Page 4 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 60,104
Location: Stendec

22 Jul 2008, 9:58 am

I can enjoy canned tuna, but only if it's mixed with other, more tasty, ingredients.

I prefer raw tuna - albacore - on a bed of rice, with wasabi and soy sauce. The guy at the sushi bar know exactly how I like it.


_________________
 
No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.


ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 230
Location: Curitiba

22 Jul 2008, 12:28 pm

adding "all" and "never" to a sentence is a great way to be wrong


_________________
I talk to myself because I like dealing with a better class of people. - Tartakower


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 60,104
Location: Stendec

22 Jul 2008, 2:29 pm

ericksonlk wrote:
adding "all" and "never" to a sentence is a great way to be wrong

All sweeping generalizations should be skeptically considered; including this one.


_________________
 
No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.


Averick
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Mar 2007
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,709
Location: My tower upon the crag. Yes, mwahahaha!

22 Jul 2008, 2:37 pm

Nice list, Fnord.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 60,104
Location: Stendec

22 Jul 2008, 3:02 pm

Averick wrote:
Nice list, Fnord.

Thanx! Like I said, everything is from this thread, with only a few additions of my own.


_________________
 
No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

22 Jul 2008, 11:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
Averick wrote:
Nice list, Fnord.

Thanx! Like I said, everything is from this thread, with only a few additions of my own.


Yeah, you have the best list by far.



Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jul 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 953
Location: Australia

23 Jul 2008, 12:23 am

The problem is, as we are seen as a disease, our awareness of such is called a diagnosis, and our traits are labelled symptoms -it leads people to believe that any trait present in one is an indication of a "symptom" for all.



PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 May 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,492
Location: Kalahari Desert

23 Jul 2008, 12:20 pm

People with it are too nice for their own good. I was always fighting with other kids for the thrill of the fight (I am a woman). I think I also have bi-polar so maybe this dosen't apply. When I had an I.Q. test, it came back 74.



AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 994
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

23 Jul 2008, 1:22 pm

Juniperberrygirl wrote:
AnnePande wrote:
Juniperberrygirl wrote:
I dislike canned tuna. :eew:

Some people seem to think canned tuna is a liked thing for all Autistic spectrum people.


I've never heard about that.
But I like canned tuna, anyway. And don't think that it's due to Asperger's.


That's nice for you. Good healthy stuff, good for the brain (isn't it?). I only like Cooked Salmon, trout and cod.


Those are delicious too. I like fish in general.
Eg. I had a nice piece of smoked salmon today, yummy. :D :chef: :fish:



Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2007
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 195
Location: Toronto. But we call it Tarana.

23 Jul 2008, 7:22 pm

Here's a common myth about Asperger's Syndrome:

That there is some sort of enmity towards us on the part of so-called NTs. I believe that, in reality, rather few people have even heard of AS, and that most would be sympathetic were they to learn about it.

I don't have any data to back this up (other than the anecdotal), so take it with a large grain of salt.


_________________
------------------------
ubi dubium ibi libertas


hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Nov 2004
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,054
Location: None

24 Jul 2008, 5:20 am

I've created a page with several myths. I will add to it later :)



2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,234

24 Jul 2008, 5:43 am

Doc_Daneeka wrote:
Here's a common myth about Asperger's Syndrome:

That there is some sort of enmity towards us on the part of so-called NTs. I believe that, in reality, rather few people have even heard of AS, and that most would be sympathetic were they to learn about it.

I don't have any data to back this up (other than the anecdotal), so take it with a large grain of salt.


You don't have to give a thing a name to attack it. When I was little, people did have enmity towards things that matched something later called AS in the US. As for being sympathetic, that depends on them and what they hear.

Most that act sympathetic only FEIGN such sympathy. It is like the people that INTENTIONALLY go out of their way to bother me and then say "I'm sorry" or "excuse me", only to go MORE out of their way to bump me LATER and say the same. Does NOBODY understand the meaning of those words? Let me give you a little tutorial!

1. "I'm sorry" means I made a a mistake and am sorry. I am contrite, and I will try not to do it again.
2. "Excuse me" means I am ABOUT to be in a position where I might bother you, but want you to know in advance and I ask that you not take offense.

OK? Understood?



Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Apr 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,191
Location: Birmingham, UK

24 Jul 2008, 9:26 am

hale_bopp wrote:
I've created a page with several myths. I will add to it later :)

Where is this page?


_________________
I don't have Aspergers, I'm just socially inept

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)


SquishypuffDave
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 249
Location: Australia.

25 Jul 2008, 8:04 am

In relation to the empathy debate:
I have begun to suspect that maybe it's NTs that lack empathy for Aspies, not the other way round. I feel empathy for others, but I don't express it normally, so NTs come to the conclusion that I don't feel empathy when they actually lack empathy for Aspies (and reasonably so, I wouldn't expect them to). I think the major difference (for me at least) is that I never jump to conclusions when it comes to empathy, so I don't react as often. Perhaps I should jump to conclusions more often? That seems to be the "normal" way of thinking.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 60,104
Location: Stendec

26 Jul 2008, 12:15 pm

SquishypuffDave wrote:
In relation to the empathy debate: I have begun to suspect that maybe it's NTs that lack empathy for Aspies, not the other way round.

I have the same suspicion. Because I am oriented towards problem-solving rather than the healy-feely aspects of emotional support, NTs accuse me of not caring.

But when I point out that I've discovered the cause of the trauma and removed it, thus eliminating any future trauma from that cause, NTs tell me that I should have been paying more attention to the victim. When I point out that if the cause had not been eliminated, their victim would become a victim again, they tell me that I am insensitive to the needs of others.

So let me get this straight ... instead of fixing the electric stove so that the owner does not get another electric shock, I should have held the owner's hand and told her that everything is going to be alright.

Right.

Got it.

Electrocution is preferable to tears.

:roll:


_________________
 
No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.


2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,234

26 Jul 2008, 12:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
In relation to the empathy debate: I have begun to suspect that maybe it's NTs that lack empathy for Aspies, not the other way round.

I have the same suspicion. Because I am oriented towards problem-solving rather than the healy-feely aspects of emotional support, NTs accuse me of not caring.

But when I point out that I've discovered the cause of the trauma and removed it, thus eliminating any future trauma from that cause, NTs tell me that I should have been paying more attention to the victim. When I point out that if the cause had not been eliminated, their victim would become a victim again, they tell me that I am insensitive to the needs of others.

So let me get this straight ... instead of fixing the electric stove so that the owner does not get another electric shock, I should have held the owner's hand and told her that everything is going to be alright.

Right.

Got it.

Electrocution is preferable to tears.

:roll:


WOW, I noticed the SAME thing!