Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tekra
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2008, 9:04 pm

The Global Consciousness Project at Princeton University has now been running for ten years under the auspicies of an Ivy League institution and the supervision of well-respected and highly qualified researchers at noosphere dot princeton dot edu.

It has gathered sufficient data as to justify the statement that "The results are evidence that the physical world and our mental world of information and meaning are linked in ways that we don't yet understand."

The experiment underlying the project is very simple. A worldwide network of REGs (Random Event Generators - simple electronic devices that emit a random number every second) are connected via the Internet to computers at the university. Events that produce a coordinated change in public consciousness result in anomalous perturbation of the data, leading to one or both of two conclusions:

1. Either human consciousness is capable of directly affecting inanimate objects, or

2. Inanimate objects can respond to alterations in human consciousness.

These conclusions are similar but not identical. Can anyone suggest why and how this phenomenon occurs, and its possible implications for the AS community?

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2008, 9:11 pm

I'd like to learn more about this.

It may have something to do with how the results are interpreted too...

Do you have any links? or more info? I've often kindof wondered about that stuff myself... There is something I've heard referred to as "E-Consciousness"... have you heard of that? I wonder if it's similar?

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 9:22 pm

Yeah, there's a theory that consciousness is the most powerful force in the universe. I love stuff like this, it just shows how little we really understand.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 10:03 pm

Yea, when it comes to the world around us, we don't even seem to know jack squat. And every time we think we do, something else comes along and blows that theroy out the water.

I've been following that project for a while, and it really seems interesting. Exactly what we can do with the info is beyond me, but there could be some awesome applications for it, I do suppose.

And besides... there are all sorts of fantastical things in the planets history. And history, no matter how fictional, has a grain of truth in it. Something that we dismiss as a fantasy could very well have been reality at one point, back before we needed proof to believe.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 10:36 pm

This simply helps to prove the idea of psionics and psychics, espers, etc.

"anyone suggest why and how this phenomenon occurs"

It's all part of an all-encompasing force that binds the universe together...

"and its possible implications for the AS community?"

Probably theories that autistics are cut-off from this force, or that they can harness and effect it differently; or it's scrambled in a different format and autistics collect and focus it differently; including some frequencies but cuting off other frequencies, they are less able to do social s**t and focus on the social situation and conciously fitting in (See walking in large crowds) but are able to focus on specialized ways (like able to 'see' the numbers in coordinates, synthesia and the like where that explains why certain objects have various colors, the force emmited by said objects is a certian frequency and as such it appears like a different color on the rainbow, or it is reflecting light from this source, or it is projection of said power, or a superntural being)

something I expect the New-age people to mull over, muse and think about it first(mainstream scientists won't touch it, at least not at first :P )

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2008, 10:41 pm

Posted by Kip: "And besides... there are all sorts of fantastical things in the planets history. And history, no matter how fictional, has a grain of truth in it. Something that we dismiss as a fantasy could very well have been reality at one point, back before we needed proof to believe."

Yeah, Kip.. I've wondered if some day, for instance, if they may come across the remains of a skeleton that appears to belong to a Great Dragon... Through further investigation, they discover the remnants of a gland that apparently produces a flammable liquid that the animal would spit out from it's mouth at it's prey... thereby, killing and cooking it's dinner at the same time ;) ha... you never know... ;) I love stuff like that...

Oh, and when they discover living creatures, such as fish that have long thought to have been extinct.. Someday, they will find a living Yetti (a/k/a Abominable Snowman) and find that it is actually the living missing link?? or possibly something left over from Neanderthal days.. (maybe Aspies really aren't Neanderthals, but a whole knew evolutionary step for mankind..? with more psychic power? you never know ;) They really don't know much about the powers of the human brain and really should be doing more research on it.. People who are neurologically diverse could offer great insight into that field... (As long as it was thoroughly voluntary and they were properly paid for research, etc.. and no undue danger was put upon them, etc..)

Last edited by Felinity on 09 May 2008, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 10:43 pm

anyone have a link?

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2008, 10:46 pm

http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnvJfkI5NVc

Definitely watch the video link... I'm starting to understand it.. but want to see their data... I've been looking for a simple summary of the program, but no luck yet... s

I'm going to have to read up on this... At first, it makes me wonder HOW they go about determining the correlations... I really have to see the data...

****EDIT: After skimming this site, I'm wondering... Is there a way to describe the program and what it has discovered in a brief summary of say.. a handful of easy to understand sentences?? please? anybody? thanx...

Last edited by Felinity on 09 May 2008, 11:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 10:50 pm

google 'DNA biological internet fosar bludorf'

im going to bed :)

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2008, 11:30 pm

I think what the original theory that the program is saying they have found proof for would read something like this:

When enough people have their consciousness at least turned on, they can effect matter.

Here's another possibility that wasn't mentioned before.. What might be happening, is when people collectively think, there could be an energy transference in the form of some type of ELECTRICITY (or psychic energy if you will). When this "electricity" is in the air in large quantities (larger numbers of people's electric brainwaves going out basically) THIS in itself could effect the electric equipment that is electrically generating the "random" numbers?

The deal would be then, to figure out a way to DIRECT the consciousness to effect matter in a specific way by using this "electricity". That could actually be dangerous if in the wrong hands.. I don't know if any of you are familiar with a place called Coral Castle in South Florida.. It is one of the world's great mysteries.. The man that supposedly discovered the mysterious power that enabled him to single-handedly lift huge coral blocks that weighed tons.. always kept the power secret. The reason he decided to keep it a secret was because he said that the power of his discovery could be dangerous in the wrong hands..

Very interesting stuff though ;) Very little is known about electricity itself.. We just harness and use it, but really don't know that much about it.. I'll have to read how they determine this from their data though to really believe it... I've always known there was more, and even felt it myself... enough to KNOW it exists...

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 6:11 am

This makes perfect sense to me, I'm not surprised it's being studied. Fascinating though. It's like research from Russian scientists a few years back (can't recall who, I'm sure google would give you an answer) that showed how our thoughts can actually alter our DNA. Which lends credence to the 'power of attraction' theories... think you're ill and you'll become ill etc.

It's actually been spoken of for years in more esoteric circles... the whole 2012 thing is supposedly a great shift in our collective consciousness that will trigger a new step in our evolution (apparently).

I've also read that the so-called Akashic Records/Collective Unconscious that Jung spoke of are now sort of materialised in the internet itself...

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 6:27 am

It's generally accepted there are higher levels of consciousness than we humans are aware of. In our physical world we use our senses
to take in the information,but we don't 'see' radio waves,magnetic
forces etc.It doesn't mean these things aren't there.In the same way
there could be other things there that we haven't discovered yet.
All very interesting !

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 8:31 am

I have no use for New Age BS. There is no immaterial "mind" independent of the brain.

And no, your thoughts cannot alter your DNA, that is total BS.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 May 2008, 10:04 am

Tekra wrote:
Events that produce a coordinated change in public consciousness result in anomalous perturbation of the data, leading to one or both of two conclusions:

1. Either human consciousness is capable of directly affecting inanimate objects, or

2. Inanimate objects can respond to alterations in human consciousness.

Can anyone suggest why and how this phenomenon occurs, and its possible implications for the AS community?

Neither conclusion follows from the observations.

If the "perturbation" is simultaneous with the "change in public consciousness" there is no need to introduce cause and effect explanations, ( my italics in the quote) . The two happen simultaneously because humans are indissolubly part of the same time-space continuum as everything else, are as programmed as everything else, and thus something triggering changes in human consciousness will most likely have effects on other parts of the universe, ( in fact it would be odd if this didn't happen ).

The phenomenon is only mysterious/intriguing/portentous if you believe in free will. It is a portent/carrier of the message that human beings do not have free will. :twisted: :wink:

But I agree that it suggests that there is some invisible connection between everything; perhaps that everything in the universe was once "one", in fact still is one, and "resonates" somehow/acts with all the other parts at some quantum, ( too uncertain or complex to track as yet), level of analysis.

:study:

Last edited by ouinon on 12 May 2008, 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 May 2008, 10:27 am

The way in which I think this phenomenon may be particularly related to AS/Aspies is the way in which many AS have more diffuse/fragile/"permeable" boundaries to their "selves" , a less clear distinction between "them", and the "other"/the external world. ( this definitely applies to me). We may believe in this sort of thing more as a result.

Sensory processing disorders/differences particularly, ( 75% of AS have some degree of SPD), mean that sense of self is less based on sensory/bodily mediated, ( thus geographically restricted), information because it is not (very) reliable, and more on language/symbol mediated data/ideas/mental images/.

They feel more "mixed up with" the rest of the world, almost painfully so when exposed to large or uncontrolled amounts of it. They have less "skin". More obviously than NTs, inconveniently perhaps, AS experience themselves as part of it/one with it, often, ironically, while thinking they are cut off from it, because the NT hegemony/consensus on reality is different to theirs.

Most NTs take a certain level of reliable "impermeability" for granted and base their relationship with/ideas about the universe on this.

Whereas AS perhaps "feel" more the connections between everything, how precarious and fragile, in fact illusory, are the separations between things.

Last edited by ouinon on 11 May 2008, 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 May 2008, 11:02 am

I think that this "permeability"/sense of permanent and profound connection, may also possibly have something to do with AS tendencies to auto-immune diseases/disorders, ( compared to the general population) , and the very common AS intestinal troubles etc.

Perhaps our guts, which are like a continuation of our skin, arranged like that funny bottle which has no inside or outside, are so perforated/"leaky" that we experience ourselves less inviolably separated within a single body than NTs.

In auto-immune disease our own bodies don't know what is "us" and what is foreign bodies. We experience ourselves as interpenetrated by the world at all times, seek "protection/prosthetic "envelope" in ideas etc , but this is connected at all times to society etc in a way bodies are not necessarily.