Random useless knowledge database: What do you know?

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:02 pm

A handful of Acorns has a similar amount of calories as a pound of hamburger.

The classification of the Banaquit bird is unknown, it doesn't have a family level classification.

The Lotus flowers closest relative is the Planetree, not the Water Lillies

There are usually 7 Chaos Emeralds, but Sonic the Fighters had 8.

My brain has info on hundreds of plants and animals znd Sonic the Hedgehog stuff.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:14 pm

I have collected great volumes of information about:

Cats
The Olympic Games
Roger Bannister
Medical topics (including Autism and Asperger Syndrome)
1950s and 1960s music
Various countries of the world, including Greece, England, Japan, Spain and the Ukraine

Foringinn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2008, 8:07 am

In the British isles there ar 8 languges
English, Scots, Ulster-Scots, Irish, Cornish, Welsh, Gaelic, Ulster-Gaelic.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 8:52 am

I know how small the universe really is...
It's tiny, by the way. See? Doesn't help much, does it? Nah...

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:37 am

Hitler only had one testicle (no wonder he was angry...)

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2008, 12:38 pm

The curve of x squared is a parabola - hence you need to know that to make a telescope reflecting mirror.

Chinese for depression is 'men'.

drobert
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2008, 12:45 pm

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2008, 12:46 pm

i know everything about the classic pokemon, leading up to ruby and saphire versions where pokemon started taking a turn for the worst and now the new pokemon look very very manufactered :o like theyre running out of ideas and just puking on the paper to make em.

stephaniecatherine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2008, 12:48 pm

wolves and other non-domesticated canines will sometimes eat their own (and others) feces to avoid losing any extra nutrients they didn't completely absorb..this could explain why some domesticated dogs do this.

in Arabian Nights;1001 Tales -There is a mythical bird called the 'Roc' which was able to carry off elephants. In the story of Sinbad the Sailor-Sinbad and his crew crack open a giant Roc egg to eat ...which in turn equates to their ship being destroyed by Roc birds. In Madagascar, chips of bird egg have been found and formed into an egg that is 15 times the size of an ostrich egg. It is local folklore that the egg belongs/ed to a Roc.

Ostriches that are raised by people most likely will not know or have ever learned how to direct their romantic proposals to other ostriches...so in turn they will direct them at their human keepers. 8O

There is a flightless, nocturnal parrot called the Kakapo that live on three island reserves off the coast of New Zealand due to the fact there are only about 87 of them still in existance. The Kakapo will only feed their young the fruit of the pink pine and rimu trees, and so they will only breed at the time those tree are producing fruit...which is every 2-6 years. When it is time to breed these are the only parrots, and only flightless bird anywhere to use a 'lek system'....in which there are breeding grounds where the males establish their courts in order to perform/display themselves for females. The males gather on the traditional breeding ground and fight (very loudly and violently) for the best 'bowl' and once all of that has been settled they clean twigs from their them and keep things tidy and looking good for the ladies..all the male's bowls are connected by tracks up to 180 feet long, which they also keep tidy (and remember they don't fly!) These bowls act to amplify the kakapos VERY strange mating call. They inflate a thoracic sac, and create a low frequency booming call. They do this practically all night and they can be heard from almost a mile's distance away.

An octopus has three hearts. Two to pump blood through their gills, and one to pump blood throughout their body. Octopi are highly intelligent and are even suspected to have a sense of humor. In certain aquariums the octopus is the only creature that actually requires enrichment activities to avoid boredom!-rather than to release aggression, enforce instinct such as alligators,etc.

An octopus can taste what it is touching.

The third right tentacle of a male octopus is used for implanting sperm packets into the females mantle cavity. Kinky huh? The tentacle is actually detatched to do this and the male octopus dies relatively soon thereafter (give him a few months, give or take.)

:chin: i like this topic. yay. I want to add more, but I want to read more now :bounce:

^s^

stephaniecatherine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2008, 1:01 pm

Sedaka wrote:
at the time of his death.... napoleon had been depicted in more artwork than jesus. napoleon died a year before the first camera was invented too.

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." -Napoleon

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." -Napoleon

"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon." -Napoleon

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2008, 1:19 pm

stephaniecatherine wrote:
:chin: i like this topic. yay. I want to add more, but I want to read more now :bounce:

^s^

i kinda figured people would like to share their knowledge :o its kind of a place to show off without looking like a know-it-all, as well as a place to learn other stuff *nod nod*

i recently learned that apparently a 12 year old girl was kidnapped, raped, and killed in okinawa japan in 1995. i was 4 years old and living in that area in 1995 O_O omaguh, thats prolly why my mom never let me walk around on my own _-_ well, learning of that event ended up in a long article-reading on wikipedia, and i learned about all sorts of forms of pedophilia XD

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 1:19 pm

AliasPseudonym wrote:
The life cycle of a star is as follows:

First a swirling nebula of gasses forms a disk and collapses inward until it has sufficient mass for fusion. The star begins to shine. It is now a yellow or blue or brown star depending on it's size and composition (the largest stars are blue-white.) The remains of the gas disk may form planets. The star burns for a long time. Eventually it burns through it's entire supply of hydrogen (the easiest burning fusion fuel) and has to switch to burning helium. When this happens the star expands to many times its former size and becomes much cooler than it was before. It is now a red giant or super-giant. The star burns until it has no more helium. Then it switches to the next element. It continues this until it is left with iron. Iron cannot sustain a nuclear furnace, it's reaction isn't strong enough. When small stars hit this stage, they cease to burn. The gas that expanded outward when they became red giants dissipates, leaving only the superheated, superdense core. Larger stars that hit the point where they cannot sustain themselves go out with bang, flinging light and energy and gas out light years into space in all directions, creating nebulae. Then they collapse in on their cores. If the collapse passes an event horizon they shrink into a single point and become and almost infinitely dense black hole from which not even light can escape. If it doesn't they become a superdense white dwarf star or a spinning, flashing pulsar.

The color of a star depends upon its mass and the temperature at which it burns; since this affects the speed of hydrogen fusion, it also reveals the probable lifespan of the star. The hottest stars are blue-white; they tend to burn out after only a few million years. Red stars are the coolest in the visible spectrum - most of them will long outlive our own sun, which has (estimated) another eight billion years to go before it uses up its hydrogen, expands briefly into an orange giant, then shrinks down to red dwarf status.

The decision point between red dwarf and neutron star (which can be a pulsar under the right circumstances) is around 1.5 times the mass of the sun; this is called Chandrasekhar's Limit. The decision point between neutron star and black hole is probably somewhere around five times the mass of the sun - since the calculations regarding singularities are a bit hairy ("and sometimes shoot back" - Heinlein), the answers aren't quite as clear-cut.

AliasPseudonym wrote:
Venus is very similar to Earth in all respects except that it is somewhat closer to the sun. Therefore the oceans boiled away, creating a lethal greenhouse effect and causing hellish conditions which even unmanned probes can barely tolerate.

Erm, not quite. While the mass of Venus is quite similar to that of Earth, its atmosphere contains far more sulfur than ours (partially a result of its failure to develop something similar to our own anaerobic algaes in its early history); those lovely clouds in the telescope are yellow because they're primarily sulfur dioxide, not our own familiar water vapor. In fact, there is very little water vapor in the Venerian atmosphere. The atmosphere is also far denser than ours, which is why the higher winds, which have been clocked in excess of 200 kph, are slowed to a mere 100 kph at the surface. The windspeed is probably due to solar heating, since Venus rotates backward (the sun rises in the west and sets in the east) and very slowly - one Venerian day is slightly longer than one Venerian year. Overall, don't think I'd want a summer house there...

You forgot the fact that Uranus is "upside down" - its north pole is pointed to the south of the Ecliptic, and its south pole points north.

Another random fact - the cocaine in the original Coca-Cola formula was one of the things that led to the formation of the Food and Drug Administration.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 1:22 pm

neo-pagan wrote:
Another fact I just remembered: the original coca cola contained cocaine.

I suppose you could call it cocaine or extract of coca leaf it was/is an elixir, it is not as pure as powder. I’ve had coca leaf tea, it was nice. It helped the altitude sickness I had, didn’t make me high. Powder is way too strong for that. The Indians chew the leaves to help with hunger and the attitude, while up in the mountains, have done for thousand of years.

Freebase is pure non-salt form. Well freebase is the name for any non-salt, not just cocaine but it was the street name for crack in the 60s-70s. Crack is not really pure freebase because it can contain up to 60% of bicarbonate of soda filler.

The production of the intial stage of cocaine cake in jungle labs often results in that person in being seriously disabled or dieing. This is because they need to use sulphuric acid to extract, and they are unable to install any vapour extraction or breathing equipment to protect against the effect of that.

Foreign consumption of ‘carlie’ basically devastates whole communities in South America.

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2008, 1:24 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
The color of a star depends upon its mass and the temperature at which it burns; since this affects the speed of hydrogen fusion, it also reveals the probable lifespan of the star. The hottest stars are blue-white; they tend to burn out after only a few million years. Red stars are the coolest in the visible spectrum - most of them will long outlive our own sun, which has (estimated) another eight billion years to go before it uses up its hydrogen, expands briefly into an orange giant, then shrinks down to red dwarf status.

is it weird that i want to be around on earth to see the sun die? i want to see how people would react (if people are still here by then) what will be done, and the changes that would occur on the earth by the sun turning into an orange giant. i imagine things would get much hotter :o and the insanely-religious would be shoutting about the apocolypse and how our sins caused the sun to die... or something like that. i imagine it to be like in some movies :O and i wanna see it.

drobert
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2008, 1:25 pm

I'm 41. If Wikipedia had existed when I was young, I'd never have set foot outside!

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 1:30 pm

The sperm whale has the largest brain in the animal kingdom, averaging 7.8kg in mature males.

Dolphins have to consciously breath, if they are sedated, they drown. One hemisphere of their brains sleeps at a time so they can continue breathing while asleep.