Page 19 of 22 [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,295
Location: OK let's go.

07 Dec 2011, 4:53 am

Tonight I just got asked to prove I am 47. They thought I was 35 at most. I got the special price for over 45...



alana00
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 9 Oct 2011
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 7

07 Dec 2011, 5:32 am

shrox wrote:
Tonight I just got asked to prove I am 47. They thought I was 35 at most. I got the special price for over 45...


You dont look any where near 40 25 at most (looking at your profile piccy)



Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Dec 2011
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 581

07 Dec 2011, 5:36 am

I'm always told I look much younger than my age. The asperger specialist who diagnosed me said this is very common in aspies



lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 4 Dec 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 333

07 Dec 2011, 10:21 am

I look younger because of my small build. I guess even my coordination and bodily movements are childish which add to it. nobody believes me when I say I am 26. Most say I don't look older than 18.



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,175
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

People thought I looked older than my physical age when I was a kid & teen because I hit puberty earlier than my peers. People asked me what high-school I was in when I was in Jr high. People who didn't know me or my age thought I was retorted after a bit because I behaved like I was a lot younger than I looked


_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people, Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat: we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,023
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

07 Dec 2011, 1:08 pm

Brittany2907 wrote:
_BRI_ wrote:
We look younger physically, why is that?


It could be due to a few things....

-Life style. (aspies are less likely to go to parties, drink, do drugs, trash their bodies etc)
-Physically aging slower.
-Not wearing the latest clothing. (wearing what's comfortable may seem child-like to some)
-Not acting "socially appropriate". (as younger kids often don't)


But in all honesty, I really have no idea why. Those are just theories.


I am less likely to do go to parties........but I've done the other things, and I still look younger.

The others might explain it.


_________________
Lucy in the sky with Diamonds.


Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 473
Location: Salem, CT

07 Dec 2011, 1:12 pm

The lack of facial expressions has been cited here as a reason, and it's dead-on.

Facial lines and frown marks form in most people relatively early in life, as a result of repeated facial expressions. You can even see them on teenagers sometimes. But given my poker face and wooden countenance, I don't have even the slightest hint of them at 30, and doubt I ever will.

The other thing is, staying out of the sun. Needless to say many of us don't get out of the house much. For me it's been a deliberate avoidance of sun exposure (which accounts for 70% of visible skin aging) that I have been practicing since I was in my mid-teens.

*********************************************************************************

Check out "Problem Child," my memoir of life with autism.



TheWingman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 162

07 Dec 2011, 1:39 pm

It has probably mentioned before but it could be due to our neeandertal genes. Arcoding to the neandertal theory (that's just a theory thought) people on the AS have more neandertal genes than others. According to this theory, neandertal used to live more than 100 years, and thus to age more slowly.

more info here http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm



TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,039

07 Dec 2011, 2:02 pm

_BRI_ wrote:
We look younger physically, why is that?


Besides genetics....

Stress will age you.

IF you believe in statistics, the numbers say most adult Autistics are unemployed and living at home without children. The struggle to keep a job, pay a mortgage, and raise children causes: stress.

The Autistics who are independently living are either in group homes or refusing to enter the rat race inorder to keep up with the Joneses. Both lifestyles minimizes STRESS.


TheSunAlsoRises



TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Nov 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,102

07 Dec 2011, 5:26 pm

I have had a lot of stress in my life. Still I look much younger than everyone else.



TheWingman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 162

08 Dec 2011, 7:04 am

TheygoMew wrote:
I have had a lot of stress in my life. Still I look much younger than everyone else.


Completly agree. Aspies have in average much more stress than others because they are on the freaking wrong planet, but they still look younger.

I don't believe either in facial expression theory, I know lots of people with very expressive faces who don't have wrikles and look yonger. Also, there are some people who have wrikles and look yonger and some people don't have wrinkles but look old. What makes someone look young or old is hard to grasp. Personally I think it's in the genes.



TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,039

08 Dec 2011, 9:44 am

TheWingman wrote:
TheygoMew wrote:
I have had a lot of stress in my life. Still I look much younger than everyone else.


Completly agree. Aspies have in average much more stress than others because they are on the freaking wrong planet, but they still look younger.

I don't believe either in facial expression theory, I know lots of people with very expressive faces who don't have wrikles and look yonger. Also, there are some people who have wrikles and look yonger and some people don't have wrinkles but look old. What makes someone look young or old is hard to grasp. Personally I think it's in the genes.



Besides genetics......

As I stated in my post, Autistics do NOT(for the most part) have the TYPE of stress related to maintaining a 40hr week plus job, paying a monthly mortgage, and raising children. Why ? Because according to statistics people with Autism disproportionately do NOT have these things.

Everyone has stress. It's a fact of life. BUT, stress related to 'what'. This rat race will kill you and for the most part Autistics are NOT a part of IT.

For example: The president of the United States has stress related to dealing with national and global issues on a daily basis that effect billions of people in addition to stress related issues of the common every day man. For the most part, presidents don't age well, either.

Having to focus on self vs. having to balance that focus on self and others in spite of a condition is a whole other world.



TheSunAlsoRises



ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,907
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

08 Dec 2011, 9:55 am

Daryl_Blonder wrote:
The lack of facial expressions has been cited here as a reason, and it's dead-on.

Facial lines and frown marks form in most people relatively early in life, as a result of repeated facial expressions. You can even see them on teenagers sometimes. But given my poker face and wooden countenance, I don't have even the slightest hint of them at 30, and doubt I ever will.

The other thing is, staying out of the sun. Needless to say many of us don't get out of the house much. For me it's been a deliberate avoidance of sun exposure (which accounts for 70% of visible skin aging) that I have been practicing since I was in my mid-teens.


I think there's a lot of truth in this.


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."


TheWingman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 162

08 Dec 2011, 10:58 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
TheWingman wrote:
TheygoMew wrote:


Besides genetics......

As I stated in my post, Autistics do NOT(for the most part) have the TYPE of stress related to maintaining a 40hr week plus job, paying a monthly mortgage, and raising children. Why ? Because according to statistics people with Autism disproportionately do NOT have these things.

Everyone has stress. It's a fact of life. BUT, stress related to 'what'. This rat race will kill you and for the most part Autistics are NOT a part of IT.

For example: The president of the United States has stress related to dealing with national and global issues on a daily basis that effect billions of people in addition to stress related issues of the common every day man. For the most part, presidents don't age well, either.

Having to focus on self vs. having to balance that focus on self and others in spite of a condition is a whole other world.



TheSunAlsoRises


MMM I still maintain that aspies have more stress than others. Every life can be stressfull, that's for sure, but most of the people just do what they have to do and have stress now and then due to unexpected events occuring. The stress of an aspie - like me, is that you just don't feet anywhere, at least you feel this way, dealing with everyday life situation can be much more difficult. Aspies have more difficulties with people, feell more lonely and thus more depressed.

When you are an aspie, at least you have greats friends plus a confortable source of revenu doing something you like, that's gonna be a tough life for you.



byakuugan
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2011
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 104
Location: Bakersfield, California

08 Dec 2011, 11:13 am

It is only chess players who can precisely guess my age.
Nobody else thinks I look about 20.
They either think I am about high-school age (around 15-16), or some 30-year old homeless guy.