Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

doubleone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2004, 3:24 pm

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2004/1122/thevines.html

Click the link. Wow, this is pretty big news! The Vines are actually quite a well known band and their singer has been well known for being a bit aggressive.

Ho Hum.

'How long?
Not long, 'cause what you reap is what you sow.'

(ph34r my new avatar!! !)

KtMcS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2004, 3:52 pm

Yeah I heard about this a week or so ago

Sonas càirdeas

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2004, 3:58 pm

I read that on their official website a while ago. I actually like some of the songs they made, such Rainfall, Homesick, and Winning Days.
Craig Nicholls was diagnosed by Tony Attwood earlier this year and they used his dx to explain the agressive attitude he had had during a concert, kicking a paparazzi's camera and then "fighting" with another member of the band. Nicholls says he is now relived to have a diagnosis because people used to think he was "mental".
I think that they presented the dx the wrong way. It makes think that Aspies are all aggressive.

Last edited by sparkplugloy on 17 Dec 2004, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

car_crash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2004, 6:13 pm

yeah. with that and that aspie murderer it paints a bit of a bad light. not that i care what anyone thinks. i have the vines first album and i wasnt that impressed with it but outtatheway was an ok tune

MichaelKnight
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2004, 9:29 pm

With all that you just have to hope that <i>pleading asperger</i> won't become the new <i>pleading insanity</i>.

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2004, 9:32 pm

It has. :/

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2004, 11:42 pm

ya knwo what i hate? when people write things withput prior knowledge: read this:

By Charlie Amter

The charismatic, but mercurial frontman for Australian rock band the Vines may be off the hook, but he's in for a rough ride.

• Feature: Top 25 CDs of 2002
• Review: The Vines' Highly Evolved
• Review: The Vines' Winning Days

E! Online Photo

Singer-guitarist Craig Nicholls was cleared Friday in Sydney of assault charges stemming from an incident where he allegedly kicked a photographer and trashed the woman's camera at a May gig.

But the 26-year-old singer also revealed in court that he has Asperger Syndrome, a mild form of autism that can manifest itself in erratic behavior.

Once Nicholls made the admission, the judge dismissed the charges on the condition that the musician continues medical treatment for the disease.

The revelation sheds some light on the band's troublesome history. Nicholls has been known for his sometimes freaky onstage antics and was even booted from a Tonight Show appeareance after destroying equipment during rehearsal.

The Vines had been slated to open for Incubus on a high-profile North American summer tour, but pulled out--presumably because of Nicholls' struggles with AS. The lack of touring hurt the sales of the group's 2004 release, Winning Days, which has only sold about 168,000 copies Stateside, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The Vines primarily rely on concerts to reach their audience.

In a statement on the band's Website, TheVines.com, the group's management says, "The last six months has been a very trying time for the Vines and those close to them. Craig was recently diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, a neurobiological disorder which is a mild form of autism. People with AS are generally considered exceptionally intelligent (and often obsessively focus their attention to music or art), but have difficulty reading social situations and are often accused of being deliberately rude and antisocial. They also have difficulty coping with change and only find security in a familiar routine and environment.

"The band has NOT broken up and Craig looks forward to doing what he loves and lives for--getting back to writing and recording music with the Vines. On behalf of Craig and the Vines, thank you to family, friends and fans for their continued support, understanding and compassion."

The band is also reportedly still with Capitol Records, despite the dismal sales of Winning Days.

Nicholls, often compared with a young Kurt Cobain, first burst onto the U.S music scene two years ago with the Vines' breakout alternative rock hit "Get Free."

The Vines achieved buzz-band status with their critically lauded 2002 debut, Highly Evolved, which peaked at 11 on the Billboard 200 and went gold with sales of 671,000.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! eratic behavior? &@$#% that!! !!

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2004, 7:26 am

I too am sick of all this bad reportage of people with Asperger's committing crimes and getting off because of their AS.

And what is this about erratic behavior? I've never heard of that being a symptom of AS before...

This is off topic, but I am very curious, so I have to ask (and I think I can guess, but I want to know):

doubleone, why do you hate Mark Haddon so much?

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2004, 9:20 am

I asked him the same question in his intro post. I would tell you, but i wouldn't want him to get angry at me for answering his question (which you might not, doubleone, but i know it hacks me off), so i'll let him answer.

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 8:48 am

Now, is this really Asperger's Syndrome or is it just rock and roll and entertainment in general. Entertainers, from what I read, tend to be aggressive toward members of the media from time to time.

I believe Craig Nicholls has AS but he acts like other enterainers.