How television taught me to be normal

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 9:52 am

good mimics like tv. they can take on different personas and it works. I think it's an excellent tool for someone who isn't sure how to interact. For instance, CAIOU (the kids show) was one of my son's favorite shows. Well, each time CAIOU the young boy said something, there was narration explaining HOW he was feeling. No wonder he liked it! I do think he learned quite a bit from this innocent cartoon. I used to love to pretend to be one of the brady girls or laura ingalls-even lassie believe it or not. I practiced and it kept me busy. Okay, I'm pathetic, maybe, but it helped me tremendously. Makes me think of Cable Guy with Jim Carey. : )

What is real, really? We all wear a mask if you haven't figured that out yet.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 10:43 am

CoachMcGuirk wrote:
From watching TV, I learned more than some stupid seminar.

People usually act the same way in real life.

Unfortunately, they don't.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2008, 1:14 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
CoachMcGuirk wrote:
From watching TV, I learned more than some stupid seminar.

People usually act the same way in real life.

Unfortunately, they don't.

While TV is useful it only reflects society, it does not represent real life. Most TV shows in prime time are fictional.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 1:17 pm

People "act" on TV and "acting" is an inherently artificial behaviour. In real life, most people don't act.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 1:22 pm

They don't act in the way people act on TV. They do try to project a certain image, though.

It might help you become more understandable. I don't think it would make you seem "normal"; but it might close the communication gap between you and NT because if you're good enough, they will read you the way they read TV characters. I've never gotten much from TV myself, but if it helps you, why not?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Speckles
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2008, 8:03 pm

Hmm, I read a book once called "Everything bad is good for you" that theorized that Reality TV like Survivor or American idol was like Jeopardy for Emotional Intelligence. Essentially the enjoyment was in trying to read the contestants relationships with each other, their reactions to different events, and the environment around them to predict what was going to happen.

So in Survivor, the thought process might be that Person A is very likable but good at winning contests, while Person B is great at preventing fights but otherwise doesn't do anything helpful, and Person C is a dick but is the only one who can produce a particular luxury item. Which person is going to voted off? The thought process goes something like this:

- Everyone likes Person A, but since he's good at winning contests and getting immunity if the others don't vote him off they might not get another chance; of course voting him off would also mean fewer prizes for the group. Plus the voting players will feel bad if they kick him off.

- Some people don't like Person B, and she doesn't do anything useful, but she does help keep the peace, and since she doesn't do anything useful that means that she maybe she'll get voted off next time, potentially saving one of the voting players.

- No one really likes Person C, but she's able to fish/cook/do something else and so losing her would make life less pleasent. Of course not voting her off means still having to deal with her bitchiness, but maybe that will get her voting off next time also potentially saving one of the voting players. Then again, she'll still be useful then as well and so people won't want to vote her off, so maybe it's best to remove the threat now ...

If you start thinking about reality shows like that, they can become enormously complicated. I still don't like them, but they can be a good way to examine the reactions of actual people, albeit usually drama queens in implausible situations.

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2008, 8:59 pm

while not all of the social things on the tv are perfectly and correctly mirrored in real life, its a great starting place, in my opinion :x i also learned how to be a little less socially 'weird' from video games ^^; gamer since 2 years old XD gogo barny hide n seek

Flipmode
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2008, 11:37 pm

TV can't teach anyone to be normal. Almost everything is exaggerated and Dramatized when it comes to behavior. Also television is non-stop action as opposed to the long breaks of normality that real life has to offer.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:42 am

Flipmode wrote:
TV can't teach anyone to be normal. Almost everything is exaggerated and Dramatized when it comes to behavior. Also television is non-stop action as opposed to the long breaks of normality that real life has to offer.

Agree. TV harms your mind. Have you ever heard about the censorship, guys? They won't show you the truth!
Just keep your own eyes open and listen to what people say, the rumors are never created of nothing. Watch life around you!
But well... it's my subjective opinion.