Do you come off as rude in your voice?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 9:52 pm

My 8 year old sister does this alot. We tell her she sounds rude and she crys "I wasn't being rude!!" "Why do you always have to yell at me!" I was curious if other people with AS did this as a child.

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2008, 9:55 pm

my mom says im rude all the time :/ i dont mean it, and i even tell her that and tell her im sorry if i came off as rude but she still goes off on me, and sometimes goes on about the exact same incident of 'rudeness' even after ive apologized. eventually she ends up going on a rant about how i dont do anything around the house... even though i do >_<

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 9:56 pm

I think I have more of a problem with my facial expression than my tone of voice. Often my family members will ask me 'what's wrong?' and I have no clue. I guess sometimes I make grumpy faces when I don't mean to.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 9:59 pm

I had to learn how to not sound rude and sarcastic. It was not a good thing. Also, I rolled my eyes a lot and wasn't aware of it until my sister told me when I did it. Must have offended lots of people...sorry

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2008, 10:01 pm

i dont even realize when i sound rude, honestly, i feel like im talking like normal, and it sounds to me like im talking normal, but then my mom will go off on a yelling rant about how disrespectfull i am >_< usually i end up having a wonky tone of voice if ive been sitting around and not talking to anyone for an extended amount of time and then am forced to reply to something.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Aug 2008, 10:11 pm

I tend to say things pretty bluntly, sometimes. I guess some people think this is rude. I tend to come off as screechy when I'm irritated without even knowing it. My husband asks me all the time, "Why are you yelling?" and I always say, "because you were yelling at me." He claims he wasn't yelling, but it sure seemed like he was. Bizarre.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 10:16 pm

Liverbird wrote:
I tend to say things pretty bluntly, sometimes. I guess some people think this is rude. I tend to come off as screechy when I'm irritated without even knowing it. My husband asks me all the time, "Why are you yelling?" and I always say, "because you were yelling at me." He claims he wasn't yelling, but it sure seemed like he was. Bizarre.

Some people yell without realizing it when they are hard of hearing.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 10:17 pm

All the time. If I didn't sound like a robot, I sounded rude or like I didn't care (which I usualy didn't)

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 10:46 pm

Yes I do...

Foringinn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2008, 11:01 pm

claire333 wrote:
I think I have more of a problem with my facial expression than my tone of voice. Often my family members will ask me 'what's wrong?' and I have no clue. I guess sometimes I make grumpy faces when I don't mean to.

I know what thats like. I remeber being asked "whas wrong" or "why are you angry" repedetly until I was angry and would yell out "becouse you are asking me silly quastions".

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2008, 11:22 pm

Foringinn wrote:
claire333 wrote:

I know what thats like. I remeber being asked "whas wrong" or "why are you angry" repedetly until I was angry and would yell out "becouse you are asking me silly quastions".

i hate when people ask me "whats wrong?" -.-;; people in my middle school thought i was an emo kid because i apparently look sad all the time.

ecky
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2008, 12:18 am

I am told I am being rude by multiple people, several times a day each.

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2008, 1:09 am

I've been told I speak with an air of superiority. That was from someone who just couldn't handle honesty though :) Other people tell me a communicate very well. I'm pretty straight forward though.

My daughter too can sound cold and rude, and we are constantly explaining that she's not being rude. She too shows her feelings on her face and with her bidy before she realizes them herself. One therapist suggested we film her to show her, but we haven't tried this yet. Waiting for an available video camera.

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Aug 2008, 1:30 am

Bunni wrote:
I've been told I speak with an air of superiority.

someone told me this once, except not nearly as polite as you put it.

it was ina leveling party on FFXI late at night one night, the guy was talking about how apparently levelling at lvl23-25 in the area we were in was crappy, annoying, and tedious. well, i had never had this problem, so i told him that. i literally said "ive never had that problem". then he goes and says that he usually moves on to the next area at lvl23, which is kind of a stupid move, and ive never seen anyone do it. he says that a party full of lvl23's can survive in the next area just as well as a party full of 25's, and the guys character is a rank10 (that means hes done a crapload of missions in game, the higher up oif which require a max-levelled character) so i figure hes played long enough to test this theory so i dont argue with that (even thoguh ive never seen any such happening, and im very skeptic of that working, but i dont say this) and he goes on and repeats that 23-25 suck inm the area we were in, and i said he mustve gotten into really bad levelling parties.

he replies with "wow, you're awfully full of yourself arent you?" and im sitting here like "wtf, did i read that right?" cause it was like, 2am or something, and im half asleep. im thoroughly confused cause really, where does it look like im full of myself? i mean hell, this time i didnt have to re-evaluate what my tone of voice was, cause this was all text on the screen. so i ask him "where do you see that?" and he says "your general air of asshattery"

... excuse me?

and it sparked on argument on who was wrong and who was right. to this day im still nto sure how that argument started or why, but ive got the guy written down as "one player not to be helped in a tight spot"

i highly doubt he actually got rank10. i think he bought a pre-levelled character, cause most people probably couldntve made it that far with that kind of attitude :/ its a teamwork-based game (and i owe it alot cause it helped me gain more refined social skills - wewt)

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 1:35 am

I can go into overload, and then my voice goes up a few notches...and that means I am being rude...

Linebeck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2008, 1:54 am

I can relate. Normally I speak loudly and arrogantly even though I dont make eye contact some people say that I'm rude.