Do you have a Sensory Integration Disorder?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have a Sensory Integration Disorder?
Yes 79%  79%  [ 23 ]
No 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
don't know 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 29

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 6:17 pm

Do you?

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 6:27 pm

God yes. To a ridiculous level.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 6:38 pm

Aurore wrote:
God yes. To a ridiculous level.

Yeah.
Whether my "symptoms" are with "modulation, processing, or integration"-I definitely have lifelong major problems with my reactions to sensory phenomena. No one took me seriously (not even me, I just suffered with no name for why) until I learned about hypo & hyper sensitive reactions, on biological level-NOT due to being rife with "blameful" personality flaws.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 6:50 pm

I`m not sure, but I do flinch at loud sounds others can stand, and my senses are sharp in general`

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 7:18 pm

am diagnosed with sensory difficulties on a profound level,but havent been diagnosed with a specific sensory label as the learning disability service am in have always seen it as part of own autism.

WPers should also look at hyperacusis if they have a lot of dificulty coping with most sounds,as its an addon to sensitive hearing in both autism and as,am have it though have only just had the name put to it this week.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

butterflykitty2008
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2008, 7:26 pm

I do

Squidy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jul 2008, 8:26 pm

I've only started discussing this with a therapist. :::shudder::: It makes me feel so whiny.

How do you cope with sensory input? I have tactile issues, and problems with sound and smell. I've looked at websites, but most of the sites deal with how to calm your child. I can't find much info on how adults cope with stimuli.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 8:35 pm

I have learned a few tricks long beofre I even knew about SID...I only wear certain fabrics...soft, nonsnagging and cotton. No underwear of any kind, I file my feet and hands and cuticles to be as smooth as possible and always carry lotion. I swim without putting my face underwater. I always carry ear plugs or Ipod. Always have a book to calm me when I am over loaded...I have a small thing of vicks vapor rub for stimming and shutting out other smells. I have a bout 5 things of lip "goo" because I can't stand the dry lip thing. lately I have developed a very bad habit of always having a eucalyptus cough drop in my mouth which gets rid of the "mouth taste" and smell over loads....I am trying to switch to suger free gum but it isn't as effective. I usually carry ice cold water with me, as that helps calm me to...don't know why.

Hope that helps a bit.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

19 Jul 2008, 8:49 pm

I was diagnosed with it in elementary school but I do not know if I still have it so I voted Don't Know.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 8:53 pm

oh...so that's what you mean. Thought I had cardinal sensory problems...;) To a small extent. I tend to get annoyed by loud noises, muzak, etc.

Squidy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jul 2008, 8:55 pm

@krex:

A lot of that sounds like what I do! One question, my mate recommended that I try the Vicks to help with smell issues. Does that really work for you? I haven't tried it yet.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 10:01 pm

Squidy wrote:
@krex:

A lot of that sounds like what I do! One question, my mate recommended that I try the Vicks to help with smell issues. Does that really work for you? I haven't tried it yet.

I think it helps but I also just love the smell of eucalyptus. One of my favorite thing to do is rub it on y chest and then use my shirt as a "therapy tent" and just deep breath....bliss. Only problem is that you do desensitize to it after a few minutes so you have to take a break to get the best effect again. I actually got the idea from watching a show about morgue workers 8O Some put a line of it under their noses to help block the decomposing smell...nothing smells worse then death...so, I would say that it does help. Oddly, I work scooping dog poo and the worse smells isn't the poo but the smell of most of their food...worse going in then coming out. A few actually smell fruity and good...I have been tempted :lol: (uuhm...to much info ? :D )

Anyway...give it a try, we are all dfferent. I also add some eucalyptus oil to my bath water....I swear I was a koala in a past life.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Squidy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jul 2008, 10:51 pm

I'll give it a shot. It can't smell any worse than the people on the bus ...

I'm not sure that I would be very tempted by what the dogs are eating ... based on the horrendous breath my cat wakes me up with each morning ... oh man!

You know, I read somewhere that the koala doesn't *have* to eat eucalyptus. They're just addicted to it. Little junkies - the William S. Burroughs of the marsupial world. :D

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 11:10 pm

I don't really like the smell of Vicks, but I wonder if a dab of my fav perfume under my nose would work the same? Smells are by far my worst sensory issue. I can't stand to be in crowded places with everybody's smell merging together. :eew: I get so lightheaded, and I feel like I could vomit. I've been trying t think of a way to take a familiar nice scent with me without using a tissue, or something to that effect. I think it would look kinda odd if I were to sit in public sniffing a tissue.

Squidy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jul 2008, 11:18 pm

That's actually what I do now (covering my face) ... sort of. I have some peppermint balm that I rub on the ends of a scarf and every once in awhile I sniff the scarf. I also use it to cover my face when someone/something just smells too horrible. It gives a very short break and you can disguise it with a fake yawn, sneeze, or cough so as not to look too odd.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2008, 11:38 pm

My hearing is hypersensitive, especially to shrill, piercing and/or metallic sounds, which can sometimes be a hassle at my current catwalk-ridden job.

My olfactory-related senses (smell and taste) are hyposensitive. I enjoy lots of unusually strong, pungent or even noxious foods and drinks, I think as a way to "fill the void."
Similarly, I have tactile hyposensitivity, and even some of the masochistic symptoms that can go with it.

Last edited by CMaximus on 19 Jul 2008, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.