Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 7:04 pm

Who likes cooking? Do you follow recipes, or do you wing it? Do you experiment with recipes?

I like cooking, but I only cook using recipes which are carefully laid out, with all the measurements and times clearly stated (I hate it when it says "a pinch" or "to taste"). I also find that I have difficulty with the prep- it always takes me about 5X as long as the writer estimated for me to get everything ready! I swear those prep times are complete fictions. So anyway, who else likes to cook, and what is your particular style? I would guess that Aspies are not the type to "wing it" in general.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Oct 2007, 7:07 pm

I have to practice one thing repeatedly. My problem is nobody formally taught me how to cook. I guess they just expected me to know how to?? I know how to make spaghetti really well, lasagna and french bread pizza, stir fry. That's about it.

xx Dan Monster

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 7:15 pm

I like to cook!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 7:25 pm

i like to cook, it's like chemsitry but without the stress, and i like to eat a cooked meal. I usually base myself on recipes i know or looked up but i almost always modify them as i go along.

Strangegem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2007, 7:30 pm

I love cooking, and yes, I wing it, but I can only do that because I know how all the ingredients work, how all the spices smell, etc.
I have like mental index cards with all the info about each ingredient. Sometimes I've made some rather nasty things, but like five times out of hundreds.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 7:56 pm

I've been gradually trying to learn how to do decent cooking.

I can broil fish, make macroni and cheese, cook a baked potato, make a salad, baked pasta, fried rice, hamburgers, sub sandwiches. I've also learned how to cook with the camp stove that I have for backpacking.
I'm most interested in trying out different marinades and seasonings on my fish and burgers. I experiment sometimes I think the best thing I've come up with on my own thus is an italian seasoned tilapia marinated in soy sauce. I'm always tweaking my fried rice, changing the contents and amounts of ingredients.

Well most basic cooking isn't that hard. I'm really not that interested in making anything really fancy, gourmet like. I prefer simplicity and practicality. Stuff I can actually eat...

Sometimes my stuff turns out good, sometimes no.

becca423b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Oct 2007, 9:20 pm

I love cooking! I'm not that great at it, because I only cook for one person and usually make simple things, but I love trying new recipes or throwing things together and seeing how they taste. The only part I don't like is doing dishes!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 9:39 pm

Most cooking is rather simple once you learn the effects of heat on various ingredients. The main problem is to learn the limits of variation and they are usually rather wide. Then it is fun to experiment and try different variations. Baking is rather rigid as a small variation in heat or ingredients can cause a wide variation in results but once the basics are mastered then the limits of variation can be explored with interesting results. The main thing is not to be afraid to experiment. If something turns out badly, most ingredients are not all that expensive. Throw it out or feed it to the birds and try again.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

27 Oct 2007, 9:57 pm

I consider myself to be a master chef. I make up my own recipies, and rarely measure things out (particularly spices), and get very upset when anybody messes with my chef's knife. Like writing, food is a thing through which I like to express myself artistically.

I just need to find someone to cook for. :wink:

Good fortune,

- Icarus lives spicy food...

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 11:35 pm

I like making homemade potato salad. Or rather, I like the potato salad I make, but I don't like making it!

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 3:13 am

My favourite dish at the moment:

Thinly slice one organic buffalo mozerella cheese

Lay out the slices on a large plate.

Thinly slice some fresh but quite ripe and soft tomatoes (organic on the vine).

Lay the tomatoes on top of the mozerella.

Sprinkle with a little sea salt and lots and lots of freshly milled black pepper.

Break up a handfull of fresh basil (greek is best) and put all over the top.

Drench the whole dish in lashings of extra virgin olive oil.

Eat with toasted sourdough bread which is lovely for mopping up all the juices to clean the plate.

Yum Yum

:lol:

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2007, 5:25 am

I love cooking, but I don't think I've ever followed a recipe to the T. I follow basic instructions like 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, but the proportions I kinda event. I also like to make up dishes, figuring out what spices work best together, how to change texture, and how a different mix of meats and other ingredients change overall flavor. My husband jokes that I don't like to cook, I like to experiment, which is true enough. What's the fun in making the same thing a hundred times over?

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 5:38 am

I like cooking, but what I don't like is standing for so long.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 5:54 am

I used to cook a lot, when I had somebody else to cook for.

Now I don't even make my own pasta sauce anymore.

- Emerson

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 5:59 am

I like cooking.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2007, 9:31 pm

I like to cook and can 'wing it' a bit. I prefer following structured order and recipes for things I've never made before. I don't really like the pinch, dash dolup or other such non specific measurements in recipes either.