Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 2:14 pm

I really am having a crisis of conscience right now. I don't even know for sure if my diagnosis of having Asperger's syndrome was accurate. Maybe I have heaped so many layers upon layers of attempts to achieve normality over the weird behaviors I knew were weird before I ever heard the name Asperger's that I am in denial, though. Anyway, Asperger's syndrome doesn't suck.

After all, we have...
Aspergonautics!

I am very thankful Aspergonautics was invented. It reminds me of what we can accomplish together to help each other. Aspergonautics isn't the only thing, though...

Analysis

At this, we kick so much proverbial donkey behind. And I can't say we're not...

Independent

We're too socially incompetent to be anything but! :o I'm glad I'm independent. Why, just yesterday, I did the most innocuous thing—move someone's crap out of a shower stall that, as far as I knew, could have been forgotten in there for hours. I set the stuff on the ledge of the changing area of the bathroom, but it fell over, and I didn't want to pick it up because I didn't want to touch his wash cloth, and he'd probably want to know his wash cloth was on the floor anyway. I just took a shower, and he later came in pissed off, very belligerent, and shouting all manner of obscenities and threats. I later came out and tried to calmly explain the situation to him. It was so much fun seeing this guy out of control over such a trifle. :lol: He can't retain some independence from the passions of the moment, and the effects are hilarious!

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 3:15 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I really am having a crisis of conscience right now. I don't even know for sure if my diagnosis of having Asperger's syndrome was accurate. Maybe I have heaped so many layers upon layers of attempts to achieve normality over the weird behaviors I knew were weird before I ever heard the name Asperger's that I am in denial, though. Anyway, Asperger's syndrome doesn't suck.

You're definitely an Aspie. No doubt about that.

Quote:
After all, we have...
Aspergonautics!

I am very thankful Aspergonautics was invented. It reminds me of what we can accomplish together to help each other. Aspergonautics isn't the only thing, though...

"There's Nothing Human baking in that oven."

Quote:
Analysis

At this, we kick so much proverbial donkey behind. And I can't say we're not...

Independent

We're too socially incompetent to be anything but! :o I'm glad I'm independent.

Agreed! :D

Quote:
Why, just yesterday, I did the most innocuous thing—move someone's crap out of a shower stall that, as far as I knew, could have been forgotten in there for hours. I set the stuff on the ledge of the changing area of the bathroom, but it fell over, and I didn't want to pick it up because I didn't want to touch his wash cloth, and he'd probably want to know his wash cloth was on the floor anyway. I just took a shower, and he later came in pissed off, very belligerent, and shouting all manner of obscenities and threats. I later came out and tried to calmly explain the situation to him. It was so much fun seeing this guy out of control over such a trifle. lol He can't retain some independence from the passions of the moment, and the effects are hilarious!

8O :evil: :oops: 8)

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 4:03 pm

Some people have so many bad experiances, that being happy is a little out of the question until they start building happy experiances. Regardless of whether they have aspergers, it is comforting to view aspergers as a debilitating condition, as a scape goat.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 5:38 pm

Very smug aren't you? Like tying cans on the tails of dogs and watching them run around screeching while you're laughing at their misery...

Sorry you're having a bad time right now, Neant. But cruelty to others isn't necessary.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 6:07 pm

Sophist wrote:
Sorry you're having a bad time right now, Neant. But cruelty to others isn't necessary.

I was doing nothing cruel. He was in my face acting like an idiot. I was being mature and discussing it calmly. Sure, when a guy is spouting off like a rabid dog, it's not the time to discuss such things, but what the hey, my life is no good here, and I need my entertainment too.

If only I had better options available...(Yes, I am clearly tired of the whole college experience by the way I've been acting lately.)

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 6:40 pm

See, the problem is you're finding his temporary unhappiness "entertaining". Which goes back to my little analogy of tying cans on dogs. Having "fun" with people, like on WP, when they don't think it's funny. And then you resolve that that's their problem. Because they are there for your entertainment and they just need to "lighten up".

You're not using your Aspergers as an excuse but you are using your "a guy's gotta have some fun in life" excuse.

I'm sure the guy in the bathroom probably overreacted. Most people do. But a little empathy? Or even the knowledge that you're supposed to feel at least guilty for knocking the stuff off? You did instigate it, not that it was purposeful. But did you apologize without him attacking you first?

The only thing is you spoute so many philosophies and talk about your empathy and kindness while you do things like this. I wish you would match your actions with your philosophies or at least vice versa. Otherwise, it sounds very hypocritical. Whether or not you care.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 6:49 pm

Okay, obviously this is absolutely none of my business, and i have no idea who you two're talking about, but my curiosity has overwhelmed me, who are you talking about?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 7:38 pm

Sophist wrote:
See, the problem is you're finding his temporary unhappiness "entertaining". Which goes back to my little analogy of tying cans on dogs. Having "fun" with people, like on WP, when they don't think it's funny. And then you resolve that that's their problem. Because they are there for your entertainment and they just need to "lighten up".

You're not using your Aspergers as an excuse but you are using your "a guy's gotta have some fun in life" excuse.

I'm sure the guy in the bathroom probably overreacted. Most people do. But a little empathy? Or even the knowledge that you're supposed to feel at least guilty for knocking the stuff off? You did instigate it, not that it was purposeful. But did you apologize without him attacking you first?

The only thing is you spoute so many philosophies and talk about your empathy and kindness while you do things like this. I wish you would match your actions with your philosophies or at least vice versa. Otherwise, it sounds very hypocritical. Whether or not you care.

I'd like to do more constructive things for fun, but I am not finding such outlets here, and I can't live in a perpetual state of apathy. I didn't have a chance to apologize because he started acting belligerent while I was in the shower (anyway, an apology requires wrongdoing). Why on earth should I feel guilty over a complete accident? That's like I should feel guilty because it rains sometimes.

It wasn't so much that he overreacted. It has a lot to do with the fact that he was completely infuriated; that goes beyond mere overreaction. He broke the bathroom's paper towl dispenser two days ago, and he punched it while I was taking a shower to intimidate me yesterday. He also threatened me with, "I would just stay in there if I were you." He said obscenities numerous times too. He really wanted to hit me.

North
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2005, 8:51 pm

One thing I've learned in dealing with people in college is that while it can be entertaining to piss people off, in the long run you're just f*****g yourself. Even if he doesn't do anything to you directly, he's going to tell all of his (and your) neighbors about how you were a jerk to him, and every time from now on that you see him you'll have a unpleasant, awkward situation to deal with. There have been plenty of instances where people have overreacted or freaked out at me when I'm not even at fault, but I've apologized for it anyway just to keep the peace.

It's funny that you bring this up because, though I'm ashamed to admit it, can be entertained by others' misfortune. I definitely have trouble feeling empathy for others at all. But I've realized that if you're nice to other people, they tend to be nice to you. You know the old saying- what goes around, comes around.

When other people told me this at first, I brushed it off and refused to believe it. But when you actually try it, it really works.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 9:10 pm

Even though he sounds like a bit of a hothead (and not knowing also what's gone on between you two prior to that), you should still feel sorry. Accident or not.

If I accidentally kill someone, I should still feel sorry and regret it. Regreting an action doesn't have much to do with whether it was intentional or not.

Even though I can understand that your intention to leave it on the floor was so he could know it was dirty, and not to try and fool him. But I doubt he saw it that way. He no doubt thought you knocked it over and didn't even care enough to pick the stuff back up. That's the more likely interpretation given his outburst.

He was in the shower at the time I take it? I assume that would have made informing him of what happened so as to let him know it was an accident either a bit awkward or difficult?

Most people might be a little frustrated with what happened, but if you can circumvent their anger with a seemingly-sincere apology, you can avoid a lot of unpleasant interactions. Plus, you can avoid people holding a grudge and can stay clear of future difficulties.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 10:14 pm

Sophist wrote:
Even though he sounds like a bit of a hothead (and not knowing also what's gone on between you two prior to that), you should still feel sorry. Accident or not.

If I accidentally kill someone, I should still feel sorry and regret it. Regreting an action doesn't have much to do with whether it was intentional or not.

The difference is killing someone is a major bad. Even if it is accidental, a person is going to be grappling with the notion that they were responsible, intentionally or not, for another person's death. They shouldn't beat themselves up over it, but it's human nature.
Sophist wrote:
Even though I can understand that your intention to leave it on the floor was so he could know it was dirty, and not to try and fool him. But I doubt he saw it that way. He no doubt thought you knocked it over and didn't even care enough to pick the stuff back up. That's the more likely interpretation given his outburst.

No, he was not in the bathroom at the time. To give you an idea about the shower situation and the bathroom, the men's wing of this section of the residence hall shares one bathroom between some 20 odd guys. There are two toilet stalls, two urinals, three sinks, and two shower stalls. One shower stall is larger and designed for physically disabled people; unfortunately, the water comes out of it in a ring with very little water in the center because of the showerhead's design, so it doesn't rinse the soap off very well. That's why I prefer to use the stall on the right. When I came in, though, someone had left a little wire basket containing toiletries in the stall—in effect either reserving it or having forgotten about it; people leave shampoo and even clothes behind in the shower area all the time (there's one common changing area between the two shower stalls and the rest of the bathroom). I had a final at 7:30 the next day, and it was already past 11:00, so I needed to take a shower pronto; I wasn't going to wait half an hour to see if someone was going to remove that stuff or not. I merely picked it up and set it down on a raised ledge between the changing area and the open expanse of the bathroom; however, because there was a curtain above that ledge, it didn't sit stably and fell over. Some stuff fell out. I was almost going to pick it up, but I decided not to because he would probably want to know that his stuff was on the ground (at least if he's something of a germophobe like me). He took this to mean I threw it out because I didn't care; I was actually being extra careful, but it still fell over. He came into the bathroom a few minutes after I had started taking a shower and immediately started cursing when he saw his stuff on the ground. He shouted, "Who's in there?" angrily; so, of course, I didn't feel like responding. I didn't really want to have a confrontation while I was naked in the shower. He was carrying on with his intimidation act for a few minutes before he left the bathroom in a huff. After I had gotten dressed and come out of the bathroom, I remarked that "Someone seems a bit angry," just generally as soon as I opened the door. I tried being calm and explaining how I had set his stuff down, but it fell over. He was pissed off, though.
Sophist wrote:
Most people might be a little frustrated with what happened, but if you can circumvent their anger with a seemingly-sincere apology, you can avoid a lot of unpleasant interactions. Plus, you can avoid people holding a grudge and can stay clear of future difficulties.

There was no option of apology. He was in a fury; he was really licking for a fight. It doesn't matter if he holds a grudge against me because the semester's over tomorrow, and I'll never see him thereafter! I'm saying adios to this dormitory!

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2005, 4:43 pm

Just cuz he's gone now doesn't mean you won't see him again.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 7:49 am

Larval wrote:
Just cuz he's gone now doesn't mean you won't see him again.

Yes it does. Neant's going to a different college next semester.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 12:08 pm

Last edited by Cade on 11 Feb 2006, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 1:43 pm

Cade wrote:
Philosopher-mystic Ludwig Wittgenstein, who probably was an Aspie

I thought he was HFA 'cause I read in Gillberg's book that he had language delay. (I, myself, don't know enough about Wittgenstein to say Gillberg was correct or not though.)