Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 11:09 am

I prefer to take fot showers, though sometimes I have had cold and felt quite good, but in winter I like hot because as soon as I get out of the shower I am cold. Our bath is too small to be any good, and I havnt had a bath in years. though I realy like showers, I cant stand rain and dislike getting wet in general. I would love to have a 1 hour shower, but in Austalia we are in a drought and are only suposed to have 5 minutes.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2008, 11:24 am

I don't like the whole bathing thing, washing my hair hurts, brushing my hair hurts too.
But I hate baths.

I shower once or twice a week but my showers take (for me) a long time, about half an hour and they start very warm and end up extremely hot but it doesn't feel it.

KatieMiller
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2008, 11:52 am

I love really long hot showers, but I tend to think that "normal" hot water is scalding so I turn it down. Now, though, I'm trying to take luke-warm shortish showers to save energy and money. Also saves time. I get my day started soon, which is a good feeling.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 11:53 am

I love taking loooooooooong hot showers. I like my water steaming, so hot that it almost burns. I find that it numbs the skin a bit. :lol:
I usually spend about 35-40 minutes in the shower. 25 minutes if I'm rushing, or 1 hour if I'm taking my dear sweet time.

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2008, 12:46 pm

I'm quite relieved to see that I'm not the only one that takes really long showers. :D
I usually take somewhere from 20-40 minutes, and my family doesn't really love that. I'd rather take shorter showers to not be so wasteful, but I don't understand how to. The water I use isn't particularly hot or cold, just warm. I don't like being sprayed with water of either extreme of temperature.
Water at high pressure hurts my skin, so I have some trouble showering at hotels.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 4:36 pm

Another thingthat I have been known to do is a variant on a Japanese bath. Sit in an ampty tub, and fill it with water that is as hot as you can stand it. Relax, and soak in the tub for about a half an hour or so, drain the water a little at a time, and replentishing with hot water as needed. Drain the water, close the shower curtain, and shower for 20 seconds to a minute. -- This is about as long as you'll probably be able to stand it.

You will enjoy the calm, refreshed feeling that this will give you for the rest of the day.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 5:13 pm

I love hot showers. All the paint was peeping of the walls and door and window frame, till a proper extractor fan was put it. :)

I like hot baths too.

I like direct heat on my skin for a couple of reasons. It feels good, and I have a lot of physical fatigue since as long as I remember. In the morning I almost always wake up with an extreme bursts of adrenaline that shoots up my limbs and stomach acid that forms a pool I the pit of my stomach. All of this is incredibly tiring, so I have to take a really hot shower.

Hot showers are healthier than very hot baths for guys. I try to lower the temperature a bit when I’m having a bath, although if I didn’t have to worry about my bits I would have it hotter. I don’t want to get more graphic, but there is a nocturnal side effect from getting too hot. :oops:

I love it when I’m in the bath the when it is cooled and then you turn the hot tap on again and it is still hot and you get hot current coming in. I love to put my hands in the hottest part, then again I like touching hot things in general.

There was a study my University College London that showed that on a molecular level if a heat reception is activated above a level it capable of blocking the pain receptor signal for up to an hour. When I had gastroenteritis, the only thing that would get rid of the pain was one of those microwavable heat pads for pets. It is also why it can work for period pain. For tissue inflammation and it is more effective than the over the counter drugs.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 5:31 pm

one thing i really enjoy on a really really hot and/or humid day is taking a really hot shower and slowly turning the temperature down until it's cold. it feels so refreshing to have the cool water flowing over your body with the hot steam all around you, and when you step out you feel refreshed.... for about 15 minutes, then you're back to sweating.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 6:55 pm

I love HOT showers also!

trgd__15
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2008, 6:58 pm

I've only met one person that didn't like hot showers. =/

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 7:41 pm

AWESOME TOPIC!! ! I LOVE hot showers!! !! !! :-) My family changed the water heater to 5-11PM because we used so much hot water (mainly me taking a shower LOL!) Thankfully most mornings it's luke warm enough for me to shower but afterwards the dish water is REALLY cool and not warm in the slightest. :-(

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 8:51 pm

Yups. I love my baths very very very hot.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 9:42 pm

Fascinating. I've never heard this mentioned as an Aspie thing, but it certainly seems popular here as a general consensus. My parents always complained that I emptied the hot water heater every time I showered, now my wife makes the same complaint, as well as swearing that what seems comfortably warm to me is actually scalding hot to her.

Anybody tried plugging the drain, for a bath and shower at the same time? It's very relaxing for me to have my ears below the water line to shut out everything but the sound of the running water.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 10:29 pm

Willard wrote:
Fascinating. I've never heard this mentioned as an Aspie thing, but it certainly seems popular here as a general consensus. My parents always complained that I emptied the hot water heater every time I showered, now my wife makes the same complaint, as well as swearing that what seems comfortably warm to me is actually scalding hot to her.

Yeah, it IS odd ESPECIALLY since, while I DO like HOT showers, I, like many people with AS apparently, like cold air!

As for HOW hot the showers are? Well, at my home. I turned the waterheater up as high as it would go, and I have the shower set as hot as it will go. In most other places, I have it turned as hot as it will go. The steam cleans out my lungs, and the mirrors get so foggy that I have to wipe them down to see. I can't put my glasses on in the room for quite a while, because they fog up!

So it IS HOT!

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 10:33 pm

Willard wrote:
Anybody tried plugging the drain, for a bath and shower at the same time? It's very relaxing for me to have my ears below the water line to shut out everything but the sound of the running water.
yes, while you're waiting to fill the tub you get the awesomeness of a hot shower.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 10:37 pm

Weird topic.

I never would've noticed that my showers are too hot or too long if my mom didn't complain about it :roll:

I don't try to make my showers long...I wash everything that needs to be washed, and by the time I'm done, it's been 40 minutes. I don't know how people take 5 minute showers. I would slip and fall and hurt myself trying to do it that fast.

I like other hot things as well...like leaning up against clothes dryers while they're running, or against those wall radiator heater things we had at school.

But I can't stand Michigan's humid weather >_<