, fade-into-the-background Aspies - I'm the in-your-face, loud, yell-about-everything-that-pisses-me-off types.)

All my life I have been regarded as "different".

Telling people about AS would probably make very little difference to the way people see me - they already think I am weird!

And now I am aware of everything AS entails, I am beginning to understand why.