Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 3:32 pm

i was watching tv and some person with there familie where eating on the table talking to each other with lots of food on the table and it lookd so good i suddenly start feeling very worse why cant i stand people who have a good life or an easy life even if its just a little bit or if it just looks like that (like my example) i really get a small meltdown because of it strange isnt it?

Biogeek
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Sep 2008, 4:23 pm

No, Undercover Alien, it's not strange. Such things make me feel depressed sometimes. I'm out walking around--by myself as usual, which is fine for the most part--and I see families together or couples in love, and I think, why couldn't I have at least had a crack at all that? Why couldn't I have at least had the opportunity to say no to it? Other times, I'm curious. I wonder what it would have been like. And other times, I thank my lucky stars to be alone and free of all the human hassle.

Life is different for many of us here. Not worse, not better. It takes a lot of effort to blaze a path through wilderness. NT's prefer to stay on the straight and narrow, the path their parents and countless generations walked before them. If I were so wired, I would have probably done the same thing.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 7:36 pm

Envy and jealousy hurt. It is natural. But envy is not helpful. It took me years of deliberate effort to get rid of it, and it still makes a rare appearance.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 7:58 pm

I don't remember ever feeling that way.
Can't relate. Sorry.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 10:51 am

first i tought i might have overreact with this topic but seems like jealousy is common with aspies :roll:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 11:44 am

UndercoverAlien wrote:
first i tought i might have overreact with this topic but seems like jealousy is common with aspies :roll:

I think everybody's jealous when it comes to sexual partners - to a greater or lesser extent. I had a terrible time with it when I was younger, mostly because I tried to repress it. That really does turn it into a monster, trust me! I learned to just make myself known, so my current partner knew about it in some detail before we slept together. I was terrified to do that for years, always thinking nobody would want me if they knew how I felt. Some of it centres around women's revealing clothes, and I think part of it is cultural, because nice girls never used to expose their sexy bits like they do today. And judging by some of the comments I've heard from men (when they think the girls aren't there) about exposed female flesh, it's almost enough to make a Muslim of me!

I'm still undecided about how close a partner should get to other potential sexual rivals. There seem to be some unwritten rules there.

Envy feels qualitatively different to me. I can feel envious of others who have what I want to have, but it only angers me when I think they've got it by unfair means. Often it's hard to find out. Maybe one well-paid person deserves a bit more for good, diligent service to a socially worthy cause. Another rich person by comparison might just be an overpaid, legitimised thief. In a world with limited resources and terrible poverty, I'd support more wealth redistribution than our governments seem to want. I try not to hate rich individuals, unless they're pushing a right-wing agenda by the use of propaganda and other dirty tricks.

Glencannon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2008, 12:06 pm

I feel this way to, but I don't consider it jealousy or envy, merely a haunting reminder of my own loneliness.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 12:55 pm

Tough Diamond, thank you for differentiating between jealousy and envy. I have never had a jealous second about my husband. Envy of what others have (talents, money for therapy, material goods, adventures etc) has been my problem.

Regulated capitalism has produced the greatest wealth for the greatest number of people. I am astounded at the millions upon millions of people that have risen to middle class in the last few years. Chinese buy gas for cars they now have, and Americans cannot figure out why gas costs more (hint: supply and demand).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 1:31 pm

lelia wrote:
Tough Diamond, thank you for differentiating between jealousy and envy. I have never had a jealous second about my husband. Envy of what others have (talents, money for therapy, material goods, adventures etc) has been my problem.

Regulated capitalism has produced the greatest wealth for the greatest number of people. I am astounded at the millions upon millions of people that have risen to middle class in the last few years. Chinese buy gas for cars they now have, and Americans cannot figure out why gas costs more (hint: supply and demand).

Glad you found it helpful. I suspect jealousy bothers more men than women. Probably down to the emancipation.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 1:37 pm

UndercoverAlien wrote:
i was watching tv and some person with there familie where eating on the table talking to each other with lots of food on the table and it lookd so good i suddenly start feeling very worse why cant i stand people who have a good life or an easy life even if its just a little bit or if it just looks like that (like my example) i really get a small meltdown because of it strange isnt it?

would you feel better if everyone had the same s**t as you? for fcuk sake man, get your s**t together, there's a lot of people out there who have real s**t going on and yet they don't whine as much as you do on this forum.

sorry, I don't mean to offend you but seriously, someone *has to* have it better than you, me and all of us together, otherwise all this s**t just wouldn't make any sense at all...

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:17 pm

this topic hasnt have anything to do with me <.<
im talking about suddenly feeling bad when seeing happy people
dont always read half-way and think you know what im talking about

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:22 pm

UndercoverAlien wrote:

nothing to do with you...?

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:26 pm

"strange isnt it?" seems like a real badass complaint -_-' l2r

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:30 pm

UndercoverAlien wrote:
"strange isnt it?" seems like a real badass complaint -_-' l2r

don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to upset you, it's just that looking at all the bad s**t out there, complaining about seeing happy people seems a bit whiny.

as long as I don't get bloody banned I'mma express my own views, yo! lol

take it easy

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:39 pm

k but dont do things like that because you cant know how some one's life is without seeing it or being in it yourself
if i would'nt have real problems i would'nt selfharm me and get into meltdowns all the time

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:56 pm

lelia wrote:
Regulated capitalism has produced the greatest wealth for the greatest number of people... and Americans cannot figure out why gas costs more (hint: supply and demand).
I wish we still had simple capatalism.
No, the price of gas is about corruption from a small group of people who have never been elected to anything. Iran finally found the courage last March to say "No" to the outright thievery, which is why Bush wants to bomb them. They're going to lose, but I can't help admiring them.