Page 6 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 12:31 pm

Sora wrote:
That's odd. I think I should be allowed to speak freely about my weaknesses. I don't really understand why I cannot say these things.

Sora,

I determined that one should try to NEVER talk about one's weaknesses, at least not in person. If one is trying to console a person, that person may turn it around, and basically try to rip the other apart. It is like the person is a leach trying to feel good by making the other feel bad. If one isn't trying to console them, that person may STILL use it against the other.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 12:36 pm

I had that 'cocky' attitude until it got me fired..

Someone pointed out to me how I was trying to get other people to do things I was expected to (secret to American business meetings; we don't care what you think...the decision's been made, it's just easier to gather you together and tell you what you're going to do...)

I've hopefully improved...at least I still have this job...;)

SamAckary
Toucan
Toucan

17 May 2008, 2:25 pm

I dont know who Slowmutant was talking to, but I am likeable, I have a lot of friends and I don't act coky in school or anything, most people like me because i often help them with science or computers, I cant help the way you think I act, but If you are older than me then you should really try to act more AS than NT in opinion to me

Lurv
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2008, 4:16 pm

Well, yeah, calling people morons isn't a good idea unless you want to come off as arrogant or rude. Isn't that simple logic? Oh, I'm probably being pretty rude myself right now, but you're a little dumb yourself if you don't understand that.

IsThatAFact
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2008, 5:59 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:

Quote:
They practically begged me to come back!

Now that is arrogant :lol:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 6:00 pm

IsThatAFact wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
Quote:
They practically begged me to come back!

Now that is arrogant :lol:

How is that arrogant? It's the TRUTH!

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2008, 7:03 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
That spanish comment was NOT racist!! !! ! People that think it was are merely agreeing with it in racist fashion! HOW could it not be racist?

1. It is TRUE!
2. Those that speak spanish are NOT necessarily only one race. In fact, MOST ARE WHITE!

So WHY do people say it is racist? Because some are lazy and want to engender hatred and the "race card" is always a good one to "play" for that. Note those LEGITIMATE terms, and their otherwise most common meanings!(It is like they are playing a GAME of poker and BLUFFING YOU so they win, EVEN though IT IS A LIE!) They realize that many of them(FROM MEXICO) have a certain culture, and some indian blood, so they can make it SEEM like they are another race.

Under the three major classifications, and even the 4 top classifications, they would be generally considered CAUCASION!(AKA WHITE!)! Frankly, if I were king, I would split the caucasion race into at least 3 sub races(skin color, and a few other little physical characteristics nobody looks at now anyway, aren't really helping.), but that is just me.

BESIDES, what does a language have to do with race anyway!?!?!? At one point, some NON blacks learned swahili. In fact Uhura's, in star trek, name comes from Uhuru which is swahili for freedom. Granted, she is black, but the name probably came from a white researcher because, at the time, some wanted swahili to be like esperanto. I am learning hindi. Some FRENCH learned German, even though many hate the Germans. Blacks and EVEN hispanics have learned other languages. Many Americans learn spanish. So a language has nothing to do with race EITHER WAY so how could his TRUE statement be racist!?!?!?!?!?

BTW The Germans say "It appears to be Spanish to me." if something looks complicated.(German idiom translated to english.) In the US that translates as "It looks like Greek to me."(The English idiom meaning the same thing) Does that mean we can call GREEKS another race ALSO!?!?!?

Why didn't they call it racist when people referred to the Russian and German languages in the same way as they now refer to spanish? And WHY wasn't it considered racist to not hire Irish!?!?!?!? I mean the Irish come FAR closer to being another race than Spanish Speakers do! Spanish Speakers come from ALL OVER! The Irish come from only one little country. And countries have a bigger correlation to race than languages do!

Come on people, you're supposed to be mostly aspies!(My apologies to those that aren't) THINK LOGICALLY! There is no tie between spanish and race!

You're waaaay over thinking this. Even if it was technically ambigous, it's intent was obviously a shot at mexicans. If you can't fill in the blanks there, you're being naive. No one is playing a card simply by disliking comments like that. Also...
1) Race only exists as a social construct of commonly accepted definitions, and by those definitions hispanic is a category of race, and no they are not commonly defined as being the same as caucasian even if many are mostly decended from Europeans.

2) I realize that language has more to do with ethnicity and culture, so if you're going to be tricky about what defines racism, fine. It's biggoted, which in my mind is the same kind of ignorance. I don't view race as anything other than a social construct, so any kind of biggotry is exactly the same to me. The Irish did experience that kind of biggotry, and I would be just as defensive of them.

3) I also realized that this was most likely just a failed attempt at a funny, rather than a serious expression of white supremacy. Mabe I should have word myself better, but I don't withdraw my warning. He needs to realize that if he is seroius about becoming a businessman, he needs to avoid cheap highschool humor of this kind if he wants people to take him seriously. Just because his friends and family know that he is just joking around when he comments like this, doesn't mean someone else won't interpret it the wrong way.

nomnom_hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2008, 12:20 am

SotiCoto wrote:
nomnom_hamster wrote:
You're arrogant.

You don't say? :roll:

Quote:
But be sure not to complain about that you sniveling wuss. :D Yes, its one L. And "competence". On my computer, this website checks spelling errors. I don't see why you can't use it.

Less a matter of can't, and more a matter of "not bothered".
Being surrounded by people who can't even spell "you" for most of my life, my own standards have slipped a bit, I admit.

Quote:
Btw...nobody would be complaining about it...there would probably be a lot more ass-kicking though, if you did it to their faces. And you probably would lose membership to some sites if you did that repeatedly. I'm not sure if you know this, but many forums for the same topic all keep track of each other, and specifically each others' "three-month members".

The funny thing is... most of the sites have been topically disconnected.
But anyhow... "ass-kicking" as you put it. Not something that is ever likely to arise, though I've had many of those sorts of threats... The sort of "I'd caveman you into next week if I saw you in person"... to which my usual response is: "I'd be prepared".

Quote:
And then there's the "....easy for an Aspergian to end up surrounded by mewling idiots who are incapable of baring witness to their own inferiority due to an overriding stupidity and egotistical natures of their very own...". If it were true, that would mean that we hold a responsibility to these people. And it would be much easier to gain their respect and trust if you went that way. Which would give you a legitimate reason to be arrogant. :roll:

A responsibility to put them out of their and our misery?
That I would be inclined to agree to. Their stupidity causes suffering in themselves and others, and they would be better off dead. That is, however, not an option. The most I can do is merely correct them when I see them.... until such time as one of them learns how to counter-argue properly.
Besides... what would I want their respect for? Being respected by stupid people would just make me feel dirty.

roflmao

points taken, but you don't have to sound like a jerk when you're being arrogant.

And I didn't mean kill them....I'm sure it could be worked out that they be serfs on some bit of land or something.

And that first line was sarcasm :wink:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 5:29 am

Pithlet wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
That spanish comment was NOT racist!! !! ! People that think it was are merely agreeing with it in racist fashion! HOW could it not be racist?

1. It is TRUE!
2. Those that speak spanish are NOT necessarily only one race. In fact, MOST ARE WHITE!

So WHY do people say it is racist? Because some are lazy and want to engender hatred and the "race card" is always a good one to "play" for that. Note those LEGITIMATE terms, and their otherwise most common meanings!(It is like they are playing a GAME of poker and BLUFFING YOU so they win, EVEN though IT IS A LIE!) They realize that many of them(FROM MEXICO) have a certain culture, and some indian blood, so they can make it SEEM like they are another race.

Under the three major classifications, and even the 4 top classifications, they would be generally considered CAUCASION!(AKA WHITE!)! Frankly, if I were king, I would split the caucasion race into at least 3 sub races(skin color, and a few other little physical characteristics nobody looks at now anyway, aren't really helping.), but that is just me.

BESIDES, what does a language have to do with race anyway!?!?!? At one point, some NON blacks learned swahili. In fact Uhura's, in star trek, name comes from Uhuru which is swahili for freedom. Granted, she is black, but the name probably came from a white researcher because, at the time, some wanted swahili to be like esperanto. I am learning hindi. Some FRENCH learned German, even though many hate the Germans. Blacks and EVEN hispanics have learned other languages. Many Americans learn spanish. So a language has nothing to do with race EITHER WAY so how could his TRUE statement be racist!?!?!?!?!?

BTW The Germans say "It appears to be Spanish to me." if something looks complicated.(German idiom translated to english.) In the US that translates as "It looks like Greek to me."(The English idiom meaning the same thing) Does that mean we can call GREEKS another race ALSO!?!?!?

Why didn't they call it racist when people referred to the Russian and German languages in the same way as they now refer to spanish? And WHY wasn't it considered racist to not hire Irish!?!?!?!? I mean the Irish come FAR closer to being another race than Spanish Speakers do! Spanish Speakers come from ALL OVER! The Irish come from only one little country. And countries have a bigger correlation to race than languages do!

Come on people, you're supposed to be mostly aspies!(My apologies to those that aren't) THINK LOGICALLY! There is no tie between spanish and race!

You're waaaay over thinking this. Even if it was technically ambigous, it's intent was obviously a shot at mexicans. If you can't fill in the blanks there, you're being naive. No one is playing a card simply by disliking comments like that. Also...
1) Race only exists as a social construct of commonly accepted definitions, and by those definitions hispanic is a category of race, and no they are not commonly defined as being the same as caucasian even if many are mostly decended from Europeans.

2) I realize that language has more to do with ethnicity and culture, so if you're going to be tricky about what defines racism, fine. It's biggoted, which in my mind is the same kind of ignorance. I don't view race as anything other than a social construct, so any kind of biggotry is exactly the same to me. The Irish did experience that kind of biggotry, and I would be just as defensive of them.

3) I also realized that this was most likely just a failed attempt at a funny, rather than a serious expression of white supremacy. Mabe I should have word myself better, but I don't withdraw my warning. He needs to realize that if he is seroius about becoming a businessman, he needs to avoid cheap highschool humor of this kind if he wants people to take him seriously. Just because his friends and family know that he is just joking around when he comments like this, doesn't mean someone else won't interpret it the wrong way.

TRICKY!?!?!? IT'S THE TRUTH! Race has ALREADY APPEARED to have been watered down to some basic appearance. Do you REALLY want to water it down to NOTHING!?!?!? FINE! You are a RACIST because you are arguing with me, and accusing others!

The fact is that race is, and always has been, RACE! And hispanics are often considered white. EVEN if you want to look at other heritages, THEY have not had the same treatment because they generally weren't as lazy.

One more thing. Most arguments against hispanics have NOTHING to do with their people. HECK, I found out one person was hispanic YEARS later, and had MORE respect for her because she did so well at speaking both languages, etc.... As for most being mexicans? Well is it OUR fault that THEY are the ones finding it easiest to get here? The hatred extends to WHATEVER lazy hispanics get here, REGARDLESS of origin. ANd I am NOT saying hispanics, I am saying LAZY hispanics.

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2008, 5:38 am

Pithlet wrote:
Personal flaws are subjective.

A fairly obvious statement, though I expect my ways would help others more than they might like to admit.

Quote:
I, for example, see plenty in you even though you seem to consider yourself a superior species. Do you really find all your little ad hominums to be useful in solving problems, or do they seem to create more for you?

Ad hominems? Me?
Care to point some out to me? I'm sure I could demonstrate you to be wrong on at least some counts.

Quote:
The content of your posts make me suspicous that you only act this way because you have a sadistic personality, not because of superior intellect. Intelligence alone doesn't give a person such venomous hatered. Your posts are almost like reading straight from the Mien Kampf. I suppose you would find some way to be proud of that as well.

Careful. You're bordering on triggering Godwin's Law there.
And incidentally, do you think I should care? Yes, I'm somewhat of a sadist, but mostly I'm just indifferent to the notion of "consequence". All things are much the same really, so all choices are arbitrary at best.

Quote:
Also, just because someone's opinion is different, or even if they lack knowlege that you possesss, that doesn't mean their "hardwiring" is inferior. I don't care what biology classes you've taken, it's time for you to take some sociology.

Did I say that differences in opinion are what matters? I believe you'll find I didn't. Pay more attention. Lack of independance of thought and effective emotional control are what make them inferior.

Phssthpok wrote:
I've never been offended by what other individuals say or think since it rarely affects me. If someone is a creationist on a personal level I don't get anything out of engaging them on that topic. If I'm dealing with someone who is slow to understand something I'm not condescending.

Good to know you don't get offended by such things.
But apparently you're rather more tolerant of mental failings than I am. Years of putting up with people failing to get the obvious while expecting me to automatically understand the absurdly irrational has somewhat taken a toll on how long I will put up with such behaviour for.
Creationists tend to be a prime target, and my condemnation of them has become more habitual than anything... Getting rid of the creationists in my vicinity has become along the lines of doing the hoovering. I just don't have to think about it any more.

slowmutant wrote:
If your classmates bully you, they have a very good reason. I hope you can learn to be humble, with or without the beatings.

Far be it from my place to point this out... but seeing such a socially taboo comment as that coming from you brings me some level of amusement.

For the record though: No, they don't have a good reason for bullying him. Their instinct is simply driving them to treat him in a physically aggressive manner as a response to the subconscious notion that he has what they deserve. He has no reason to be humble since, as far as I can tell, he is genuinely mentally superior to them. Their egos don't need further stroking.

slowmutant wrote:
Fair enough, I might one confused with the other. But they're both arrogant and they both erupt with ad hominems like it's diarhhea.

Reference earlier comment in this post.
And do at least apply some effort to be less wrong. It doesn't do you any favours.
I could treat you FAR worse than I do. Gathering the evidence of your hypocrisy together in one place would be a start.... but I'm not going to do that... yet.

nomnom_hamster wrote:
roflmao

points taken, but you don't have to sound like a jerk when you're being arrogant.

And I didn't mean kill them....I'm sure it could be worked out that they be serfs on some bit of land or something.

And that first line was sarcasm :wink:

Don't have to?
It takes a lot more effort not to.... for no visible difference in results.
I can't be bothered really.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 3:36 pm

pezar wrote:
http://www.youngentrepreneur.com/forum/f2-general-business/reality-check-the-cost-of-starting-a-business-32013.html

I am "byzantium" on that forum. This isn't the first time that I've been called super arrogant. For some reason, just talking to people "normally" (for me) will suddenly cause them to say "you're so f'n arrogant, don't you dare talk to me like that a**hole!" and I'm left to wonder what I did.

I thought the people on that board were pretty clear in their responses about why they thought you were arrogant.

1) "For all you morons who think that you can start a business with $8 for your domain name, and then make millions, this is for you."

By using the "you", you make it seem as though you are calling the readers "morons", even though you added the qualifier of "who think you can start a business..."

For the record, "you morons" is not a good line to include in a post if you don't want to come off as arrogant. It probably would have been less offensive to say, "for all those morons", although avoiding insults altogether is a better idea.

2) "If you're not sure you're gonna get rich, you need to either change your business plan or go flip burgers for the rest of your life, and use your credit to pay for Spanish classes so you can talk with your co-workers."

You're basically saying that the fast food industry is full of Spanish-speakers (whether that's true or not is immaterial), and the implication is that this is the career path of the losers who weren't able to achieve what you are achieving. You give the appearance of assuming that when English-speaking (presumably non-Hispanic American) business people fail, they are put the same level as Spanish-speakers. Or in other words, Spanish-speakers are on the level of white failures. That may not have been your intent, but it's hard not to read negative implications into your comments.

As a general rule, when possible, avoid associating negative comments with members of a particular minority when not strictly germane to the subject at hand.

NOTE: This post was an attempt to explain to you the effect that your words may have produced in your readers, and which possibly may have led to the impression that you are an "arrogant jerk." I do not believe it was your intent to imply these things or make this impression, but I'm just trying to give you a bit of insight into how ill-chosen words may be interpreted.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2008, 2:04 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
Pithlet wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

1. It is TRUE!

TRICKY!?!?!? IT'S THE TRUTH! Race has ALREADY APPEARED to have been watered down to some basic appearance. Do you REALLY want to water it down to NOTHING!?!?!? FINE! You are a RACIST because you are arguing with me, and accusing others!

The fact is that race is, and always has been, RACE! And hispanics are often considered white. EVEN if you want to look at other heritages, THEY have not had the same treatment because they generally weren't as lazy.

One more thing. Most arguments against hispanics have NOTHING to do with their people. HECK, I found out one person was hispanic YEARS later, and had MORE respect for her because she did so well at speaking both languages, etc.... As for most being mexicans? Well is it OUR fault that THEY are the ones finding it easiest to get here? The hatred extends to WHATEVER lazy hispanics get here, REGARDLESS of origin. ANd I am NOT saying hispanics, I am saying LAZY hispanics.

What??? I'm having a hard time understanding the point(s) you are trying to make here.

Most would disagree with you on whether or not hispanics are commonly thought of as white.

Yes I would like to water race down to nothing. It's application is highly ambiguous and unscientific. That doesn't mean I don't recognise biggotry (or inappropriate joking) towards specific groups when I see them.

"Generally weren't as lazy"?? Have you ever been to construction site? If your'e going to condone or make your own generalizations about hispanics in the workforce, at least aknowlege that for the most part they work a$$es off. Most people that have worked in a trade of some kind know full well that the lazy hispanic stereotype is so erroneous, it's laughable. I know you didn't say all hispanics, but you still implied something.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2008, 2:41 am

Soticoto

I wasn't refering to you using ad hominums on anyone here, but the mockeries of other people for their ignorance that you boast about doing so often. Also your fervent advocation of using them made me assume you frequently used them.

Godwin's Law need not apply here. Obvious exceptions can be made for those who talk about themselves and others similar to them like they are a superior species (master race), and death being the most desirable solution for the inferior (degenerate) ones. See, no hyperbole or fallacious comparisons here. When it can apply, it warns people of the dangerous path certain attitudes can lead if taken to heart. But I am relieved you admitted the death part not being an option. Hopefully people who think like you will stay in the minority so it will remain that way. I bet it's convenient for a self proclaimed sadist to call choices "arbitrary a best".

"Independence of thought." What, people who think exactly like you do? "Effective emotional control." Hmm. You kind of strike me as a very angy, intolerant person. What kind of emotional control are you referring to?

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 2:58 am

I've been called arrogant only after someone found out I had aspergers.

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2008, 3:20 am

Pithlet wrote:
Soticoto

I wasn't refering to you using ad hominums on anyone here, but the mockeries of other people for their ignorance that you boast about doing so often. Also your fervent advocation of using them made me assume you frequently used them.

Lemme put it this way: Someone ad hominems me, I will ad hominem them back.... not in any seriousness, but simply out of the amusement of the turn of the argument. I argue for fun more than for any sort of meaningful resolution. As such, more often than not, just about any oppurtunity I can get to throw word-play around in a context where nobody would usually suspect it, I will take. I've found most people I deal with seem to take just about anything in an argument as a personal insult, and I can't honestly say what makes them do that. I attribute it to simply being switched to a less rational and more rhetorical mental level.

Quote:
Godwin's Law need not apply here. Obvious exceptions can be made for those who talk about themselves and others similar to them like they are a superior species (master race), and death being the most desirable solution for the inferior (degenerate) ones. See, no hyperbole or fallacious comparisons here. When it can apply, it warns people of the dangerous path certain attitudes can lead if taken to heart. But I am relieved you admitted the death part not being an option. Hopefully people who think like you will stay in the minority so it will remain that way. I bet it's convenient for a self proclaimed sadist to call choices "arbitrary a best".

If you think you have awkwardness explaining yourself, how do you suppose I go about explaining that whether I have a go at someone or not is basically decided by a mentally simulated coin-toss? All outcomes are much the same in the end, so it matters less what I do and more that I just do something.
The way I see it... everyone else is focussed on unreachable goals and will charge futiley toward them their whole lives, never knowing the entropic way until it finds them first. I do things differently. I am a different person and I always have been. What upgrades that to "superior" is simply personal bias. Why wouldn't I be biased in my own favour? It wouldn't even give me any personal satisfaction to be biased in anyone else's favour, would it?

Quote:
"Independence of thought." What, people who think exactly like you do? "Effective emotional control." Hmm. You kind of strike me as a very angy, intolerant person. What kind of emotional control are you referring to?

Well that is just because you don't know any better, silly. ^_^
I am fully capable of seeming entirely hysterical on the outside, and yet calmly and rather blankly counting coloured beads on the inside. I can voluntarily switch "emotions" on and off where I see fit.... and sometimes will do it just for entertainment... but generally I keep them switched off.
Besides... would the medium of text be so Asperger-friendly if there was a standardised and detailed way of channelling non-verbal communication through it? Hmm?

Anyhow... not every unemotional individual is like a Vulcan on the outside.
Funny thing is... I still can't directly lie with words. I can give misleading non-verbal expressions, and to some extent I can twist the truth around to suit my needs... but I cannot actually say something which I believe to be false with the intent to deceive. I'm working on that.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2008, 4:30 am

Someone on Oprah.com said the aspies she met here were all arrogant!

I'm more sick of someone taking something I said/wrote and reading far more into it than what I actually said. It's VERY annoying.