Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2008, 10:25 am

I don't understand.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 10:39 am

Based on what I observed in myself and others, it is an extreme reaction to stress that includes a reduction of the ability to do things like talk. With ME, it is relatively mild. I find it harder to do certain things, may stumble over words, etc... I just want to retreat.

Some may be kind of like me, and just also show a lot of emotion.

Others may act out. Throw things, etc...

I think what I have is the basis for what everyone else has, and is the common part of all three. The effects can range(For some others, as I am at neither extreme) from catatonic stupor to extreme boistrous violence(Usually NOT with people, so I can make that clear).

I probably appear on the mid to low end of normal when I have a meltdown, and may ramble and rant about the trigger. Normally(when I don't have a meltdown), I am at perhaps mid high end of normal, and quiet. I wouldn't even call it a meltdown if not for the fact that it sounds SO similar to a common cluster of meltdown symptoms, and I know what I am thinking/feeling. Everyone else hasn't a CLUE! Besides, it fits SO much better than the old term of "nervous breakdown" I used to use.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 May 2008, 10:39 am

I think it's a little different for everybody. For me, when I reach the breaking point, I have a meltdown. By that I mean that I scream, shriek, go on and on forever, yelling things like "Get away from me." Also I'd like to hide but that doesn't work. Also, aside from yelling, I can't communicate, can't say words.

I guess that for me, a meltdown is a state of being berserk.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 10:47 am

That is one of the most frequently asked questions on this site. Here are a few threads with answers:

What exactly is a "Meltdown"?
Describe a Meltdown
What is a "meltdown"?
Terminology question, please: What is a "meltdown"

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2008, 11:13 am

Thanks for the links. Does anyone have anything to say about recognizing when you are having a meltdown?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 12:16 pm

the operation of a reactor requires sufficient coolant to sustain the reaction and provide steam for the generators.

Should the amount of coolant fall too low, exposing the rods, the temperature will climb to such a degree that the containment walls will melt, exposing the area to high heat and hard radiation....see Chernobyl...;)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 1:10 pm

pakled wrote:
the operation of a reactor requires sufficient coolant to sustain the reaction and provide steam for the generators.

Should the amount of coolant fall too low, exposing the rods, the temperature will climb to such a degree that the containment walls will melt, exposing the area to high heat and hard radiation....see Chernobyl...;)

Perfectly quantified. Thank you pakled.

I've written a lot about meltdowns. In any case, WHY can't diagnosticians find a better term than 'meltdown?'
To me, the word meltdown sounds like a sandwich, like a tunamelt. Or when the wicked witch from the Wizard of OZ is melting from water splashed on her - she's screaming, "I'm melting!"

Meltdowns are a living nightmare. But the word, as viewed by many laypersons, just isn't taken seriously. Plus, the colloquial term 'meltdown,' does not fit an autistic meltdown, which is disengenious to our dilemma.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 9:58 pm

For the few times I have suffered a meltdown...

It's like having so much fear and anger flooding my brain, that my logical thinking processes get overwhelmed. I could either lash out or do very stupid things in such a state. Usually ends with being distraught and having a migraine.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

delia43
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2008, 10:55 pm

You should really check out the other links, they are very helpful.

For me personally, when I have a meltdown it feels like my brain (and, to a lesser extent body) are screaming, even though I'm not making any noise. My whole body starts to feel very tight, and time sort of disappears. It is not like a panic attack, but that's the closest equivelent I can think of.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 1:45 am

Well when I have them I total shut down and cry. And I have gone more mute.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 4:30 am

When I explode and start hitting things...

I don't attack people though- I NEVER attack people. I just kick walls, or punch objects that are around me. Well, I do YELL at people- REALLY loud- but I never physically attack a person.

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 6:34 am

Overload then meltdown. Sounds like we're machines.

Well, that's how it starts. An overload of stress. Then things just fall apart. Screaming, rocking, crying, biting, not wanting to be touched AT ALL.

That's my usual weekly meltdown.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 7:09 am

Kezzstar wrote:
Overload then meltdown. Sounds like we're machines.

In a way, all animals/people are. We don't know who made us, we SEEM to have "free will", and a mechanism to repair ourselves, but the basic mechanism is much like a robot, etc... Although the idea of procreation is kind of neat/unique. HECK, osteoporosis is a kind of rust, and cartilage problems are like running out of oil.

tbam
Raven
Raven

19 May 2008, 5:58 pm

I hit things and get very loud, violent and completely lose control. Crying at the same time.
My wife says I scare her when I get like that.

Sometimes when I'm having a meltdown, I will corner her in a room and just shout at her and not let her leave. Then she'll say I'm scaring her, and I'll then shout in a condescending way "I'm not going to *%#@$!* hurt you".

Afterwards, I usually feel terrible about myself that I went that far. But every time things become too much, its straight back in that zone.