Page 4 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Draws
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2008, 12:10 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Being by yourself doesn't necessarily mean you're learning at some incredible superhuman rate. Socializing is learning, as well. Socialiazing is actually a pretty good way to learn all kinds of things ... from others.

I never said it did. Yes you can learn things from others, especially if they are already capable of critical thinking and are rational people (I enjoy these type of conversations). Otherwise you just get to hear drab comments about work and the weather or "did you see the latest episode of ____" (Boring).

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 12:15 pm

No NTs who actually knew what Asperger's syndrome was has ever treated me like if I was inferior.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2008, 12:56 pm

as for intelligence of aspies, most aspies are only intelligent because we kind of soak up knowledge, like little sponges. things area easy to learn and easy to remember (so long as its not a boring load of crap). and from what ive noticed on this site, almost everyone can spell correctly, use proper grammar, and overall, just, speak english CORRECTLY. but maybe thats because the people that come here are just generally intelligent? cause were not ALL aspies here *obviously* hmmm...

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2008, 12:58 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Draws wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Draws wrote:
The antisocial ones are the smarter ones.
Quote:

Why do assume that? What correlation is there between intelligence and antisocial behaviour? There is none.

As I mentioned above this is only from my personal experience and rationalized it to be because they spend more time learning things then socializing.

Being by yourself doesn't necessarily mean you're learning at some incredible superhuman rate. Socializing is learning, as well. Socialiazing is actually a pretty good way to learn all kinds of things ... from others.

who said anything about learning at a 'superhuman rate'?

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2008, 1:02 pm

You know, I noticed it creeping in, and frankly stopped posting here. I have to say it's kinda nice to have someone rational point it all out.

Everyone likes to feel superior to other people, but it is kinda over-the-top here.

Not to mention the nastiness that goes on. If we were so logical and rational and such lovely people, would all the flaming go on? I think not...there would be much discussion and debate.

Most everyone I know is NT, and they've got good points and bad just like us.

As for the cure issue...I think too much experimentation is going on on vulnerable children. They can't speak for themselves, and parents are doing terrible things. If there was a cure? I don't know if I'd take it. I am who I am. If there was one and I had a LFA child? I'd do it in a heartbeat. As for my aspie son? Again, I don't know if I would.

As for posting more frequently...this place as devolved a bit...we'll see...

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2008, 1:12 pm

most of the flaming ive seen going around doesnt appear to be unique to these forums. i see alot of the exact same thing on myspace and vampirefreaks. and alot more of it, at that. but thats just cause im a forum junkie

drobert
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2008, 1:32 pm

A lot of aspies have only had their intelligence to be proud of. Many of us were "geeks" or "nerds" in high school; we got beaten up or teased about our intelligence on a daily basis.

Least people can do is allow us this little bit of self-congratulation...

drobert
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2008, 1:33 pm

I'd also like to point out that most aspies who have this arrogance about them are of the younger variety... I was pretty insufferable until I hit my 30s myself...

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Not to mention the nastiness that goes on. If we were so logical and rational and such lovely people, would all the flaming go on? I think not...there would be much discussion and debate.

Quote:
A lot of aspies have only had their intelligence to be proud of. Many of us were "geeks" or "nerds" in high school; we got beaten up or teased about our intelligence on a daily basis.

Self-congratulation is excellent. What is destructive is that...when peoples' egos are based solely on intelligence, all too often people give in to the temptation to prove and/or defend its superiority. Hence flame wars.

drobert
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2008, 1:44 pm

Agreed about the flame wars issue. There's no real need for that, especially here. But based on my own history, I can't be too judgmental about other people going a little overboard about what is probably, unfortunately, their only source of self-esteem.

patternist wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Self-congratulation is excellent. What is destructive is that...when peoples' egos are based solely on intelligence, all too often people give in to the temptation to prove and/or defend its superiority. Hence flame wars.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 1:49 pm

The assertions I see around the place that NTs are boring and all the same are an insult to my choice of friends. I am largely sympathetic to the original poster's stance. However, I still find myself fairly drawn to this forum because unlike a couple of other AS-oriented forums I've been on the "militant" attitudes do not predominate. As for WP well they're there, but there's a pretty wide spread of beliefs and personalities as well.

Q
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2008, 2:55 pm

I would like to point out that I am well aware of many us being hurt by NT's. Thus, NT 'bashing' is by no means an encouraged, but nonetheless acceptable, activity.

To elaborate; I decline judging an NT or an Aspie until I know them;

Fact; What I do know is that all NT's apart from my immediate family have hurt me, a small amount of them actively forming a hate group against me and a more serverly disabled boy who also shared the mantle of being on the Spectrum, he was humored sometimes, other times, he was forced into embarrassing situations in order to get non-existance friendship.

I bear no grudges against NT's, but I will be wary.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 3:15 pm

DeanFoley wrote:
marshall wrote:
I was just thinking about this a bit more. While I agree that the some of the attitudes here are a bit skewed I don’t really see the need to take offense to it. Like intense said I see the reasons why such attitudes occur. Also the number of NT’s who get their feelings hurt by coming to this site and seeing all the negativity is negligibly small compared to what a lot of us have to put up with on a daily basis living in a society that is, as a whole, very intolerant of differences. I guess I just have more sympathy for the underdogs of society than the majority. People who feel the need to harp like the OP did come across as being motivated by self-righteousness to me. I don't see how he can really be as offended as he pretends to be.

Yes, everyone who disagrees with you is just pretending.

Come to think of it, when did I say I was offended? It's not about being offended, and quite frankly it wouldn't matter if there wasn't asingle NT who came on this site and got offended by it.

THESE ATTITUDES ARE STILL STUPID, WRONG, ARROGANT, IGNORANT AND A WHOLE PLETHORA OF OTHER THINGS.

An opinion can be arrogant; it can be ignorant... but it isn't your place, or anyone else's, to determine whether they are right - and most certainly improper to call another person's opinion stupid. You find their views in stark contrast to your own, which is your right as well. Might I suggest posting your own thoughts instead of attacking others? You might find more effect there. As it stands, you come across as upset, ranting, and offended - this is gleaned from your word choice, pacing, capitalization and repetition of concept. Again - it is not up to you to judge another's opinion. You can be frustrated, upset, but it isn't your decision.

Let's turn the situation around - what about those who would fall under the classification of NT who have superiority or inferiority complexes? I do not seem them targeted with the same venom as those on the spectrum who have the same thought process.

Quote:
-Asperger Syndrome is a power given from God.

Disagree with that statement, though I can allow that those of a religious persuasion may identify it as a blessing or a curse. Just does not compute for me in that context.

Quote:
-Asperger Syndrome gives you logical thinking and rationality.

No, although due to the lack of external influences there does seem to be a tendency for logical processes to overrule instincts. This could be perceived, or adopted, as a positive trait. Nothing wrong with turning something into a positive for yourself.

Quote:
-Most Neurotypical's view us as inferior, sub-human beings.

Generalization, in my opinion. Many individuals here have taken their lumps from others who don't understand; in that pain, the identification is like a shotgun instead of a sniper rifle... a lot of collateral damage. As experience is refined, the true culprits do begin to appear.

Quote:
-Neurotypical's are going to attempt genocide on us.

Given the inclination within society to eliminate those outside of norms, and the historical patterns of both distant cultures and our own medical culture allowing for such selective termination... while I am leery of the term genocide, I do not think that a dose of concern is unwarranted here. The passage "they came for _____, and I did nothing" is coming to mind here. Awareness is not paranoia; all a matter of degree, and some do take it to extremes.

Quote:
-Aspies are ''closer to God''.

See first answer; on here, I've seen it more as a question than a declarative statement.

Quote:
-Aspies are some ''other'', more evolved race.

Other race? Bah. Is it a different subset within humanity? Sure - as it having blue eyes, or six toes, or hair loss. Any characteristics can be used to define a group; there are those who feel their personal strengths give them an advantage over others... regardless of the veracity of such statements, it is their belief to have. It is not up to you to judge others or change their mind because of their methods of adapting. What works for one will not work for another. The concept advocated of ASD supremacy seems extraordinarily out-there to me... I have some things I can do much better than most; other things I am relatively helpless/clueless as to what to do or how to react. Am I better than other people? In most cases, there will be something I can do better than another; at the same time, I feel confident in my knowledge that there are things others can do far superior to my efforts. Am different, and using those to my advantage instead of my detriment - and on that basis, I'm proud of myself. There are many I've encountered in life who do not make that choice.... so perhaps I allow myself a small sense of superiority in knowing that I have chosen this path instead of allowing it to rule me.

Quote:
-Aspies will save the world somehow, against the ''New World Order'' or something else. ''Vanguards of cretion''.

All groups and individuals have aspirations. Religions proclaim to 'save' their worshippers, for example. If you don't buy in, don't join. Optimism isn't a bad thing unless carried to the point of delusion.

Quote:
-Neurotypical's are evil, at least that's the vibe I'm getting from people on here...

See above: A lot of hurt people, and a lot of generalizations that are hard to recognize as such. People fear what they do not understand... is it surprising, given the impact to communication and understanding, that there would be fear, anger and hostility?

Quote:
-A cure will be mandatory.

Even if not mandatory, the effects of discrimination (insurance, employment) can lead to such a system. At a young age, there may not be the same experience with groups or organizations to develop that sense of caution when such options are proffered.

I'm proud of who I am, what I accomplish, and where I am headed. This includes AS. If you have a problem with that... well, that is exactly what it is - your problem. That other people have disparate viewpoints does not change who I am or what I believe, and if it works for them without hurting others, I'm all for it. Sometimes, we need to see the end of the tunnel, even if we only tell ourselves that it is there, in order to keep our feet moving in progress.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 3:42 pm

Ishmael wrote:
Emotions are fallible. Neurotypicals function emotionally. They are therefore inferior.
I function logically. I can survive.

If I need to kill a man to survive; I will weigh that and act accordingly.
If a "normal person" needs to kill a man to survive; he will weigh his emotions. If the man he needed to kill was me - he'd be dead.

Spoken like a true Cyberman.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 4:48 pm

DeanFoley wrote:
I'm aware I'll probably rile a lot of people and get a lot of flak for what I'm about to type, but it drives me utterly mad to rea.........................................

am agree,and it would be nice if it was listened to,am would like to see WP set example by having understanding and awareness of other autisms and neurological types [eg,NT],rather than treating non aspies as lesser beings.
there has been a lot of ignorance of LFA here,one user even saying should all be put on an island and left to slowly die because of the burden on others,it's the same sort of ignorance that am and others here have grown up hearing off own family,teachers,and support staff.

though,am do not think this is all just a WP thing or other autism website thing,as am use a disability forum [used by users with all types of disability] and a lot of the mobility impaired users there treat those with LD/DD/mental illness/any other non physical-mobility related disability as being against them and never experiencing discrimination like them,they think disability is only disability if are not able bodied and use the term- AB to mean what anti NT users use NT for,not all users of the word AB do it to mean that but it isn't just a problem here.
the nicer users on that forum say it's called 'a heirachy of impairment'.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2008, 5:24 pm

DeanFoley wrote:
I'm aware I'll probably rile a lot of people and get a lot of flak for what I'm about to type, but it drives me utterly mad to read this rubbish and not say anything.

I'm just so sick and tired of the amount of arrogance, stupidity and plain ignorance about AS and Autism as a whole by too many members here. NT's are being described as these...intolerant, hateful, demonic, semi-intelligent beings and Aspies here seem to think this is some...higher power.

I've seen it in so many forms. Here are a few examples...

-Asperger Syndrome is a power given from God.
-Asperger Syndrome gives you logical thinking and rationality.
-Most Neurotypical's view us as inferior, sub-human beings.
-Aspies are ''closer to God''.
-Aspies are some ''other'', more evolved race.
-Aspies will save the world somehow, against the ''New World Order'' or something else. ''Vanguards of cretion''.
-Neurotypical's are evil, at least that's the vibe I'm getting from people on here...

This is just a few of the many.

Autism is not a ''strength''. It is not giving you rational thought, it is not making you intelligent. I've seen a great, GREAT deal of people here say or imply that Aspies are more logical, more rational(including Alex himself, found here-http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt63192.html).

Apparently, Aspies are also more open-minded, friendly, kind, helpful...give me a break.

Look, before I go on, let me say: I am not trying to advocate a cure(though I would take one). I am not trying to say we are inferior or make us feel shame. But the absence of shame doesn't mean this much pride should take its place! Heck, it isn't even pride, it's arrogance and ignorance. Neurotypical's are NOT these evil people who are dedicated to making you suffer. They are billions of people, and extremely diverse in views. They are not ''dumber'', they do not suffer from a poorer sense of logic or whatever.

And as for the suggesstion that they will attempt genocide...

I...just...

How...?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

And then some people have the idea that God(who I don't believe in, for the record) gave them this innate ''gift''. Some people even believe we are ''closer'' to God...

My response:

ARE YOU INSANE?

Let's assume, for a moment, that God is real. That the Bible is the truth, all this holy yada yada exists. HOW IS AUTISM HOLY IN THE SLIGHTEST? WHAT GIVES PEOPLE THE TINIEST HINT THAT IT IS CONNECTED TO GOD?

And then there's the people who think we are a ''threat'' to evil. That the ''NWO'' or some other sh** conspiracy-Sorry, I mean someone's ''political views'' are in danger due to Aspies presence. WE ARE NOT SOME RACE OF X-MEN.

And if a cure is developed, no one is going to drive a white van up to your home, bash the door down and drag you off in the nght, strap you to a chair and administer it.

And stop all this feverent ''NO CURE'' rubbish! Fine, you don't want one...well what about the people who DO? If a cure is developed, everyone can be happy. Those who want it can have it, those who don't...well, don't HAVE to take it. What about OTHER forms of Autism, hmm? Because they suffer...greatly.

In conclusion, I am not saying we are sub-human.

But neither are the Neurotypical's. We are not above them, or below them. I feel no shame, but I also feel no pride. This is not something to be worn with a badge of honour, it's just...there. You are not uber logical because of it, and NT's aren't evil and plotting genocide.

Thank you and good day.

I agree with the vast majority of what you write here. There are however, a couple things I disagree with.

DeanFoley wrote:

For one, genocide is not in this context referring to us being lined up and killed, or that autistic people as a group are going to be killed or anything like that.

It refers to the development of a pre-natal test, combined with the overly negative, stereotype-reinforcing ad campaigns (and I'm not referring here to the existence of significantly disabled autistics being portrayed; rather I am referencing when people compare the existence of autistics to being like "kidnappings", "slaughter", and "empty shells"). About 90% of those who test positive pre-natally for Down Syndrome are aborted. The prevention of births within a group is what makes it constitute genocide, eugenics at the very least (really they go hand in hand).

As for a cure being mandatory, think about it: autism is being diagnosed earlier and earlier, often at ages 2-4. A child doesn't get to make a choice about whether they'd rather be autistic or not, and I know that when I was a kid, I didn't really understand what autism really means, or how much of my behaviors and thoughts and perceptions were part of "autism" and how much were just other aspects of me.

Also, so many parents are provided gloom and doom outlooks about their children, whether from doctors, adverts, or other sources parents are referred to. And many parents who now do not seek to eliminate autism, used to when their child was newly diagnosed. The vast majority of parents would opt to make their child non-autistic of their own accord.

But let's look at it as far as the governments would be concerned. Autism is usually looked at by such officials as a disease or tragedy, and for further evidence of this attitude, look at the wording: "The Combating Autism Act of 2006". Autism is very much looked at as a problem that needs fixing, and people representing autism organizations have said that autism is worse than cancer.

So if a parent decided to let their child be autistic, or make their own choice when older, this would be looked at as a parent depriving their child of a necessary medical treatment, and their child would likely be taken away, and subsequently "cured".

But I do very much agree with your other points; aspie supremacy is just as bad as NT supremacy, so while I can understand some people's want to feel superior after so many years being made to feel inferior, it doesn't make it right.

And while I believe in God, autistics are no closer to God than any other person, and I find such views otherwise to be insulting.

I also don't like it when someone will say, "autism is never a disability - if it's a disability for you, then it must be bad, and you should be cured, unlike minimally disabled autistics or non-disabled autistics". THAT'S quite insulting as well.

EDIT: BTW, I also want to emphasize - IT'S NOT LIKE A SECRET CONSPIRACY OF NTS PLAN TO CREATE GENOCIDE. When someone describes the above that I wrote as genocide, the vast, vast majority of times, they don't mean that it's a big conspiracy or that the people trying to cause it explicitly "hate" autistics, it's a much subtler thing, much more out in the open than that (if the people attempting this outright said they hate autistics and want to get rid of us, then it would be much more clear cut, and hard to get support for their goals). The people attempting this have good intentions, mostly, but you know what they say about the paving of the road to hell...

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat