Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 7:17 pm

Animals have always been my chief obsession but ever since I could remember I have HATED primates. Some monkeys are cute and lemurs are so adorable. But chimpanzees are but ugly and even more so with their babies. I could never understand why people spend hours at the zoo saying how cute they were. Baby chimpanzees are NOT cute. But then this is coming from a person who thinks snakes and insects are cuddly looking. I don't think it's right to abuse them or anything and if there was one that needed my help I would help it or give it a home if it needed one and had no other place to go. We would only look at the monkeys ate the zoo if someone else went with us and I would complain until we went to see a better animal. I think maybe it's because chimpanzees are so human looking.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 7:30 pm

Well they are a bit ugly, there babies aren't exactly kittens either. maybe we tend to equate them to humans and therfore think they are ugly in comparisen, also some of there habbits are bellow, well I will say clean. And Tigers, spiders, crocodiles are ausome and much more interesting then those hairy hobbits.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jul 2008, 7:39 pm

I love primates. They fascinate me. I don't see anything ugly about them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 10:11 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
Animals have always been my chief obsession but ever since I could remember I have HATED primates. Some monkeys are cute and lemurs are so adorable. But chimpanzees are but ugly and even more so with their babies. I could never understand why people spend hours at the zoo saying how cute they were. Baby chimpanzees are NOT cute. But then this is coming from a person who thinks snakes and insects are cuddly looking. I don't think it's right to abuse them or anything and if there was one that needed my help I would help it or give it a home if it needed one and had no other place to go. We would only look at the monkeys ate the zoo if someone else went with us and I would complain until we went to see a better animal. I think maybe it's because chimpanzees are so human looking.

I adore monkeys. I saw a show about a monkey refuge, for people who buy monkeys as "pets", though you can't have a pet monkey because they are so close to humans genetically and it really is like having a human be your "pet" and that's just impossible! People find this out the hard way, so when they have had enough, people give their uncontrollable monkeys to the woman who runs this sanctuary in Florida.

Some of the monkeys had missing fingers because people had gotten angry at them and punished them by cutting off part of their fingers. I just couldn't believe someone could do that to the hand of a monkey it would be just like doing it to a human hand, right? Because monkey hands look like small human hands.

Omar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2008, 10:44 pm

them chimps even less cute when they gett'n together in troupes and raidin' each other territories.... curb stomp'n them other males and rapin' the females and cannibalizing the young'uns.

Omar's gotta lots of respect for them things...closest evolutionary link to humans and it shows.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 10:48 pm

Omar wrote:
them chimps even less cute when they gett'n together in troupes and raidin' each other territories.... curb stomp'n them other males and rapin' the females and cannibalizing the young'uns.

Omar's gotta lots of respect for them things...closest evolutionary link to humans and it shows.

I still like monkey hands.

23 Jul 2008, 11:10 pm

I have always thought new born human babies are ugly. But I think my thoughts had changed because I have seen a few newborn babies lately and I didn't think they were ugly. I have seen my brothers as newborn and I never thought they were ugly.

I have never seen baby chimps so I wouldn't know. Remember, thinking they are ugly or cute is an opinion. Everyone has their own view of what is cute and ugly. Just like me thinking newborns are ugly and they get cuter as they get older.

Omar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2008, 11:17 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Omar wrote:

I still like monkey hands.

Monkey hands? well they do got long fingers

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 11:33 pm

Well, I've never liked primates because they're all related to the worst specie on the planet, humans.

Birdgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2008, 11:38 pm

I love all primates :(
Yes they're odd looking, but so are we.

I'd LOVE to work with primates/wild animals, similar to what Jane Goodall does.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 1:49 am

I wish we'd stop electing them.

kitty2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2008, 3:15 am

Generally I don't hate animals except for ticks...
As a kid I didn't like the chimps in the zoo at all, hierarchical noisy creatures. I loved the snakes. I could watch them for hours, but my parents got bored after half an hour or so... :roll:

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2008, 3:28 am

Cyberman, I lol at your name, avatar, and comment.

I am in awe of primates when I see them. I think it's really cool to see a species so close to us, especially since there aren't any hominids left except ourselves.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 5:03 am

PunkyKat wrote:
I am pretty much of the same opinion on primates (much prefer lemurs to apes), but like Spokane Girl said, it's all opinion. I don't 'dislike' primates so much as I prefer other animals, like birds, reptiles and insects and other arthropods. And you know how many people are creeped out by reptiles and insects.

And Cyberman's post made me chuckle as well. :lol:

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 5:11 am

I like bonbos, orangutans and mountain gorillas, I am sure if there are samquanchs I would like those too.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 7:48 am

I have nothing against primates in general. I am fascinated by chimps but they are very aggressive. They remind me more of humans than the other apes. Gorillas, Bonobos and Orang-Utans may not be pretty but they are generally peaceful and highly intelligent. I find intelligence in animals to be an amazing characteristic because when I was young I thought animals were little machines without minds.