please - I need some feedback on this subject -

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

5thelement
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2008, 3:14 pm

hello everyone,

I would really appreciate any feedback on the topic of being very aware / thoughtful at a very young age. My first clear memories are from the age of two and three when I first remember being very curious and analytical about peoples behaviour - like some little alien sent down to study humans but in a baby/toddlers body. I have not met anyone who remembers that far back - people are surprised, almost incredulous when I describe my memories and thoughts - please - is there anyone else this applies to? Or anyone familiar with this? it's a subject that keeps 'bothering' me - I'd love to know I'm not the only one - it would be great to discuss it and compare notes ,

in hope,

'5th'

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 3:54 pm

I remember back when I was about 1 year old, still in a crib in my parents room. It's not all that unusual.

5thelement

31 May 2008, 4:20 pm

thanks Mage - that's a start - hoorah!

you say 'it's not that unusual' - is this info from people you have talked to or any research on the subject?

My main point I suppose is - can you remember having quite complex thoughts at that age? or is it just a general memory of how things looked / felt or smelled?

ta,

'5th'

rekoil
Raven
Raven

31 May 2008, 4:52 pm

I have vivid memories of mature thought processes from when I was three years old. My mother said something about cats always landing on their feet. I decided that that was impossible and devised an experiment. All three of our cats landed on their feet. I couldn't understand why my mom was so upset, she was right.

5thelement

31 May 2008, 5:12 pm

yes, rekoil - that sort of thing - :) thanks

I don't think I phrased my original post too well - it's the complexity that interests me and the 'little scientist/ anthropologist/psychologist aspect' - i.e. I remember really seriously analysing a 'funny' look on my fathers face when i was two going on three - he had been repremanded for swimming in the wrong lane at a public swimming pool - subsequently I saw him a completely different light - he appeared to have a 'hang up' I hadn't fully noticed and I really thought long and hard about how this 'hang up' had come about - I know i had the basic vocabulary to ask him about it but sensed/feared this might make him really livid.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 5:37 pm

Yes, I can remember very far back. I have memories(with thought) from age two and up. I suspect that this is because that is when I started reading. I have picture-esque memories from my birth(I have asked)and then there is a huge gap in my memory until the age of 2. From there I have every year until 6, and I have 7-now. I also used to experiment. I got most of my ideas from books. I felt really bad about that snail....

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 5:46 pm

I can remeber back to 22 months old. I confirmed it with my mother by describing the room we were in while she was nursing my new brother. There was also a game I played that she confirmed.

The type of memory I think you are looking for is like when my grandfather gave me ice cream and my mother got pissed, saying it was just before dinner and I would spoil my appetite. Grandpa justitifed his action saying it wouldn't and would be alright.
I realized at that point that Mom did what Grandpa said and I could manipulate Grandpa to get what I wanted.

That kind of memory?

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2008, 6:03 pm

I can rember as far back as 18 months. some have thoughts and all senses others just senses. Examples:

1) Cot, imaginig ghosts in a wedding parades bringing me milk while shouting out "Mum i want milk" (but i coudn't talk so it would be garble). I was thinking "i'm so thirsty". 18 months.

2)In a cat shelter seeing cats. i was in pram. no thoughts just analsing each cat. 18 months.

3)5:00pm walk with family. me in pram. i was looking at the lights thinking "i'll rember this so that i can see if i can rember it" (it worked). 18 months.

4) Xmas mum gone to work crying caus i missed her in house, not very good day. date is 2/12/1996 . 2 years old

5) crying at nursery mom going don't want her to leave. 1 year old.

6) chicken poks remeber getting ointment, and going to nuresery once cured to get brownies. 20 months

5thelement

31 May 2008, 6:11 pm

sufi - not really the way things looked or what one was doing , but yes indeed to the sussing things out early memories.

black cat - yep, that's it - and in real detail - like winding back a film ( with a running commentary) and watching it. Interesting connection to reading there - maybe I could ask you about that another time? - am heading for my bed now and feeling drowsy - in a good happy sleepy way :)

cheers to all - thanks !

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 8:41 pm

3 years old (early '61). I'd climbed up on top of the counter next to the stove, to get at the Sugar Pops on the top shelf (Mom probably put them up there so I couldn't reach them...;) grabbed, missed, box hit the floor and 'exploded'. Woke up my baby brother, Mom caught me...;)

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 8:53 pm

This is interesting. I don't remember anything before the age of 4, and I gather most people don't start remembering things (autobiographical memory) until age 3-5. It's brain development. So I'm surprised to read all these earlier examples.

But here's an example you might like: a boy called "Adam" in the book Nature's Gambit who could not only remember from birth but who could also remember what it was like in the womb. Can anyone beat that one? 8)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:07 pm

Anemone wrote:
This is interesting. I don't remember anything before the age of 4, and I gather most people don't start remembering things (autobiographical memory) until age 3-5. It's brain development. So I'm surprised to read all these earlier examples.

But here's an example you might like: a boy called "Adam" in the book Nature's Gambit who could not only remember from birth but who could also remember what it was like in the womb. Can anyone beat that one? 8)

How could you remember from BEFORE the womb!? :lol: 8O

As for me, I DO remember times in the crib, etc...(NOT from the womb) My best memories ARE after 1 or so though. As for actual dates? I tend to remember things based on my perception, and relation to other events, etc...

As for the quality, it depends on the circumstance and is not as good as it was. I guess if my memory was as good as it appears some here indicate their's is, I would speak 10 languages perfectly, and have 2 doctorates with honors. So I must be reading too much into that.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:16 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:

It actually says "in the womb."

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:41 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

It actually says "in the womb."

Anemone wrote:

So Anemone was effectively asking if someone could remember BEFORE the womb!

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:47 pm

Relatively clearly, if intermittent, from age 3 onwards.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2008, 2:46 am

Anemone wrote:

Not all people are the same and who ever came up with you can only remeber starting when your 3-5. could be wrong.

I think somebody wrote on the web: "Most people don't remember things that early because, to have conscious memory, you need words. Words reinforce memories."

I think most of my memorysfrom an early age are me thinking in my head, somebody else talking or me talking.