Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 9:37 am

Shelby wrote:
...I signed up - the card was not free, it was $25 a year. I kept it for a while, never used it, and finally cancelled the damn card. In the time I had it, I got non stop phone calls from Amex trying to sell me insurance for the card, asking me crap like how will I pay for the card if I'm in an accident...

First off, make sure you are signed up on donotcall.gov so that most telemarking scum will leave you alone. Second, tell AmEx to never call you again for any reason and write the date and time down. If they call you again, go back to donotcall.gov and report them. The government dings them for several thousand dollars for each call they make illegally. They usually wait until they rack up several million in fines before they go after them though.

Does my hatred for telemarketing scum show?

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 10:29 am

I'm both gullible and naive... In fact, I would consider 'gullibility' one of my main personality traits. But I don't fall for scams or for people wo are trying to con me into buying a product or something... it's more that I'm gullible in the sense that I'm quick to believe things people tell me when I trust them. A particularly silly example was when I was 15, and my friend in school told me (as a joke) he had the ability to sense the strength level of a person (like in some sci-fi cartoons). It was pretty idiotic of me, but I corrected myself quickly and puberty was a psychologically confusing time for me to begin with.

It's happened a lot more times that my gulliblity got the better of me, but I can't think of examples that easily. Maybe I'm repressing them.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 10:45 am

I think I'm both gullible and cynical. If it comes from somebody I don't know/don't trust, OR if it seems good, I don't believe it. Like ever. So I'm so cynical that it almost borders on gullible? I KNOW I wouldn't be able to figure out what someone was trying to do, so I always just assume they're up to something sneaky?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 10:59 am

See Gull(ible) topic

I was just gullible enough to think I had killed this thread. Oh, well..... :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2009, 11:22 am

I'm gullible, or at least I think I still am. I remember getting dupped by this one popular kid--and I mean popular--during middle school when Yu-Gi-Oh! was a big deal. He said that he'll trade me a strong monster for one of my strong monsters. Unfortunately he gave me a monster with 0 attack points and 1800 defense points. I was mad, but then again as I think about it now, the monster could've been useful.

Now I don't know what happened to that kid, only that he was severely teased by the other kids once he went to high school then vanished. He was NT though.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 11:33 am

Batz wrote:
I'm gullible, or at least I think I still am. I remember getting dupped by this one popular kid--and I mean popular--during middle school when Yu-Gi-Oh! was a big deal. He said that he'll trade me a strong monster for one of my strong monsters. Unfortunately he gave me a monster with 0 attack points and 1800 defense points. I was mad, but then again as I think about it now, the monster could've been useful.

Now I don't know what happened to that kid, only that he was severely teased by the other kids once he went to high school then vanished. He was NT though.
There was this 'mafia' game going on in school when I was about 10 years old. This was when the country's most popular soap opera 'Goede Tijden, Slechte Tijden', had introduced a family of gangsters. I wanted to join in the fun, but immediately after I had joined the game, I was conned into handing my 'identity pass' to someone, who stole it. I don't remember the significance of the pass to the game. I abruptly stopped playing, though.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 12:51 pm

AGMorehouse, Yes I've been quite guillable over the many years from various acts of treachery different people have pulled upon me.Everything from pretending to be my friend wherein; I wind up being horrendously embarrassed to be dragged around for a multitude of decades and lied to in a situation resulting in someone stealing money from me in a manner of wording it.Mind you, that was several years ago and now, I keep my eyes open and I tend to be more aware of various actions that people take or the manner of their words and so forth.. Yes, because of this it has made me less trusting of most people probably, causing me to alienate people whom more or less are good-natured but, I hope others can understand this though for, no one wants to be lied,cheated,or mis-treated in any manner yet, one should not shut yourself off from people totally just, try to be cautious without failing to recognize the good people in life overall..

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 1:16 pm

LabPet wrote:
I'm probably not gullible - I'm leery. BUT, I am naive! To a fault. There is a difference. I am leery of strangers and I use my logic, so I'll not go for 'gullible.' But naive? Yes; this means I trust and am really honest. I cannot 'read' another so if they tell me something plausible, I will always belive them. (Not to be confused with a Nigerian Internet Scam - that's gullible).

Yeah I'd have to agree with this one. I am not gullible per say. But I can be quite naive when it comes to knowing when someone is lying to me. :?

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 1:27 pm

I am like a mixture of gulliable and naieve. People can take advantage of me. One story of me being gulliable was during a Pokemon Gameboy Advanced Game. I was going to trade Pokemon with someone, believing the Pokemon to be just as strong as mine. I turned out to have traded a Level 40-60 Pokemon for a Pokemon that was less than Level 10.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2009, 1:41 pm

Would not say guilable but I am very open minded, while having some very hard principle (which are possible to change but you better be ready for an argument war, at least if you can understand me), so I take time to listen to about everybody if they take time to speak to me and I am not busy with something that need to be done.

Biene
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2009, 3:37 pm

o.k. even with the risk of making a complete fool out of myself I just have to post this here, it is to hilarious.

I always thought of myself of being anything but gullible until my mischievous aspie son pulled that one on me :wall:

(Type this in on YouTube:)

Magic trick: Convince your friends they're psychic! - Barry and Stuart - BBC Three

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 3:54 pm

I seem to be very gullible when it comes to the most ludicrously obvious things that no one could imagine being gullible about, but when it comes to the more subtle stuff I seem to be the complete opposite. :?

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2009, 6:06 pm

I used to be gullible about factual matters. I naively assumed that everyone else was like me and would not tell me lies to make me look foolish. I wizened up over the years. Still, my wife tells me I believe everything anyone tells me. I think this is just in social situations and determining people's motivations, which I don't understand anyway.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 1:29 am

Definitely both gullible and naive. I can get taken in by arguments very easily and am probably more vulnerable to a good sales job than most people. I usually do a double check in these situations, though, and relate it back to someone I know to see what they say. Often, I've missed something very obvious to them, so I don't usually get "taken in."

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 1:37 am

I definitely see myself as gullible and a bit naive; for some reason..my belief always comes down to "maybe they know something I don't"...which usually isn't the case.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 11:33 am

I'm very gullible, and I've no doubt over-compensated for it as I've gotten older, to the point where I'm probably more skeptical than I should be. I won't buy anything where I've been solicited, as opposed to me seeking it out in the first place.

I have one exception to this, and that's the case of kids selling things outside the grocery store ... cookies or candy or whatever. I'm a total sucker for them .. lol .. I'll buy whatever they're selling, I don't care what it is. Most of the time, I'll buy their box of cookies, give them the money, then just hand them back the cookies.