Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Orwell has no soul
True 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
False 36%  36%  [ 12 ]
He sold it to the devil 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
He can have mine; I'm not using it 27%  27%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 33

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,518
Location: Room 101

19 May 2008, 11:05 pm

My classmates in high school have reached the conclusion that I do not have a soul. This is mainly on the basis that I don't seem to show (or experience) a significant degree of empathy towards other people, and can be rather callous at times. I also have a low, deep, monotone voice which doesn't betray emotion. We played the game "Moods" where you have to speak a phrase in a particular tone and others guess what tone you're speaking in. I failed miserably because my voice is so monotone.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 6 Apr 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 383

19 May 2008, 11:07 pm

Yeah, my classmates in high school said I was the reincarnation of Elvis. I wouldn't read too much into it if I were you.


_________________
"Was that the bad thing?"
"Floss is boss. Floss is boss! FLOSS IS BOSS!! !"


Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,518
Location: Room 101

19 May 2008, 11:10 pm

burnse22 wrote:
Yeah, my classmates in high school said I was the reincarnation of Elvis. I wouldn't read too much into it if I were you.

I lack the capacity to care very much what my classmates think of me. Which is perhaps another contributing factor to their conclusion. It was simply an interesting (and nearly universal) observation that I thought I would share here.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 6 Apr 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 383

19 May 2008, 11:17 pm

I mean that they probably aren't being entirely serious. It sounds like they're just lightly teasing you. If you want to have a soul you can have a soul.


_________________
"Was that the bad thing?"
"Floss is boss. Floss is boss! FLOSS IS BOSS!! !"


Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,518
Location: Room 101

19 May 2008, 11:22 pm

burnse22 wrote:
I mean that they probably aren't being entirely serious. It sounds like they're just lightly teasing you. If you want to have a soul you can have a soul.

Oh, I know (well, at least the first two sentences :wink:). I find it just as funny as they do.

BTW, thanks to whoever said I could have their soul. I appreciate the offer. And maybe I could sell it to the devil, since mine's already gone that way according to someone else... :twisted: :lol:


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 6 Apr 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 383

19 May 2008, 11:26 pm

Okey-dokey, I got completely the wrong impression, sorry about that.


_________________
"Was that the bad thing?"
"Floss is boss. Floss is boss! FLOSS IS BOSS!! !"


Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,060
Location: Edmonton

19 May 2008, 11:36 pm

Do you mean you don't have a soul, or you don't have Soul? You do have a soul (everyone does), but it's possible you are lacking in the Soul department.

Perhaps you lack theory of soul? Music lessons. Imperative. You probably need to learn to dance, too. Then you'll be ok. Well, maybe. (joking)



Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,518
Location: Room 101

19 May 2008, 11:52 pm

Anemone wrote:
Do you mean you don't have a soul, or you don't have Soul? You do have a soul (everyone does), but it's possible you are lacking in the Soul department.

We weren't in any theological or spiritual debate, if that's what you were wondering. I just seemed to lack normal human emotions and empathy, which, for purposes of this description at school, indicated that I had no soul, whatever was meant by that.

Anemone wrote:
Perhaps you lack theory of soul? Music lessons. Imperative. You probably need to learn to dance, too. Then you'll be ok. Well, maybe. (joking)

I'm taking music lessons. Dance? Far too uncoordinated.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


krex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,471
Location: Village of the Damned

19 May 2008, 11:58 pm

Considering many of the people who claim to have a soul are also cabable of starting wars and bullying more vulnerable people or worhsipping money with those souls..... you may be better off with out one. The n your good actions will be motivated by logic and not fear of losing something you don't have?


_________________
Just because one plane is flying out of formation, doesn't mean the formation is on course....R.D.Lang

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/


bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 437

20 May 2008, 2:35 am

You and me could form a god-damned club! We coulod devour the hearts of babies etc...



Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,093
Location: Siena, Italy

20 May 2008, 2:40 am

Orwell wrote:
I also have a low, deep, monotone voice which doesn't betray emotion. We played the game "Moods" where you have to speak a phrase in a particular tone and others guess what tone you're speaking in. I failed miserably because my voice is so monotone.


Practice helps in this field, things can get better, my current job (answering phone calls), for example, is helping me developing a more varied tone of voice.

The psychiatrist who gave me antidepressants said that the activity I could benefit more from would be taking theatre lessons. I'm SURE he is right, for the time being the idea still sounds uncomfortable (anxiety), but maybe one day I'll give it a try, I'm sure it would be fun, once the fear is gone away :wink:

Edit: of course the answer to the poll is FALSE


_________________
"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you...stranger" (Joker)


matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,152

20 May 2008, 2:45 am

Orwell wrote:
My classmates in high school have reached the conclusion that I do not have a soul. This is mainly on the basis that I don't seem to show (or experience) a significant degree of empathy towards other people, and can be rather callous at times. I also have a low, deep, monotone voice which doesn't betray emotion. We played the game "Moods" where you have to speak a phrase in a particular tone and others guess what tone you're speaking in. I failed miserably because my voice is so monotone.


they are just looking for you to express it non verbally, I think what they are saying pretty ignorant.



Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jun 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,718
Location: New Zealand

20 May 2008, 3:15 am

Orwell wrote:
My classmates in high school have reached the conclusion that I do not have a soul. This is mainly on the basis that I don't seem to show (or experience) a significant degree of empathy towards other people, and can be rather callous at times. I also have a low, deep, monotone voice which doesn't betray emotion. We played the game "Moods" where you have to speak a phrase in a particular tone and others guess what tone you're speaking in. I failed miserably because my voice is so monotone.


While I don't entirely believe in the prospect of having a soul, I think it's really immature that your classmates would say something like that.

RE: The Mood game.
I had to play something like that at my vocational skills course, except it wasn't with tone of voice but with facial expressions and body language. Not only did I fail, but I had the whole class laughing at me.
It shows their level of maturity for sure, which is barely above a point 0 on a scale from 1-10.


_________________
I = Vegan!
Animals = Friends.


johnpipe108
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Age: 75
Gender: Male
Posts: 227
Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA

20 May 2008, 3:44 am

Orwell wrote:
We weren't in any theological or spiritual debate, if that's what you were wondering. I just seemed to lack normal human emotions and empathy, which, for purposes of this description at school, indicated that I had no soul, whatever was meant by that.


We have emotions and empathy that are normal for us; I would have been perceived by my classmates at that age in some similar way, but I can't recall any of them caring enough to say something; or maybe it was because we were a little more polite in general during the 1950's.

I get the idea from what you say, that what they meant was basically "you're a little different from us, and it bugs us a bit".

I seem to have a dim recall of this being used as a not-uncommon expression before, long ago.

But, Vive la Difference! We are not a cookie-cutter world, but life is difficult socially for teens, and teens, especially today, don't seem to be encouraged to "be individuals" as much as we were. Young people today seem to be more concerned about being the same, than appreciating variety and individuality than we did.

Sort of the herd instinct, and probably the overall environment and perceived uncertainty of the times influences this kind of feeling. I've always been a little puzzled by this phenomenon myself, and the varied ways it manifests, even in how kids dress. There's always been this to a degree, but I feel it's a lot more intense today.

But, "Nil Illigitimatus Carborundum" (don't let the b______s wear you down" :wink"

And yes, my Latin grammar is probably not correct; I un-elected Latin in HS.


_________________
He who sees all beings in the Self, and the Self in all beings, hates none -- Isha Upanishad

Bom Shankar Bholenath! I do not "have a syndrome", nor do I "have a disorder," I am a "Natural Born Scholar!"


Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 9 Apr 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 492

20 May 2008, 7:02 am

High school kids say things that are stupid and make no sense. You're putting too much stock in what a bunch of teenage kids probably with limited imaginations said off the top of their head. I'm in high school and I get this sort of thing all the time, they jsut say it for their own selfish reasons.


_________________
"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."--Augusten Burroughs